Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Are jet drive boats OK for a salt water slip

I'm in between boats at the momment. I sold my Maxum bowrider with the 7.4L Mercruiser because the leg maintenance was killing me since we kept it in a salt water slip 11 months out of the year here in Hawaii. I'm a handy guy and have no problem doing the haul out once a year to paint the bottom, change zincs, etc. I'm leaning toward and outboard boat so the leg gets out of the water. But my wife wants a jet drive boat because it's safer for the kids without the prop. What kind of maintenace am I looking at with the jet drive? Will it cost more than the Mercruiser leg maintenance? Any tips anybody can give me would be great.
    Aloha.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maintance will be way less they very simple. The important thing is to make sure you have the right jet for salt water use if your planning on leaving her in a slip. American Turbine and Hamilton Jet have units for this purpose. The housing being aluminum for the most part needs to be zinked right for corrotion. The salt in the water also can score your impeller. The Brass impellers work better for longevity with the Hamiltons and the AT jets stainless impellers are great also but make sure you have a brass sleeve. The sweet thing about jets is you can run over logs and not worry about a leg. You can explore reefs with less wory also. If the vessal is over 21ft I would only consider a Hamiton Jet. You can convert almost anything over to a Hamilton. A guy i new years ago bought a 24ft little comand bridge with a OMC leg and a 454. He took the leg of and had a marine shop fab the hamilton 212 with the turbo impeller on her and she does 55mph!! A realy sweet little ocean runner that you can sleep and cook on. Thats not a bad way to go. I would find out by calling hamilton Jet or a destributor in the US and ask about what inboard out board is best to convert and just find a used boat and buy a new jet unit to install and sell the leg to recover some cost? PS wecome to Sceam and Fly!! Hears a link to the jet drive best suited for what your talking about. Its the model HJ 212 or 213. http://www.hamiltonjet.co.nz/model_range/hj_series

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    213 with a BBC is how I would go or a higher reving styre diesel....

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but honestly education about the props to the kids is all it takes to be safe around them.. PERSONALLY i would go outboard... no corosion issues if they are kept clear of the water

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...