Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will a 225 J fit on my 150 J setup!!

I have a 1990 J Craft 19.5 with a 150 Johnson- running great but came across a 1993- this is the ad--"here is a 1993 225hp johnson vro
    vro removed, needs a tune up and to be looked over. Has 50 hrs on rebuild. foot is pinned and stainless rakker 24pitch prop reworked to 26...
    make me an offer.. selling with or without boat, need cash and fast..."

Will it fit on my setup without control, mounting changes?

If so - what are good questions to ask before I buy?

Any issues with these motors?

Any other help would be appreciated - btw, he is asking $3k.

Thanks in advance - people on this site have helped me a great deal!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will fit and work fine. Flat Out (who I haven't seen here in forever) has two J Crafts with 225s.

Just remember the J is a water ski boat, and will never be the fastest boat around.

Have a leak down test done on the motor before buying.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 Swap

A 225 should swap onto your J easily. You probably have the large red plug at the motor. Cables should be the same. Check were the wires go through the cowling. On an older motor the cables are on the left as you look at the front of the motor and the wire harness, trim harness,fuel line,oil line are on the right. On the 93 I think that all the wires,cables etc go through the left side all together then the wire harness, fuel and oil lines snake over to the right side of the motor. Hopefully you have enough length.
    Make sure your transom is solid that 225 weighs 450 lbs almost 100 lbs more than the 150 and has a bunch more torque.
    As Dave said do a leak down if at all possible. It woud be nice to hear it running if it still on a boat, even better to put that boat in the water and go for a drive. It may sound good running in a driveway but the real test is in the water under load. If you are planning to buy this motor see if you can get all the controls and rigging with it.
    What are you going to do with the 150 ?
    Give me a call if yoy have any questions, I'm not always near the computer I have 3 kids that usually beat me to it.

Sean 647 393 7326
    Sean, 19 J-Craft ,225 Johnson
    If everything seems to be going well,you have obviously overlooked something