Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's so great about the Bidgeport?

I'm looking at a mid 80's Bidgeport 2.4 and was wondering what is so good about them? What questions should I ask and how many HP are they?
    thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.4 240hp i believe if they are the center horns!
    1988 reaction19-sold
    1978 action20 w/ 250 efi-sold
    2003 quartershot T4-sold
    1978 16 action with 15'' 2.4 -sold
    1979 mako21 w/ evinrude 150 faststrike-sold
    1995 18 ACTION COPY w/ CCMS HO2FO!-sold
    1981 24' manta w/ a v8

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The term "Bridgeport" from my GoKart racing days was coined by the need to have an exhaust port so large that the rings would pop out of the lands and snag in the port, in order to turn massive RPM and scavage better.

To stop the rings from protruding/snagging, a vertical partition [bridge] of cylinder wall was left in the centerline of the exhaust port to let the rings ride on. Some were "z" shaped. Our bridges on our Kart motors would start to glow at 18K RPM [nitro-methanol] if you did not reach the turn in time. Then you would smear the piston....

So much for my useless trivia...

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

4. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR IN JAX View Post
    The term "Bridgeport" from my GoKart racing days was coined by the need to have an exhaust port so large that the rings would pop out of the lands and snag in the port, in order to turn massive RPM and scavage better.

To stop the rings from protruding/snagging, a vertical partition [bridge] of cylinder wall was left in the centerline of the exhaust port to let the rings ride on. Some were "z" shaped. Our bridges on our Kart motors would start to glow at 18K RPM [nitro-methanol] if you did not reach the turn in time. Then you would smear the piston....

Hey Jax, good information and well explained!
    J-Town Hot Boat Team
    Barracuda 188CCR/Suzuki 140

Past Boats:
    Checkmate 2800SX/Twin Merc 250’s
    Checkmate Pulsare 2400/Verado 300
    Checkmate Starflite/Merc Pro XB250
    Canadian Edition Hydrostream AE-21/Merc 2.5
    Checkmate Pulsare 2100/Merc 225Xri
    Hydrostream Valero YT Bowrider/Merc 175
    Talon T-21/Mercury Racing 2.5 Carb
    Sleekcraft ModVP Bowrider/Evinrude 225 Vindicator
    Velocity 230/Mercury 454 Magnum
    Scout 172 Sportfish/Yamaha 130
    SeaRay F16 Jet boat/Mercury SportJet
    SeaRay 17' Seville/Merc I/O

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They make good HP for a stock 2.4 and if the correct mods are done to the pistons,they are pretty reliable. Install some steel sleeves if there is a problem with the bridges (cracks) and they are even more reliable. All for a lot less than you will buy 245,260 and 280 stuff. But they are getting harder to come by!
    Hydro
    86 Hydrostream Vector
    2.4 Bridgeport Offshore Centerhorn EFI

2007 Regal 2860 express cruiser

1996 Rinker 260 Fiesta Vee

Kawasaki 750 ZXI jetski

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR IN JAX View Post

JR, you just reminded me of my days of kart racing. I would like to know how many pistons I wasted. Even got my son into karting and he started out in jr restricted with briggs, then jr stock then modified on to 125cc shifters. We raced 11 state races a yr, 9 gulf coast challenge races a yr and 4 national races a yr. ending up ay Lowes Moter Raceway for the Nationals. Alyways did my own porting work. Ahhhhhh the days
    98 STRATOS VT 20...MERC 200
    95 STV EURO...MERC 280
    94 290 SEARAY SUNDANCER

8. Likes JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    69 CHECKMATE, I have a 1989 Bridgeport that I will sell. I pulled it off of my old Liberator 2 years ago when I bought a 300. Still running great. Approx. 50hrs on overhaul. Jerrell, Corpus Christi, Tx.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know whats so great about them, but my 1992 EFI BP slings my fat ass along at 115 on the gps!!! Ive been told, with my set up, that kind of speed is unheard of, but the gps is the real deal...
    1992 S.T.V. ProComp - Merc. 2.4 BP EFI Sold!!!

