Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been in and out of both jets and v-drives i have concluded that the way to go is to have one of each. I wont take my kids out in the v-drive for fear they will get hurt. but we have a blast with the jet every weekend. with a moderate 454 with bassett through transom exaust, a dominator pump, a droop snoot and a place diverter, manual by the way as you can get your rooster up instantly or down if need be as apossed to the hyd. i run 65 on gps. but when i want to get my own rush i climb into my '68 Hallet v-drive with a 390 ford, nothing radical and it wil run close to 80 in the right conditions. but the ride is rough and you always feel on the edge. Good for the adrenlin rush. the key is proper cav plate adj to control it. One cool factor for a V is a good punch of the throttle just on plane and you can leap the whole boat prop and all out of the water. and the acceleration is awesome. if i had to keep one however the jet would be the one in the driveway habds down every time.

20' kustom Kratf 454 jet
    19' Hallet flat bottom v-drive 390 ford
    20' Clolorado customs full roller 350 jet
    Carlson CVX17 140 Evinrude
    Texas boats 16' bubble deck Johnson 135
    30' Tahiti twin sbc's with volvo 280's
    Vette

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
    Im 47 and have been around and owned V-Drives all my life.
    This is going to be interesting, The only Reason anybody would own a "Jet Boat" Is where you use it, shallow water with rocks is the only place for a Jet.
    1) The most inefficient manner of propulsion Design ever Made, they also suck up the fuel big time. Jet boats are always wide open, because the have to be turn that little pump.
    2) when you loose power in a turn (if it should ever happen) you loose your steering, this can also happen to V-Drives but not as severe.
    3) don't ever let someone tell you that their jet boat hauls ass unless it has at least 1000Hp then you might see 100mph
    4) The proper V-Drive set up, will last decades, yes thats more than ten years !!
    5) The Gear Boxes are Bullet Proof, you can put any HP and it can handle it.
    6) Yes they do have transmissions TH400 to name one that is widly used , the prior gentleman is refering to the older "Crash Box" wth no trans, you would put it in gear directly at the gear box.(used in older Flatty's)
    7) Flatbottoms are a blast, but not family friendly, you need a Daycruiser.
    with a semi-v , Schiada, Howard, Hallet, Demarco, Brummett, Raysoncraft are some of the best V-Drive Boat MFG's
    8) You can change the gear ratios & props with ease with a V-Drive, to do whatever you want, pull the kids around or go fast.
    9) Hole shot with a Jet Boat in the same sentance, I don't think so Timmy !! that one made me Laugh Histerically, your killin me on that one.
    10) I forgot what ten was for......

So get out there and start looking for a V-drive, once you own one you'll never go back.........Happy Boating
    I think Vdrives are cool, and absolutly think some are totally badass but this post is full of inaccurate claims to say the least.

Jetboats are no more "always wide open" than any other form of boat. They are wide open when you want to run wide open???? isnt that the way almost all inboard/outboard/sterndrive boats work?

Lots of jetboats hit 100 with way less than 1000 hp. Dont use hulls designed in the 1960's as examples of the "current wave" of jetboat technology.

I'd be willing to bet a jetboat drivetrain properly maintained would last way way way longer than a vdrive setup AND that maintenance would be far easier and much less time consuming.

You've obviously been around some pretty funny setups in jetboats if you've never expereinced good holeshot in one.

As I said vdrives are cool but from a cost/practicality/mtc/drivability standpoint I would say the jet wins hands down for a family boat.

Cheers
    "If you ain't hittin bottom.....you ain't jetboatin!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hole shot in a jet boat... aren't the sprint guys doing 0 - 80mph in about 3 seconds? Don't know of many props that can get that sort of grip...

Oh yeah, and when cornering they're getting something like 4g lateral

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hole shot

when everyone has whiplash the next day, you have holeshot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not to hijack but after reading all this about hulls and jets and everything wondering if i bought a terd. never had it in the water yet bit of a project just reading and trying to learn. 21' kona daycruiser with 455 olds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kona151 View Post
    not to hijack but after reading all this about hulls and jets and everything wondering if i bought a terd. never had it in the water yet bit of a project just reading and trying to learn. 21' kona daycruiser with 455 olds
    Lots of great deals on jetboats these days in this economy, what did ya pay and what did ya get? pics?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $900 bad starter and interior, and double knobber stereo with tape deck, ha ha. motor has performer intake. dont know if its any good but hardin ex manifolds and valve covers, berkely jet oh and holley 750dp worth it . no pics yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if all else fails, you got intake and exhaust manifolds, carb and berkley pump for not bad money...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha ha. i feel better all ready. thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kona151 View Post
    ha ha. i feel better all ready. thanks
    Even alot of "good" interiors" are bad LOL

pump is worth that more than likely, if its on a trailer I dont think you possibly could have gone wrong

Does it float? lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it should, for atleast a couple minutes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kona on a positive note there are a lot of parts available out there to be had for the 455 olds. A few common problems that can come up related to the 455 is if you run full pump pressure to the motor the olds is the most suseptable to blowing a manifold gasket out of all the powerplants out there. a berkeley will produce about 150 pounds of pressure and the motor only needs around 15 lbs. If not equipped with a bypass regulator you might consider one. the other thing to keep an eye on is oil pressure. when run at wide open throttle for extended periods of time the iol ends up in the top of the motor and soesnt have time to get back to the pump. thus causing bearings to run dry and, well we all know what happens then. a good pan with a kick out and higher capacity will help. There are however many olds motors out there. the w30 which was produced for comercial and marine was in the range of 400hp and 500 ft lbs of tourque from the factory. and for what its worth 900 bucks was a very good price for this boat. this w30 was in my 20' kustom kraft. With an "a" cut and a stainless bowl, droop snoot, place diverter and a common intake grate it would run 68 on gps. and that is factory stock for the motor. I have seen some very good running jets running 455s that run past me with no problem. and as for good deals out there all i have to say is yes there are some very good deals. 1100 bucks for the boat in the pick. good luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6728.jpg   IMG_6725.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Not to be disagreeable but NO v-drives have torque converters.
    It serves no purpose at all in a boat. There is no need to stall the drivetrain with the trans in gear like there is in a car.

If by some chance someone didn't know what they were doing and installed a torque converter you should remove it.

Thank you Unchained, We got the direct drive for the tranny today Everything is going back together this weekend boat should be out and about by next weekend. We went to the drag boat races at lake Creve Coeur over the weekend and talked to a couple v-drive racers and they all say pretty much the same thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put a Place Diverter on my 72 Marlin, I got the one with the adjustable nozzle and side mount manual control. I works great - adjusts the trim - ride of the boat and shoots a great rooster tail!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4