Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seats

Is there a good writeup somewhere on how to build some bucket seats?
    I was thinking of building a couple for my GT, then building a bench for the back to do away with the cheap back to back seats it had when I bought it.
    Also, looking for reasonable sources for marine vinyl and upholstery materials.
    Any info, pictures or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Search the forum for user Techno and seats. I made a bucket copying his method for the Hydrostream and two for the Eliminator. You can pretty much make any size or shape that way. Pictures are also in my resto thread.

To do it again I would want a more flexible core material than Divinycell so I didn't have to score it so deep. Maybe 1/4" d-cell rather than 1/2". We wanted to avoid all wood, and I had a lot of 1/2" around for the boat.

We haven't figured out a good way to make the seat hold a staple yet, so it can be tough to re-use existing upholstery. With an air stapler it bends the staples on 1708 or pulls out on one layer of biax. For the hydrostream I'm going to make a removeable sunbrella cover that is held on underneath with bungee cord.

Somewhere on here there is a few pics of the guy who did the Vixen making a mold and building seats that way. A good way to make more than one, or to use less/cheaper materials than using a core.
    Last edited by Matt Gent; 03-18-2009 at 08:39 AM.
    78 Hydrostream Vandal - under restoration here: VANDAL RESTORATION THREAD
    86 21' Eliminator Daytona
    17' Badetta sandbar skiff