11. Likes 22R liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is so great about them?............. not a lot
    Back in the day it was a great motor, and even today it is a good motor. BUT, the 2.5 will stomp on it.
    The 2.4 is a piston port motor that 2330cc (really a 2.3). The bridges do fail in motors that have been run hard. What has been found since is that a good oval port motor will out perform it without the uncooled bridge. See the port can be 25% wider with the bridge, but the bridge interupts 25% of the flow, add that with 25% more port width you loose cylinder stability.
    Consider a good 2.5 (2503cc) will make 100 more hp than a good 2.4
    2023 TUFF 25

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RBT View Post
    Back in the day it was a great motor, and even today it is a good motor. BUT, the 2.5 will stomp on it.
    The 2.4 is a piston port motor that 2330cc (really a 2.3). The bridges do fail in motors that have been run hard. What has been found since is that a good oval port motor will out perform it without the uncooled bridge. See the port can be 25% wider with the bridge, but the bridge interupts 25% of the flow, add that with 25% more port width you loose cylinder stability.
    I never said mine was great. Just that it runs good for me. At some point ( when she blows!! ) I will upgrade to a 2.5. For now though, it runs strong and is very reliable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.4's will suprise you. I had one on my mirage with warmed up heads ran 112 on gps. and it never failed me.

Last edited by max200; 04-17-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    On the edge beats over the hill any day! and if it ain't broke fix it till it breaks!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RBT View Post

What has been found since is that a good oval port motor will out perform it without the uncooled bridge. See the port can be 25% wider with the bridge, but the bridge interupts 25% of the flow, add that with 25% more port width you loose cylinder stability.
    i wasnt gonna be the first to say it, thats why they de-bridge all bad ass omcs (v8s/v4s)
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy, Here we go!!!

I've never seen a bad ass OMC or BRP!!! Lol

At least not in front of me!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by omega_679 View Post
    JR, you just reminded me of my days of kart racing. I would like to know how many pistons I wasted. Even got my son into karting and he started out in jr restricted with briggs, then jr stock then modified on to 125cc shifters. We raced 11 state races a yr, 9 gulf coast challenge races a yr and 4 national races a yr. ending up ay Lowes Moter Raceway for the Nationals. Alyways did my own porting work. Ahhhhhh the days
    I wish I had the money back that I spent on 2 1/2 years of racing "hot karts" [unlimited 2-strokes].

The bad thing was, I was not winning. It was a lot of fun, but very frustrating.
    I was spending $500 a week [1980] against business-sponsored karts with 1K budgets. The most I ever got out of a bottom end was an hour [that was with 12+ pistons].

A race night was a set of Burris tires, a couple of pistons, reeds, a clutch, sprocket and chain [if I did not crash]. Just losing a chain during a crash meant bending the tiny PTO end of the crankshaft.

I would sometimes fall asleep at church on Sunday after a 2AM racenight.

I decided to finally quit after I did a mid-air barrel roll and broke my wrist.

I should have started/stayed in a stock class, but they spent a lot of their time fist-fighting.

I still miss the thrill of sitting in a rocket, my lungs do not miss all the nitro/bean oil fumes when I drew a back of the pack "start".

"Confidence" is that wonderful feeling you had right before you fully understood your true situation.- Unknown
    I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.- Duke of Wellington
    “I am not afraid of an Army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.-Douglas MacArthur

Allison GSE 300XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am rebuilding my V8 now it must be alot of work to do that. I am not going for a bad ass V8 just one that gets the beer to the bar. But i always like to learn if u have a little more info.
    http://i35.tinypic.com/epn6ma.jpg

Just a little Cat.

24 Twister V8 E-Rude (For Sale)

2008 Concept Sport Deck 2x 300X

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast