Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Some info on 1994 Mercury 200 xri

Hi, i bought a 20 foot ProCraft with a 1994 Mercury 200 xri efi last year for a steal ($3900usd). I think the motor has higher hours, but im not sure.
    Anyway, I have a few questions about it:
    -how many liters is it? 2.4 or 2.5
    -how many rpm can this thing safely run for an extended period of time (runs about 5400 wide open w/ 25 pitch 4 blade tournament prop)
    -is there anything else i should know about this thing to prevent problems
    -should i leave the oil injection or go to premix?
    -overall is this a good motor?

sorry if these are stupid questions, but the motor runs like a top, and i dont have the money to get a 225 promax (what i really want). the motor pushes the boat fully loaded at 63.3 on the gps which is good enough... unless theres a prop that would make her faster... lazer 3 blade, ??pitch??

any other info you can give me on this thing to keep it running would be greatly appreciated.

also, ive had good results with lucas injector cleaner in my truck, can i run that in this motor??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a 2.5
    I'm fairly sure it's rev limited to 5800( I'll check), which is acheived buy dumping extra fuel into the mixture, so you want to keep max RPM a little below this so you don't waste fuel at WOT. If you put a Promax ECU on it you'll get 6750 RPM limit

My view,if you go the premix route, other than forgetting to put oil in the tank there is nothing to fail. If you stick with the oil injection it's a lottery.

I think general opinion is that it's a very good engine. It has steel bores so is easier and cheaper to repair if you do have an incident. I have a 95 and love it.

Main thing to keep an eye on is temperature, not too hot or too cold, either are not good.

Karl
    Phantom 21
    Mercury 200 XRI
    Mercury 150 V6
    British 21' Offshore race/ski boat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info. I have a water pressure gauge that i will be installing soon, and if i can get one i will be putting a temp gauge on also.
    is there a way to check hours on this thing? my brother is a mechanic and had the computer thing but we couldnt get an hour reading.

thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the biggest thing to long life is to let it idle till it warms up when you start it. When it pees, yer good to go. We're talking 30 seconds or so.

I'm nearly overcome with jealousy, but pleased with your good fortune.

John
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.