Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wizard Pistons

Those who have been patiently in the line at JSRE ( and all over the country/globe for that matter ) for new Wizards the short wait is just about over . They are NOW at the coaters ( Racekote , Rodney Nance ) and multi sets will be here very very soon ready for shipping and instillation in motors awaiting them at JSRE now !

BTW: These are the new NEW STYLE ACCUMULATOR GROOVED relief model that Dean has been working on with the piston folks, I've been told they should make some more power for our motors..I've sold a couple of these sets and they sure are pretty and customers have loved them..You can see then new land modification on the Wizard web site.. www.wizardraceshop.com

Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yup, Gotta have a good product....I seen Dean and Bruce at Gulfpote, an I juss gotta say...THEMZ 2 UGLY BOYZ!!!........When 2 ugly boyz like dat kan sell a product, U no it's gotta be good!!!....We won't even git inta tha Coat'r....Or tha Midgit sell'in them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.4 Pistons

Jay how does the accumulater grove work, looks like it would hold extra fuel-oil mix, aid for sealing or less friction? Grove only on lightweight 2.5 pistons? What is the deal on rings, I was told the titanium rings last longer but tend to wear coating on cyl?
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm told the groove is to reduce pressure from the bottom and top of the ring as well as trap lube. I will speak to Dean about the reason for the groove . He did tell me this is nothing new and this has been proven to work for years on other applications.

About the TiN coated rings causing premature bore coating wear IMO this is a myth IF proper maintence and run cycles are addressed before bore damage has occured and if this is addressed I have not witnessed this happening. The first ring composistion used in conjuction with Nik bores in the very early 90's was chrome . It worked fine but supposedly had a short run life next Mercury choose TiN coated ring facings to extend run times and it is indeed harder than chrome to achieve this goal, it worked well for years on the Nik bores. We are now and for many years been "stuck" with a less durable coating that is applied in the states called Nicom which IMO and from what I witness daily is less durable than the original German applied Nikisil..The nature of the beast of these high performance coated sleeved motors is a shorter run life than say chrome ring /steel bore people have known and accepted that fact for years to gain more HP and better cooling qualitys . But to say the TiN coated ring wears the coatings more prematurely than norm if maitence is adressed IMO is obsurd and a myth as I have built and sold many TiN coated ring Wizards and have NOT seen this issue crop up. I build Many Many motors a year have NOT witnessed this although TiN IS harder on bores than say Chrome again the nature of the beast trying to achieve longer run times. If you look at the OEM ring comparison verses the Wizard the OEM has a thin coating of TiN over a ductile steel ring and after their coating is gone nothing but the ductile steel that is left can, will, and does IMO damage the bores coating I see it daily and anyone running a 280 with longer tha acceptable run times have too before a trip to US Chrome to have the damage repaired.. On the other hand the Wizard rings have a TiN coating applied to its normal chrome faced ring after the TiN is worn you still have the protection of the chrome faced ring. I feel some of the thinner film strength 100% syn oils could be a contributing factor to wear as well but that just my opinion. There are litterly hundreds of sets of Wizards in service that have proved themselves with long sucessfull run lives with no bore issues with TiN AND chrome faced rings . I have repeat customers that use a leak down tester as a measurement of run life and as I get those in for rebuild I don't find anything to give the premature wear rumors ANY validation. merit or creditability..Jim Ruck who I feel ( and most in the know should concur ) is the best bore man in the country likes and even is a Wizard sales outlet and suggests the TiN ring Wizard on Nicom bored engines over the other alternative pistons on todays market..I do see as well as anybody thats observant the German applied Nik in earlier engines to be a better more durable product BUT now that product has been superceded to Nicom for many years and thats something none of us have any control..Unlike other piston choices Wizard does offer a chrome faced ring if the issue of wear is a concern to any customer contimplating buying a new set of pistons.

David I have truthfully answered and addressed to the best of my ability your questions and dispelled any rumor or myth with my observations about this subject. If you or anyone else have any more questions I invite you to contact Dean directly , I feel he will ease your mind and put to rest any and all concerns and or "rumors" you or anyone else may have and point you to a ring face coating thats best for your application in the Wizard line of proven High Performance pistons and other products..

Jay @ JSRE
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jay you told what I wanted to know, thought I was being fed BS. Just had to hear your opinion is good enough for me.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well David , in my mind there are two choices in ring face composistion with Nicom bore coated motors.

1. Chrome = Easier on bore coatings due to soft make up but has a shorter run life....
    2. TiN = More abrasive on bore coatings due to hardness but has a longer run life....

IMO : Both choices are acceptable IF the customer understands the plus and minuses of each application and addresses maintence and re ring issues before bore coating damage has happened.

And yes David IMO their is PLENTY of BS out there. People have failures due to non addressed maintence and blame a product instead of their own failures to understand what these engines are all about. Folks that don't stay on top of these critical issues should stick with Opti Maxs with a warranty and leave High Performance 2.5 s alone..

Happy Easter,
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rings

Jay, for a non race application what type would you recomend, I would think with top pinned rings and 7500rpm max you could extend teardown times some. Can you just do leak down checks and inspect ring pin with a bore scope as its visable on dome? Not trying to put you on the spot, just trust and respect what you think.
    Little story for you, had a argument with guy a while ago. He was about to take a ball hone to a plated snomobile cyl,I told him bad idea. He said I was retarded and needed a cross hatch to seat rings. I told him I have done lots of sled and a few coated marine engines and never had a problem. Any way he peeled the coating around all the ports, then blamed it on poor coating. I just left with my own theory.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coated sleeved engines I'd use the TiN . Just leak down test the motor every so often..

You can use a ball hone on Nicom I do it almost every day BUT use the correct ball hone designed for Niicom ( Goodson part number BA-350240 Aluminum Oxide and finish with Plateau finishing brush Goodson part number UF-400 ) these tools have worked GREAT for me and I use them weekly..

They are available from www.goodson.com

Happy Easter,
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay thanks very much for the info, sure many others learned some things as well. It always amazes me how much there is to learn.
    Thanks Dave.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a fact David , I learn from different means as well as my own "baby blues" everyday.. IMO when you stop learning by getting to a point where you think your too smart about a subject to learn your become stagnated and fall behind the new found technoligy..

Happy Easter,
    Jay
    Jay @ JSRE