User Tag List

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lottactionraceing View Post
    hay gene how are you doing,are you back in the left seat yet? i have had trouble sending post on scream and fly.i have a new computer now,well ill try it
    Hey Johnny---Still waiting for OK City to respond---Computer? Now you need to get a scanner and scan all those pictures!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gene if i get ascanner ill shoot this this computer for sure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we've lost another friend today, Jim Hauser is gone. I really got a chance to meet and know Jim through OFF and he and Steve Sirois took me for a fun ride with all my racing heros with our fun gathering in Oct. So sorry, Cadillac

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay Seeroy,
    First, Melanie & I enjoyed being with you and all the guys & gals at the 2013 CRA/OFF event.

Next, it was only recently that I ran across this thread. I mentioned at CRA/OFF wanting to meet Lilabner because of his work with HM, Jeff Hunt & Uncle Bright. Maybe he will make it to our 2014 event.

Best to You & Iris,

Noel Scott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I just dug up this old thread during a Google search for info on the Gold Coast Marathon. Thank you all so much for sharing your photos and memories. What a fascinating concept for a race with probably the most open entry criteria for any marathon. The result seems to have been the widest variety of hulls and powerplants of any boat race ever.
    Of course, living in NYC I had never even heard of this race until a few years ago (thanks to the internet). I do however, remember watching a movie, on our black and white Admiral TV as a kid, in which the race (didn't even know what it was called at the time) was used as a background for the plot of the film. It was some kind of crime drama, either a heist of a murder mystery. Does anyone know what the name of the movie was? And, no I'm not talking about Clambake. It might even have been an episode of a TV show.

Thanks,
    Eric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'l Toy View Post
    When I was 13 or 14, we put steering in my Dad's 14' fiberglass skiff, 18 hp pressure tank motor, my brother and I put on our Soap Box Derby helmets and ran in class 1. Little did we know that most of the other boats in the class were little kneel down runabouts half the size of our boat, and way faster.

We finished 9th out of 21 boats in class just by virtue that we finished, and were given an award by Ross Bennett for being one of the last 5 boats to finish. I think around 250 started that Saturday.
    Hi Dad. Snapped this (crappy cell phone) pic recently at the house. One of these days I'll spend a night scanning all the old boat racing pics and make a thread here.

In my lifetime powerboat racing just hasn't been this accessible.
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff

7. Likes Leah liked this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatRacer View Post
    The result seems to have been the widest variety of hulls and powerplants of any boat race ever

Probably right, but I can't help with the movie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember a 7 Litre Hydro running it once and I also recall a guy running his kitchen table upside down with an outboard on it.
    I ran it 4 or 5 times and was lucky enough to finish in the top 10 overall a couple of years.
    Lil Abner ran it a bunch as did Gene . Odel, Bakos, Seeroy and brother Bill , Rigell and many of the other Lake X guys ran it a number of times. It was the race of the year.
    Rich Baiz I teamed with George Griley one year with a boat I designed and Rich and I built.
    George started the race and was second overall going into the canal and was much faster than the lead boat.
    He got to Ft Lauderdale and did not back off where the inlet is and flipped in the ships channel.
    I was super pissed at him as that was our chance to win 1st overall. We did not get back together for about 20 years!
    Charlie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great shot--looks like you were having fun which was the point of the race for most of us amateurs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMB0dtuoVOA

This uploaded video shows the Gold Coast Marathon of 1963, a powerboat race from Miami to West Palm Beach and back. Viewers see pit crews at Pelican Harbor Yacht Club and aerial shots of the race. Source: Florida Memory-State Library & Archives of Florida

12. Thanks Bob V thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powercat View Post

This uploaded video shows the Gold Coast Marathon of 1963, a powerboat race from Miami to West Palm Beach and back. Viewers see pit crews at Pelican Harbor Yacht Club and aerial shots of the race. Source: Florida Memory-State Library & Archives of Florida
    Typical with something the Gubment does, they got the year wrong. This is the 1962 Gold Coast Marathon. Dave ran the Vee Wing in 63, and I ran Treasures boat. Still a pretty good video..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Butch%2015.jpg   Dave's Wings 007small.jpg   Daves V Wing 001.jpg   Daves V Wing.jpg  

14. Likes Powercat, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Butch: I thought that I might have put the wrong year so I went back to their website and it does have it dated as 1963.. May have been the year the film was published but
    the race as you say is from 1962.

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Typical with something the Gubment does, they got the year wrong. This is the 1962 Gold Coast Marathon. Dave ran the Vee Wing in 63, and I ran Treasures boat. Still a pretty good video..

16. Thanks Tx Guy thanked for this post
    Likes Tx Guy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any remember Stu Wilson? I have been asked to get a photo for a historian.

Here's a link, apparently Stu raced a hydro, the Wa Wa Too, F-247: http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/bo...atoo_f247.html
    Last edited by Tx Guy; 10-11-2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: more info available

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave Craig and other GCM participants.

Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kissimmee race boat winners circle..jpg 
Views:	704 
Size:	396.7 KB 
ID:	329468

Here is a photo of Dave Craig (far left), who was mentioned in the 1962 GCM video, driving a Switzer Wing boat.

Also in the Kissimmee Marathon winners circle photo above, are some other GCM participants like Roy Ridgell & Joe Anderson. In the photo left to right are class winners: Dave Craig (overall winner), Roy Ridgell, Tom Sheldon, Joe Anderson, George Thompson, & Bobby Walwork.
    Last edited by Lake X Kid; 11-08-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great video! I was 15 that summer and watched the race from the first bridge on Sat. We went back on Sun to Pelican Harbor for the finish. Two years later in 64 I ran my first "Gold Coast". There were so many familiar faces in this video it was a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast