User Tag List

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trochoid and rotor shapes are mathematical expressions. As such, the max compression is dictated by the geometry chosen at the start. What is known as the "K" factor (r/e- generating radius over eccentric) determines the max compression due to geometry. The race engine started at 8.5/1 and went to 10/1.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    The trochoid and rotor shapes are mathematical expressions. As such, the max compression is dictated by the geometry chosen at the start. What is known as the "K" factor (r/e- generating radius over eccentric) determines the max compression due to geometry. The race engine started at 8.5/1 and went to 10/1.
    Was that the max?
    Last edited by powerabout; 02-12-2023 at 07:26 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall
    is a rotary more or less prone to detonation and or poor fuel?
    Happy on methanol?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    is a rotary more or less prone to detonation and or poor fuel?
    Happy on methanol?
    Because of the long flame travel and slow burning, the rotary can run on low octane fuel w/o fear of detonation. The race engine ran on 87 octane pump gas. The rotary loves alcohol as it has higher heat of vaporization and requires a higher volume of fuel. Both are good for internal cooling.

6. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it very interesting that 50 yrs. later there is still a lot of interest in the OMC rotary race engines. I wonder what the turn out would be if one would run again for exhibition?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it very interesting that 50 yrs. later there is still a lot of interest in the OMC rotary race engines. I wonder what the turn out would be if one would run again for exhibition?
    As you know a 2 rotor can make more power today so even a 3 rotor race outboard would be a weapon today

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely John..and the funny part is the Rotary race engine got lots of attention in Swedish media also 1973.
    Swedish media was not famous for writing about boat racing but the OMC Rotary got headlines.

It was only Mercury and Jackie hating the OMC Rotary.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rotary sweden.jpg  
    Last edited by lars strom; 02-13-2023 at 06:43 PM.

10. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12. Thanks powerabout, RogerH thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a fantastic video. Finally a video that isn't "politically correct". ALL of our social media should be this frank & honest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars strom View Post
    Absolutely John..and the funny part is the Rotary race engine got lots of attention in Swedish media also 1973.
    Swedish media was not famous for writing about boat racing but the OMC Rotary got headlines.

It was only Mercury and Jackie hating the OMC Rotary.

WHOA — HOLD ON THERE LASSIE ——- I HAVE NEVER “HATED’. The Wankel —- all i stated were “THE FACTS —AND NOTHING BUT THE FACTS”.
    NOT ONE SINGLE CAR MANUFACTURER EVER MADE A SUCCESS OF IT [ MAZDA DROPPED IT BECAUSE OF THE LAW SUITS ON UNRELIABILITY.]
    WHEN DAIMLER -BENZ AND ROLLS ROYCE ——-DROPPED THEIR LICENCES ALONG WITH THE ITALIAN -FRENCH AND AMERICAN MARQUES — I HAVE THIS FUNNY FEELING THERE HAS TO BE A FUNDAMENTAL FLAW IN THE DESIGN.
    Lets face it the most ROTORY’S Running at any one time in OMC was 6 [six] .
    End of any race it was usually only one and that was on a wing and a prayer.
    I love anything new in powerboating —- it was a bold and brave idea—- if it had ever been any good [and available] i would have bought one.
    HAND ON HEART— I HAVE NEVER “HATED THE ROTORY”
    YOU ON THE OTHER HAND HAVE EXTOLLED VIRTUES IT NEVER HAD —- IT WAS THIRSTY ——EXPENSIVE—-UNRELIABLE——-NOISY——FAST. [WHEN IT WAS UP AND RUNNING]
    ALWAYS CAME ROUND FIRST AT PARKER —- BUT THAT WAS IT —- NEVER SHOWED FOR THE SECOND LAP ????????????
    EVEN OMC THREW IN THE TOWEL ON THE PROJECT——- ONLY A HANDFUL WERE EVER MADE —AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE ARE ONLY 4 [FOUR] STILL LEFT IN EXISTENCE ???????

It was a brave and bold venture by CHARLIE STRANG, but it clearly was never the raging success that you claimed it was . [just the facts Lassie —nothing but the facts}
    Just when I thought we were getting on so well again!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie: Your "FACTS" are wrong, and you have a definite negative bias towards the rotary. Mazda did not drop the rotary because of lawsuits. As a matter of "fact", they are still producing rotaries. One running hydrogen and another as a range extender in a hybrid. The RX-8 was discontinued due to emission standards, and many are still running today with more than 100,000 miles. "Never showed up on the second lap"; wrong again. Posey ran for over an hour and if my memory is correct lead all but the 7 l hydro for that period of time. " Wing and a prayer" Galveston 1-2-3-4; Provo, won and lapped the field several times; Lake Carol 1-2-3-4, By the way, what happened to the Cosworth KT at Parker? Anyone who has the gaul to take a F-1 automotive engine, lay it down and couple it to a stern drive and try to call it and outboard, shouldn't be criticizing others. Even though the same UIM that you have repeatedly called inept, unqualified and complete idiots OK'd it. Parker didn't. Enjoy your holiday and leave the rotaries alone. Ask your buddy Bill about
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barry woods.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	526988 them in Paris.

16. Thanks lars strom, techteam, Bob V thanked for this post
    Likes techteam, Bob V liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Johnno so if they were that good ——why did OMC drop Them.?????
    Just how many did OMC produce in total [outboards that is]?????
    So quote me the rotory cars that Mazda are producing today —-not experimental——hydrogen ==electric or any of the cuckoo land stuff .
    THERE WERE OVER 7,000 LAWSUITS IN THE USA ALONE AGAINST THE MAZDA ROTORY
    Twas not a case of me “having the Gall” to call the COSWORTH an outboard——according to the UIM [who i still have a very low opinion of], it qualified as an outboard .
    Anyone who did not love the Wankel has no right to an opinion—is that right ?????
    Be honest Johnno——the rotory was plagued with breakages and reliability—— it simply did not come up to Muster or OMC’s standards’
    Without repeating myself ——no one has ever tamed and made a success of the Wankel .
    Was a good effort by OMC but never won the KEWPIE Doll >
    The COSWORTH gave a good account of herself at Parker ———circumstances beyond my control came into being——which prevented it from finishing higher up the order .
    WAS a COSWORTH ENGINEERING experiment——— whole project was thought of —- built —executed and then retired after less than a year [ i was only the driver who thought up the idea and approached KEITH DUCKWORTH with it !!!!!!]
    Didnt the UIM give you a very hard time over the rotory —— could not be fitted into any known class- finally made an obscure hydroplane experimental class OZ the Run what you brung class—anything goes—- fit ten of ‘em on the transom if you like and it will be allowed to run. No rules or limits ?????????????
    Last edited by jackiewilson; 11-21-2023 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Racing 2-3 and finally won Le Mans with a 4 rotor.
    787 limited to 650 hp for endurance
    Wiki
    "The engineers at Mazdaspeed determined that fuel efficiency was crucial for achieving victory so they restricted the redline of the engine to 8,500 rpm thus reducing the power output to 650 hp (485 kW). Emphasis was put on high cornering speeds rather than attaining high top speeds at the straight sections of the track".
    Last edited by powerabout; 11-21-2023 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go and buy one when you get back Jackie. https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/mazda-mx-30-r-ev/ it will change your life

20. Likes powerabout liked this post
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast