User Tag List

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrewuponLakeX View Post
    You guys are the icons of a great era.
    You hit the nail on the head. This was a time of racing at it's best. Money was not such a significant factor back then. Nothing was computerized, the technology was limited and mostly hit and miss, and the availability of racing parts was very limited. Back in those days it was more about making the boat as light as possible - but within weight specs, raising the engine as high as possible on the transom, putting a good cup on the edge of the prop with that old ball peen hammer and driving like there was no tomorrow.

Those were the days...
    Last edited by Bob V; 12-03-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velox View Post
    The Gold Coast, 9 Hour, 6 hour OPC and the Sandy Shoes marathon were the races to win in S. Florida during the 60's. All of them had several hundred racers.
    The Sandy Shoes was the same format as the Gold Coast.
    The GC went from Miami to West Palm Beach on Saturday and West Palm to Miami on Sunday. The Sandy Shoes went from Palm Beach to FT Pierce on Saturday and Ft Pierce to Palm Beach on Sunday. Both had huge parties on Saturday night for the racers.
    One of the icons that can party and perform, 46 years later---is Leonard-----

Sorry I missed the SHOW, Charley----

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 12-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gene was looking for some more of gcm. pic,when i saw this pic of duddley heading to west palm in the first fiberglass boat,he was a good friend of mind we had lots of talks,about fiberglass.any time i went to his house in bal habor we would take his boat ,with his wife and i and my better half,to the sand bar at halover and eat hot dogs and ice cream.i last saw duddley at his house,he wanted to see my allison.that was the last time,i saw dud.he past away in sept.i will never for get him he was a dear friend to me. johnny.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Guy View Post
    @Gene: your picture shows what the GCM was intended to be! In my humble opinion anyway.
    I agree!!!

Leading the pack!!!! This picture is labeled 'GCM-1953-Boca Raton Bridge'--how would you like to own some of that real estate today???

Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 12-05-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene,
    You give me way too much credit!
    I had a ton of fun back then with you Herbie, Jimmie, Richie, Butch, Oliver and George. Our E class boats put on the most comptetive races for several years. Even the fast inboard guys would stop and watch us show them how to race. Not only did you start well before me, you kept racing many years after I was out of it. You also became famous, while I became inflamous.
    You were missed at OFF by many. We only hope you can make it next year.
    I did get to drive several boats including a very nice Raveau. I only got to about 75 MPH, but it felt like 120!
    Last edited by velox; 12-07-2011 at 06:46 AM.
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Gene: another great pic!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene,
    I heard about the Raveau inboard, but I think I had left for the Marines at the time, so I never saw it..Bobby Walwork probably built it. Roy was one of my favorites when I would go to the Lake or a race..When I was about 18 or 19 I wanted to go to Mercury School in Sarasota in the worst way. When I went over there one day with Phil Young, I asked Roy, who ran the school, if he would take me. He said "Sure, I can use another teacher..you know way to much to be a student." Kind of made me feel good, but nothing to hang on my wall..
    That picture of me in the Raveau 54 boat was taken at the Marine Stadium during the drag race they had..I think it was the only one ever.. Helmets were optional.

Butch

8. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gold Coast Marathon: 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Guy View Post
    @Gene: another great pic!
    T Guy--I have a few more---This was taken at PHYC before the race. There were 253 entries. I was running my Dad's 13' fishing boat----#26----(Yes!!--that is an OMC)

10. Thanks Tx Guy thanked for this post
    Likes Tx Guy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roy in Mercruiser Raveau. At least, I thought it was a Reveau? Maybe Rich is right. I knew I had this photo, but it took awhile to find it on this darn computer - Steve Sirois

Last edited by seeroy; 12-06-2011 at 09:29 PM.

12. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    T Guy--I have a few more---This was taken at PHYC before the race. There were 253 entries. I was running my Dad's 13' fishing boat----#26----(Yes!!--that is an OMC)

Not the only OMC you ever ran

Last edited by seeroy; 12-06-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Roy in Mercruiser Raveau. I knew I had this photo, but it took awhile to find it on this darn computer - Steve Sirois"
    Mr. Sirois,
    That is very cool. Another one of those pictures never seen by me before. From the looks of that photo - F10 would possibly be 1962 GCM and FB110 1963. I just wish Dad were still here to fill in the blanks. I know he would love OFF.
    Thanks again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guessing again. The photo in post #99 was taken before the "Gold Coast" picture. Notice the lack of a name on the bow. So maybe a testing photo from the Lake?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gene...I have to ask which one gave you more enjoyment - the #26 or the legendary #94?

PS...Nothing damages the ego of an inboard driver more than being passed by an outboard with less than half the cubic inches and horsepower. Sort of like you are doing to that Raysoncraft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lanham%20Hop%20Miami%2071.jpg   Page 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Bob V; 12-07-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
    Gene...I have to ask which one gave you more enjoyment - the #26 or the legendary #94?
    Bob, that is easy. But as a teenager, I only had a 10 hp. Back then, the question was 'would it plane?' Then with the 25hp, it really would plane. With the wing, the question was 'would it fly? ' (it did)---I am sure Rich can tell us---he can fly, and he has cubic inches: Only JETMAN may have a better ride, but I doubt it----

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, that is easy. But as a teenager, I only had a 10 hp. Back then, the question was 'would it plane?' Then with the 25hp, it really would plane. With the wing, the question was 'would it fly? ' (it did)---I am sure Rich can tell us---he can fly, and he has cubic inches: Only JETMAN may have a better ride, but I doubt it----
    I wasn't sure on that one. Sometime that very first boat, regardless of hull design or power can be the most memorable. I still remember my dad's 16' Bonita tri-hull with the 60 hp Johnson. As a teen that was my make believe race boat. As soon as I got out of sight of the house, I would stop and move the tilt pin up to the highest position (poor man's power trim) and drive it with that great rooster tail - probably running a whopping 40 mph.

I have always followed the progress of Rich and Dust in the Wind. He did a magnificent job restoring and re-powering that wing. I saw the pictures of him flying it at the last OFF gathering and it was spectacular! However, I will always fondly remember the sight and sound of the 1350 Stackers powering the Switzer Wings. Guess I am just stuck in the old days.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast