http://apba-racing.com/newsletters/EAlert0903-3.html

Boat racing in America goes back to the turn of the last century, and the American Power Boat Association is the organization that has provided leadership to the sport since 1903.

But never before has the APBA taken such an active role in making boat racing available to racing enthusiasts who want to see if boat racing is for them.

“Making it possible for more people to experience the thrill and excitement of boat racing has to be an important part of our mission,” said Mark Weber, President of the APBA. “I was lucky enough to grow up in a family of boat racers. I didn’t need to find a way to see if it was the sport for me.”

To accomplish this goal, APBA is announcing a program called “The Ride of a Lifetime”– the American Power Boat Association Driving School.
Featuring four separate types of race boats—Junior Class outboard hydroplanes, C Stock hydroplanes, powerful 5 Litre Inboard hydros and SST 120 Tunnel hulls—the school includes classroom sessions and on-the-water driving conducted over a weekend.

The instructors, all experienced race drivers, will teach students racing terminology, safety and boat handling skills. Chris Fairchild, Brandon Thirlby, Dan Kanfoush, Mark Weber and Mark Wheeler will be the instructors for the first School. The APBA provides students with properly fitting helmets, life jackets, driving suits (and, on those boats equipped with safety capsules, onboard air systems).

Safety will be the highest priority. Students who will drive safety capsule-equipped boats (5 Litre Inboards and SST 120 OPCs) will take the same training that APBA racers receive, learning how to use the onboard air system and techniques to safely exit a flipped boat. A highly qualified rescue team will be on the water at all times when a student is on the course.

Costs for the weekend school range from $50.00 for the Junior Class students (ages 9-16) to $200.00 for the 5 Litre Inboard or SST 120 tunnel boat classes. A student may even try both 5 Litre and SST 120 for $300.00.

The first Ride of a Lifetime Driving School takes place May 30-31 in Dayton, Ohio, on Eastwood Lake. Visit www.apba-racing.com for more information. A flyer, brochure and application form are available online.

586-773-9700
mweber55@sbcglobal.net