User Tag List

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    Wow! I'm 52, have followed O/B racing all my life and don't remember any of this.
    AMAZING stuff! So sad to realize that no way in hell will that ever happen again

They said the Parker Enduro would never be back either. Keep the faith Gator!

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    I don't know if this is GCM photo. But I do know that this funny looking kid sometimes posts here and that he did run the GCM a few times

NO, It's not me.

Look Mom! no helmet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my dad in the first Scafo Angelo Molinari that came to the United States and one of his Trophies it won for him in the 1966 GCM. The silver platter reads, "1966 Gold Coast Marathon, City of West Palm Beach Award, 1st Place North Run, Class "8" Outboard". I also have the Plaque for overall 1st. The only thing I remember specifically about this race is my dad was, (I believe) fourth overall on the North Run. We had (haven't located it so it may be lost) a super 8 video of the finish line in West Palm Beach. My mother was using the camera, and the first three boats go by - perfect cinematography, then the fourth overall place boat comes into view perfect still until my mother realizes that the boat in the lens is her husband, the camera begins jumping up and down and so we do not have a clear shot of my dad's wonderful finish. My dad talked about the draft that the molinari pulled, while up on plane and how he would cut some corners through the shallows outside of the markers, on one such corner a hydro stayed with him about half thru my dad looked over at the other driver, got his attention and pointed down. As soon as the hydro driver looked down and could see the bottom he made a hard right to get back out into the channel. I always got a kick out of that story everytime my dad told it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 888Molinari2.jpg   GoldCoast1st1966NorthRun.jpg  
    Last edited by GrewuponLakeX; 11-27-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: misspelled Mr. Molinari first name - sorry

4. Thanks Tx Guy thanked for this post
    Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You two Brothers are very fortunate to have had a father as talented as Roy was. I shall never forget standing next to the "motel" with several other guys watching your Dad come straight at us from across the Lake in that Molinari. From very far away we could see all of the way through the tunnel and the boat was rock solid. We all knew that outboard racing was on the verge of a revolution and Roy knew exactly what he was doing with that incredible machine. After that GCM he said he would pull up next to one of the "hot rod" flat bottom SK inboard boats, sit there for awhile, wave at the guy with a big smile, then punch it and just leave him in the dust (spray). On a personal note, your Dad was was undoubtedly one of the nicest guys I have ever worked around. - Steve Sirois

I'm pretty sure that this is that boat in the configuration that Roy ran it that first time at Lake X.

Last edited by seeroy; 11-27-2011 at 08:18 PM.

6. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve you have a PM, some of these other guys may be able to help too

I had a chance to run at the stadium in an APBA event in BOH but being in our mid teens and in Tampa it was too far, then they shut it down I guess.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eggsucker - This is the SeaCraft I referred to in reply to your PM. - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Sirois,
    That is a cool picture also. I have never seen that one before. I don't not know where the dealership name came from. But Dad used to tell us that when the photo helicopter came over it was a good thing he was in the seat. He said he found that the molinari would 'fly' if his butt was seating on the gas tank, his head resting on the powerhead and steering by his feet. Mr. K would have fired him on the spot, if he'd have known. Here is a photo of looking down the tunnel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	888Molinari4.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	247351I love that shoot too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Gulf Wind Marine" was the name of Gene Whipp's boat business near Sarasota. Not sure if he owned it that far back but in the 70's and 80's it was a very well known Sea Ray dealership. It may still be there even though he is gone now.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To anyone at the "Lake" in the "60 s,,,,,,, We would all remember Roy"s perpetual smile, A true gentelman and well remembered @ OFF.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    General GCM question: What year did Jimmy Stough win the GCM? I have the newspaper clipping of the results for the top 25, but there is no date with the clipping.
    Of course the reason, I have the clipping is because my dad was fifth overall with a second place on the southern run. Odell Lewis and my dad were running identical Switzer Wings - the only difference was the paint scheme: one was Black and Gold, the other Black and Silver. The black and white photo doesn't exactly tell me but I think Dad's was Silver (just cannot remember). Looking at the photo the 'switzer' did not like calm conditions. Was there powertrim available in the early to mid-sixties?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switzerwing802RaceResults.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	247369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switzerwing802Photo.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	247370
    Mr. Poole thank you for the dealership info, which raises another question, did Mr. Kiekhaefer give his dealerships advertising space in the early years?

13. Thanks Tx Guy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 99% sure it was 1965 that Stough won overall. I just found a GCM article dated 1966. The article mentioned that Bill ran the same boat that Jim Stough won the overall honors with "last" year. - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gulfwind Marine always seemed to find its way on to the sides of many race boats, from outboards to offshore. Gene was involved in racing for many years. It could have been that Mr. K and Gene found some common ground with promoting Mercury and racing.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    I'm 99% sure it was 1965 that Stough won overall. I just found a GCM article dated 1966. The article mentioned that Bill ran the same boat that Jim Stough won the overall honors with "last" year. - Steve Sirois
    How about 99.9% Steve??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    Gulfwind Marine always seemed to find its way on to the sides of many race boats, from outboards to offshore. Gene was involved in racing for many years. It could have been that Mr. K and Gene found some common ground with promoting Mercury and racing.
    I am not sure if Gene Whipp wasn't still in Dayton, Ohio at that time. Perhaps he bought Gulf Wind Marine later (1970 or so).....or maybe there were two Gulf Wind Marines?

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrewuponLakeX View Post
    General GCM question: What year did Jimmy Stough win the GCM? I have the newspaper clipping of the results for the top 25, but there is no date with the clipping.
    Of course the reason, I have the clipping is because my dad was fifth overall with a second place on the southern run. Odell Lewis and my dad were running identical Switzer Wings - the only difference was the paint scheme: one was Black and Gold, the other Black and Silver. The black and white photo doesn't exactly tell me but I think Dad's was Silver (just cannot remember). Looking at the photo the 'switzer' did not like calm conditions. Was there powertrim available in the early to mid-sixties?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switzerwing802RaceResults.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	247369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switzerwing802Photo.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	247370
    Mr. Poole thank you for the dealership info, which raises another question, did Mr. Kiekhaefer give his dealerships advertising space in the early years?
    Power trim hit the racecourse in about 1967. Prior to that there were custom one off versions that some guys used (McCullough had a pretty neat system) so it is possible that some versions were on various boats. The Switzer Wings didn't need it per se because of the aileron at the rear of the wing.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

19. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast