Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the 2.6 was below 400 lbs and over 225 hp with low water pickups and come in 15inch and 20 inch mids I would be interested. The motor would have to be able to be modified to have more HP up to at least 300 before I would even look really. All of the above is readly available now in Merc so if the light wieght isnt there 205 hp over 450lbs might as well be a 175 because of the power to weight ratio. That is the single most inportant aspect for me. Light and powerfull. Theres enough 95-2006 light Mercs out there and parts for the next 10 years at least. So if anyone is going to make a motor that comes close to a F1 300 drag or a 225 Promax they had better start using light material thats strong because most of the Allison owners i know want power and light weight. I think that would also be for most Boaters on this site. Ill bet if you did a pole theres more S&Fers with 260 and 280,s than any other motor. There are quite a few 300PM,X and XS also though. The 225,260 and 280 Mercs people will never settle for anything less. If you have a 100mph boat not many people will settle for anything less. Thats why 205hp wouldnt cut it unless that power is under 350lbs to make up the differance with weight for the lack of power. Lets face it most Manufactures are to cheep to make a 350lb 300hp motor anymore. Rotary Power is there for weight and power but again whos going to make a twin rotor supercharged out board these days that makes 350hp 300ftlbs and weighs 300lbs? Thats the ticket! Thats what I want.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a 200 small block Etec. I've read reports that it is weak, but perhaps that is just in comparison to the 200 HO big block.

200 DI HP with a surfacing lower unit and solid mounts would be fine by me. The closet now is a 175XS. You just have to void the warranty and have the lower unit coned.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys I think we are missing the point.....Unfortunately the EPA has stopped the production of motors like 2.5s that are able to produce 300hp, now the 15inch and Low water pick up thing I understand, but you all have to remember, all these companys care about is what sells, and Racing motors really do not sell when you look at the amount of production motors made, and then look at that years of Racing motors, it pales in comparison...Us Evinrude Fans are lucky that we have Stock Current model year motors that come with a 3yr Non Declining warranty, and in both the small and large block sizes they are cool enough to give us a Bullet style lower unit with Low water pick ups, STOCK, no other company has a small block motor that comes standard with low water pick ups and a bullet, thats pretty forward thinking and pretty cool, and that little 150 HO does not get any credit, its truly a work of art, ive sold Dozens and Dozens of them, never a Mechanical issue, no pistons popping, no lower unit issues ever, and they will literally keep up with and beat the Ultimate Stock Smally the 175 Pro XS, that little 150 HO is a Screamer, it spanks its big brother 175.....Thats why Ive pushed BRP to make Us Performance people a 175 HO and a Hotter 200 smally, so thats what they have done....It sounds like they will be pretty much the same, like the 115 HO and 130 V4 that were released this year, those 2 differ by about 3-4HP (130 is a hair stronger) the 175 HO I was told is Right at the 10% Law, and the 200 is about 205hp, which is terrific, the 200 HO is really the same as the 225 DPL (225 regular etec), the 200 Optimax is a hot motor also, its reported to be a hair weaker about 215 average, some are hotter, but thats the averag according to Merc....all Im saying is for the guys sick of wrenching on their older 2.5s and want the sound,no smoke,oil consumption,gas mileage and WARRANTY of the new Motor.....We are in a good position guys if we can argue about whos $13,000 outboard is better, some folks arent sleeping inside right now and did not eat a good meal, we are all lucky.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand. That makes sense. What will this motor weigh? Do ya think they would consider a 15incher? Also there is the option on some hulls of twins. I would think a boat like the 21 Liberator with twin 205,s would be a very tasty boat that meets not only the expectations of the hull but the affability with decreased consummation that most twin setups haven't got with this type of performance hull. Sure twin 300 XS motors are cool and very fast. They also consume less fuel than the previous model 300,s. All I'm saying is 205,s twins with 15 inchers would be quite a piece of work that would be different than what were used to seeing. That uniqueness can be note worthy and desirable for some. Do you know what compression these motors would have?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you run a 150 HO gearcase even with the pad? Will it last, and will it get enough water? Does it have solid mounts?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see a 2.6L 200+ HP etec go up against the 200 race Merc in our 2.5L ski racing class here in Australia. (The class capacity is being lifted to 2.7 or 2.8 litres next season I believe).

The 250HO is the must have engine in Smoc now, when you can get a 300 Etec with the 250HO gear box that will be the must have engine in F2 and I could see the 300 Etec being a force in Moc with some mods and a different gear box.
    BOAT - Bring Out Another Thousand $

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE, Ok guys I heard from 1 of the Etec sources....he said that because of Slow sales and really a lack of hulls that their are Now rumors that BRP may not make the 200 Smally anymore.....Im keeping my fingers crossed on the 175 HO, simply because as they BRP knows, they can take the existing 200 (190HP) and pop on the graphics and Lightning gear case from the 150 HO and go Pro XS Hunting....Sorry Guys for getting you pumped up and all that.....Now nothing is for sure, but I guess they are simply looking at what Merc and Yammie did years ago, and that is realize that its hard and useless as a broad selling motor, most boats sold for that HP are heavy and need the torque from either 3.3 fro BRP or Yammie or the 3liter from mercury...Who knows like Merc BRP is having a touch of the recession and even my Rep, 1 of the #1 guys in BRPs sales force was let go, everyone is still shocked because here in Wisconsin, Evinrude/Johnsons are KING....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2