Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with a bayjet pump

I bought a 1972 rebel with a 455 and a bayjet pump and I can't turn the pump even with a large screwdriver, I unbolted the 4 bolts that hold the short cvjoint to the back of the flywheel, there is very little play to move it back from the flywheel so I am wondering if there is some sort of alignment pin that could be keeping it from turning? I took off the cover and can see the shaft and impellor move just a couple of degrees back and forth. and yes I am new to jets and trying to learn all I can but the more I read here, I more I think I bought a ton of trouble, anybody know about Bayjets brand?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bayjet

Once you unbolt the flange your pump should turn. Has this boat sat-up for any time? Sounds like it may be siezed. Jet boats are a blast but require constant owner attention. Don't get discouraged the work is well paid for when you take it out for the first time. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic427 View Post
    I bought a 1972 rebel with a 455 and a bayjet pump and I can't turn the pump even with a large screwdriver, I unbolted the 4 bolts that hold the short cvjoint to the back of the flywheel, there is very little play to move it back from the flywheel so I am wondering if there is some sort of alignment pin that could be keeping it from turning? I took off the cover and can see the shaft and impellor move just a couple of degrees back and forth. and yes I am new to jets and trying to learn all I can but the more I read here, I more I think I bought a ton of trouble, anybody know about Bayjets brand?
    Look fear in the eyes and laugh!
    If you're here to have a good time, enjoy yourself.
    If you're here to be a grammar whore, troll, or arrogant nit picker then please leave now!

79' Allison GT-20
    V4 OMC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes the boat sat up for several years, the boat was rebuilt and so was the pump, thats why I bought it, for 1000 bucks, but I couldn't turn the moter over so I popped the heads off today.... three cylinders were filled with rust so motor has to come all the way out and get rebored and a rebuild kit bought and now the pump won't turn either.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been there

I bought a 21' taylor SS with a 460 Ford when I was 18. My first performance boat. Two months later I spun the rod bearings. I worked as a mechanic at the time so luckily I had some knoledge. I spent a load of money rebuilding and "hopping" up the engine myself and put it back together and it ran great for a summer. When I was rebuilding it I installed a high volume oil pump, BUT i did not prep the engine for high volume oil flow. Long story short I was running the crank dry by pumping all the oil to the heads and i spun the bearings again. It sat for a season then I rebuilt it again and installed a stock spec oil pump and sold it. Boy was that boat some fun! nothing like throwing a HUGE rooster tail going down the river. Well good luck with the boat, I sure wish I had this site to refer to when I was working on my jet. Any other questions I'll be glad to try and help. You may want to contact American Turbine for info on your pump, That is where I would start. Good luck
    Look fear in the eyes and laugh!
    If you're here to have a good time, enjoy yourself.
    If you're here to be a grammar whore, troll, or arrogant nit picker then please leave now!

79' Allison GT-20
    V4 OMC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe the bay jet is a berkeley style clone , also there should be many choices for you in finding a jet guru in ca. not sure of your location but greg shoemaker in the la area as g and s marine comes to mind, and should be able to help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm in sacramento, motor is no problem but the pump might be the thing that makes me junk it and start with another boat