Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm hearing two sides to the story....Lol! Reason I'm swapping them out is just to get a matching set. Motor isnt running right, bottom carb either has too much fuel in the bowl or it ends up empty(needle sticks). Ive replaced the needle, needle seat, copper gasket, needle levers, and floats twice now and I've had it with these things lol. Guy I bought it from didnt know his a** from a hole in the ground and screwed something up although I cant seem to find it. Want to throw a matching set on to see if that helps...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I've no doubt been destroying my motor trying to fix this problem with no fuel/oil to two cylinders at least sometimes, I just want to get on the water and not have any worries...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frostydevil View Post
    Now I'm hearing two sides to the story....Lol! Reason I'm swapping them out is just to get a matching set. Motor isnt running right, bottom carb either has too much fuel in the bowl or it ends up empty(needle sticks). Ive replaced the needle, needle seat, copper gasket, needle levers, and floats twice now and I've had it with these things lol. Guy I bought it from didnt know his a** from a hole in the ground and screwed something up although I cant seem to find it. Want to throw a matching set on to see if that helps...
    Just curious how you know it "ends up empty". I understand how you know "too much". I assume it floods out the vent hole. You mentioned that the two sets of carbs have different tops. If the originals have the flat float bowl cover, have you removed the brass nipple that connects the hose to the carb? Some of the flat tops had a metal screen filter in the top behind that nipple. They would always cause a problem on the bottom carb first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I did not know that. I will definitely check that out. How I know its empty you say? Well I've been trying to fix this prob for about a month now. I can probably take the carbs off with my eyes shut and one hand tied behind my back by now. What the problem is, it will run great for awhile, then bottom two cylinders cut out. I would run it, and when it starts actin up, I let the motor kill itself, and pull the covers right away. Top two carbs are where they should be, bottom one more often than not is empty. I've been fixing it trying different things with the parts I have, run it on a flush device, runs good (great), take it out on the water, runs great for about 2 passes around the lake full throttle at 5200 rpm with a 19p prop on a 17ft fiberglass tri-hull, which would be about 15 min, then it starts sputterin, or, I will stop, anchor, have a beer to celebrate its fixed, go to start it up 1/2 hr - 45 min later and she runs like crap. Ive been saying wtf fer too long now, lol. I did not know there was a screen in there, but when I blow through hose for covers, it blows free, and when I hold them upside down, no air gets through. Ive checked each one individually. I am at a loss. Willing to try and look at everything.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you have a restriction somewhere between middle and bottom carb. If the screen I mentioned is not there causing the problem, you might check/replace the hoses between the carbs. If they are old hoses they are not alcohol resistant and may be expanding internally enough to restrict the fuel flow.

You have the symptoms of a leaking exhaust plate gasket, which is a common problem with these motors. However that does not explain the bottom bowl being empty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaking exhaust plate gasket eh? What other symptoms of this condition shall I look for to help diagnose this headache of mine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frostydevil View Post
    Leaking exhaust plate gasket eh? What other symptoms of this condition shall I look for to help diagnose this headache of mine.
    Water spots on the spark plugs if it has just been run or rust spots on the plugs if it's been sitting for a few days without being run.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that would be a definite no then. No water inside combustion chamber.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the 90hp carbs couple hrs ago. Measured the throat, its the same as my 115hp carbs at 1.400", venturi's are exactly alike, idle tube measures a .004 increase, main nozzle sits the same height and is the same ID, main jet is at .070 which would make the carbs from a motor at the highest elevation on the chart - Damn! lol Stopped a the local marina and ordered a set of .074's (.002 bigger than sea level size). All in all, I think I'm gonna run em once and then check the plugs to see if I cant tell how its runnin. hard to tell sometimes with no-foul flat permagap ngk plugs lol. But won't get the jets till tuesday cause they couldnt order them anymore today and had to wait till monday to oder. Double damn! I just want to be on the water!
    Last edited by frostydevil; 05-15-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling error lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a newb here but having similar issues with an inline 6 90hp that's been in storage a long time. How'd the carbs work for you?

I have three carb kits on order, already replaced two floats, cleaned needles /seats a bunch of times, replaced plugs a couple times, etc. Runs fine no load, won't hardly get out of it's own way under load, and at some throttle settings surges.

Time to bite the bullet and pull all the carbs off and rebuild, should get to that in a week or so - I just hope I don't screw up the linkages getting them removed / installed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool merc

if the motor has been in storage for a long time...just a thought, but if it runs fine under no load, and you put a load on it, sometimes the crankseals can be an issue. I replaced a bearing cap on my merc because the bearing felt tighter, and it did (smaller motor) but it ran crappy until I put new seals in it, now it has a 14' rooster tail...
    Shawn
    ______
    CstockHydro/25SS
    StingRaySS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well - I'm still waiting for the carb parts to show up - so I can finish the rebuilds and get them installed. They'll have all new floats, all new 74 jets needle and seats, inlet and vent hoses.

I soaked them for about a half hour in gallon can of carb cleaner - I was tempted to leave them in much longer - but with some of the plastic parts I didn't want to risk it.

I sure hope this solves the problem and I don't have to dig into crank seals... I see your point however.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never soak a carb with plastic pieces in carb cleaner.
    Remove the air jet from the top of the float bowl.
    Set the idle mixture at 2 turns out.
    Replace the needles and seats and make sure the seats tighten down until flush in the float bowl caps.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jeff - I'll let you know how this turns out... still waiting on parts so I can re-assemble these things.

How critical is the float spring height - I have two different specs from two different sources.... the same two sources have different specs for the needle drop setting of the two arms....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2