Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to drain the oil in a olds 455...im a newbie

i was wondering how you drain the oil in a olds 455? my oil is a little bit milky. i was having some engine problems at the lake and water was pooring in the engine compartment and part of the engine was submerged. also, what is the gate valve? is it the valve right before where you screw a hose on so you can start the boat out of the water? last question, should you turn the hose on all the way when you are running the boat out of the water? thanks in advance for your help i really appriciate it!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your engine does not have a drain kit, ie a hose to extend thru a drain plug hole, i would explore taking it to a marine dealer. we have a pressure pot that sucks the oil thru the dip stick tube. there is various kinds air and electric to do this, much cleaner that draining it into the bilge and spending the rest of the day cleaning it out. the gate valve is a water restricting device to limit the amount of water from the pump to the engine. many times the pump will over pressurise the motor gaskets putting water into the oil. the fitting has probably been added by someone to allow putting water to the engine to run it on the trailer. i advise the jetters to be prudent while doing this as that it directs most of the water to the motor instead of the jet. i feel if you have to run it on the trailer it is best to put another water source spraying directly into the jet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my 12v oil drain pump (thru the dipstick tube) from Overtons for 40 bux.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the jabsco five gallon pump. Just warm engine not hot shut off and pull the dip stick and put the pickup down the dip stick holder and turn on sucks all the oil out. I used them all but the bigger ones work and you can rent it to others to pay for it. On sale they run around 100 bucks. Rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought a pump and it worked great. thanks guys for your help!