Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water where it shouldn't be!!!

I swear this motor is gonna kill me. I have recently put a new waterpump(housing and impeller)in the 69 johnson. When i first drained the L.u. oil i noticed that it was very black, Was "milky", but had no metal chips in it. Milky is supposed to mean there is water getting in right? So anyway i put the new waterpump in and reassembled the lower unit and put in new type "c" lower unit lube. (its electric shift) i took the boat out twice since then and when i got home i figured id check the lower unit oil. When i opened the vent hole, some water(very little) flowed out and then the oil started to come. What are some ways the water could be getting in and what is the most likely. It could be as simple as the vent and filler seals or as hard as the damn prop seal. Im just worried because it is an electric shift motor. Water and elctricity scare me. Any help or input you could give me would be great.
    16' Sea Star
    '69 Johnson Hydro Electric 85hp
    "Im startin with nothin and im hoping to have most of it left when im done"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

water and electricity?

don't worry about that the amount of electricity in that lower unit won't hurt anything. best thing to do is make sure the drain screw seals are good. Go to the Evinrude parts house and get some drain seals (PN# 311598) see if it still leaks and if it does take it to the dealer and have it pressure checked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    type c is for electro-matic gearcases.you have a hydro electric gearcase,not the same lube type.the older (electromatics) are the only cases that require type c. use evinrude Hi-vis or Merc hi-perf lube. the type c is to thin for the bearing/gear loads produced by that motor.when lube is black or stinks the lube properites are wore out.the electromatics (OBs and stern drives)have a large spring spring wraped around a steel hub, these parts needed the TYPE "C".YOUR case only shifts with electric solonoids that change the flow of lube to move the clutchdog on the propshaft.-th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most common place for those to leak will be the drive shaft, prop shaft or where the electric cable goes into the housing
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .