Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    having just purchased 2 nerwe used cars lastnight, for HONESTLY the cost of my old existing payment, and its 355K mile monthly average maintaince costs i feel it was a wash on my pocket book, the 2 newer rigs are LOW miles, (05 with 18K) and an (03 PSD 6 spd with 30K) with full waranties untill 100K on each i aint EVER going to say that the purchase was not a worthy purchase, because it was. I got to keep ALL my accessories from our old cars and trucks that I cared for for the new ones and got good values on trade, got an honest 40,000 dollars in vehicles for an honest 30,000 financed, so we arent backwards on them either, good investment, good time todo so and quite honestly, it snowed here a brief little bit and there isnt a better day to buy a car IMO than a Chitty day because it proves who's willing to work for the deals... its a buyers market right now...

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senderofan View Post
    I think you're going to see prices on all forms of fuel go up...gasoline , diesel, propane and natural gas. This is no surprise....since it's been stated by our new president and his energy secretary. We'll also see an increase in electricity...so sayeth the energy secretary...because electricity is too cheap in this country that we're abusing it. So now....what are we going to drive???

I'm not trying to give anyone a wedgy over this topic...but using the rationale that someone says "You don't need something" is the mantra we're going to more of. You don't need your thermostat set at 70...you don't need a motor bigger than a Minnkota on your boat. Sounds far fetched...but just wait for the carbon credit counters to get after boats.

Part of the solution for our oil problems can be solved by using clean diesel technology. GM was / is supposed to release a baby Duramax. Something on the order of 4.8 liters @ 300 hp with 500 ft/lbs of torque ( Would have to check on a diesel site for exact numbers ). This rig is supposed to be a half ton heavy duty unit with a target of 30 mpg on the highway. Now...I probably still don't need a rig like that...but I'd sure buy one. Honda has a motor for their Civic...1 liter unit...burns so clean it puts most gas engines to shame and it gets over 60 mpg...according AutoWeek. GM also has an Ecotec type motor with similar specs. And one of my old favorites...the VW TDI....in the 50's on the highway in a Jetta.

The modification thing....well...it's been something Americans have been doing since our boys came home from WWII. Whether it's cars, bikes, boats or planes...we seem to tinker on them all. Not sure you're going to change that one without a fight. For me....it has been great therapy. I was told the time on my earthly parking meter is rapidly running out. So, having only ever owned "Sensible" econo-box type vehicles...I decided I'd step into the dark world of hot rodding my pickup. I can truly say....that I'll leave my parking spot with a great big smile on my face!! So, my motot is..."If your hobby is legal, safe and adds quality to your life....go for it!! Life is short...and for some of us..is getting shorter at a faster pace."

Life is good...Enjoy every day,

Wayne

Yes diesel technology did so much for Europes fuel prices. Whats fuel over there now? about $8-10 a gallon (equivelant)?
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex, keep your Infinity. It's paid off. Enjoy not making payment for a while. Besides, you got your girl's truck to pull the boat and make road trips right? Use the money you're saving on car payments to get your credit in perfect standing. Then worry about buying a new truck. Trust me, I'd love to have one less bill to pay a month right now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Dave View Post
    Alex, keep your Infinity. It's paid off. Enjoy not making payment for a while. Besides, you got your girl's truck to pull the boat and make road trips right? Use the money you're saving on car payments to get your credit in perfect standing. Then worry about buying a new truck. Trust me, I'd love to have one less bill to pay a month right now.
    I decided to keep it. I found that project boat for cheap. So my boat might be for sale w/o motor
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNT View Post
    Yes diesel technology did so much for Europes fuel prices. Whats fuel over there now? about $8-10 a gallon (equivelant)?

Hey...What's the price of "Petrol" in good 'ol europe. Also....our prices will be following shortly...stay tuned. Anyway you slice it...fuel is going to be expensive. You can have your little gasoline vehicle that gets 30-35 mpg...or...get a diesel that gets 50-60 mpg.

You obviously want diesel trucks / vehicles to be a restricted item in this country....but maybe with a more open mind you might see the possibilities.

Have a great day!

Wayne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey...What's the price of "Petrol" in good 'ol europe. Also....our prices will be following shortly...stay tuned. Anyway you slice it...fuel is going to be expensive. You can have your little gasoline vehicle that gets 30-35 mpg...or...get a diesel that gets 50-60 mpg.

You obviously want diesel trucks / vehicles to be a restricted item in this country....but maybe with a more open mind you might see the possibilities.

Have a great day!

Wayne

You a canuck? Actually I think it would be nice if people in this country lived BELOW their means so this economy would get turned around. I just don't see the need for Susie soccer mom to be terrorizin the roads in a jacked up 4x4 diesel dually just because she wants it for some sort of status symbol.

Glad you came to your senses Alex, now is the worst time to get any kind of loan.
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You a canuck? Actually I think it would be nice if people in this country lived BELOW their means so this economy would get turned around. I just don't see the need for Susie soccer mom to be terrorizin the roads in a jacked up 4x4 diesel dually just because she wants it for some sort of status symbol.

Glad you came to your senses Alex, now is the worst time to get any kind of loan.
    Nope...I'm an American...live in a rural area in the upper midwest. My wife and I need to have 4x4 vehicles as we are on call for hospitals as far away as 40 miles from our home.....this is all open territory that frequently blows over with winter snow. So..no jacked up 4x4's in my household....and far from status symbols. We use them, at times, to save lives...but maybe that's not good enough.

Wayne
    Last edited by Senderofan; 03-06-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope...I'm an American...live in a rural area in the upper midwest. My wife and I need to have 4x4 vehicles as we are on call for hospitals as far away as 40 miles from our home.....this is all open territory that frequently blows over with winter snow. So..no jacked up 4x4's in my household....and far from status symbols. We use them, at times, to save lives...but maybe that's not good enough.

Wayne
    my " jacked up" 4x4's all were geared to snow and dirt running, id put any one of them against a stocker ANYDAY especially if it was an emergency, but I also dont go to an extreem either, my 96 F350 was the tallest truck Ill ever own, and it had 6" lift, 4 was what I was after but the price on the 6" couldnt be beat and it had alot more parts than the 4" did, so the 4" didnt make sence , my new to me 03 is only leveled and all it is going to get is a set of cut out flairs and a nice set of wheels to go with the tires I have from my old 96. and then those will be my winter tires for snow and dirt use..

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now is the worst time to get any kind of loan.
    not really.... low interest rates, and lenders are doing EVERYTHING they can to get people to write new loans that are secure and tangible loans at record low rates...

if i had the means Id be buyin every house I could get my hands on because they are CHEEP!!!! enough so that the morgage payment is less than the average rent payment for a nice average family home... which just means more $$$$ monthly for long term secure income if the agencys see it as a good loan.

i am not talking FLIPPING houses... i am talking making sound investments that show a return.. not the OMG i have to make 50K in a week... by selling at inflated margins...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason fuel is so expensive in europe is tax. And just because Britain is in the EU doesn't mean we consider ourselves Europeans. We are much closer to you Yanks and Canadians than the French or Germans any day!!!

Fuel in Britain is exactly the same price as it is in the USA - but then the Labour government add 70% tax to it!!!

I can see it coming in the USA before long. When oil got so expensive you Yanks started panicking and cut back a little on consumption - as soon as oil fell back you start using it like water again.

Oil is in short supply - there is no getting away from it. The price trend will keep going up unless people stop using so much.

I love nice big V8 petrols but diesels are so much better on fuel. Diesel cars have come a hell of a long way. I hired a diesel Jaguar - It was very quick - would pull 120mph all day and it would squat and accelerate at that speed if you floored it. Top speed of 143mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA6uEuh0ELY

The engine was so quiet you hardly knew it was running and it did 50mpg - can't complain at that - over 800 miles on a full tank!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
    The only reason fuel is so expensive in europe is tax. And just because Britain is in the EU doesn't mean we consider ourselves Europeans. We are much closer to you Yanks and Canadians than the French or Germans any day!!!

Fuel in Britain is exactly the same price as it is in the USA - but then the Labour government add 70% tax to it!!!

I can see it coming in the USA before long. When oil got so expensive you Yanks started panicking and cut back a little on consumption - as soon as oil fell back you start using it like water again.

Oil is in short supply - there is no getting away from it. The price trend will keep going up unless people stop using so much.

I love nice big V8 petrols but diesels are so much better on fuel. Diesel cars have come a hell of a long way. I hired a diesel Jaguar - It was very quick - would pull 120mph all day and it would squat and accelerate at that speed if you floored it. Top speed of 143mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA6uEuh0ELY

The engine was so quiet you hardly knew it was running and it did 50mpg - can't complain at that - over 800 miles on a full tank!!!

the biggest issue with diesels here is the fuggin EPA.... they choke them down so badlythat they drink fuel versus the same motor abroad...

look at the new TDI.... 35 mpg... the old ones got close to 60...yet they say the new ones are cleaner... hogwash

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about that - the modern diesels over hear have all sorts of emmissions crap on them. The EU is really bad for it.

Having said that many modern diesels will put out a huge cloud of black smoke when they accelerate. In Britain we have an MOT test annually for all cars over 3 years old. Part of that is a smoke test and I really can't see these new cars passing it in 3 years time!!!

There are some small diesels now doing about 80mpg. That makes these stupid hybrid cars look silly - they manage about 40mpg.

Of course my boat uses a nice 2 stroke outboard!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not here... they are so loaded down with emmissions crap that it makes the EU look like NOTHING!!! DPF filters, EGR of over half the exhaust volume, fuel being burnt and ignited in the exhaust pipe to raise exhaust gas temperatures to clean the tail pipe.. and about everything else that causes a loss of milege and engine effencicy.. the new ford 6.4L (international maxxforce 7) diesel has a sum total of 7 air to air or air to liquid coolers on it... between transmission, engine, powersteering, EGR, intercooler, oil, and AC condensor... its REDICULUS!!!! and they are getting about 30% less MPG than the old 7.3 non intercooled did...

if a diesel is tuned PROPPERLY, they run CLEANER than anything else on the plannet, no need for the extra crap... they also use the most chemically volital fuel on the plannet..... so there is ZERO reason for them NOT to get 80 MPG

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad truth is theyll charge whatever they want.As long as we still need it we will pay what they ask,like it or not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
    I don't know about that - the modern diesels over hear have all sorts of emmissions crap on them. The EU is really bad for it.

Having said that many modern diesels will put out a huge cloud of black smoke when they accelerate. In Britain we have an MOT test annually for all cars over 3 years old. Part of that is a smoke test and I really can't see these new cars passing it in 3 years time!!!

There are some small diesels now doing about 80mpg. That makes these stupid hybrid cars look silly - they manage about 40mpg.

Of course my boat uses a nice 2 stroke outboard!!!
    That's exactly what I'm talking about!!! I do think the new TDI's will show they get in the 50's for manual transmissions. I truly believe the clean diesel technology helps the environment and oil cunsumption of a nation. One question I haven't seen answered.....What happens to all those batteries in the hybrids when they need replacing?? I believe they are NiMH....talk about poluting the planet.

I'm hopeful that we ( U.S. ) have more choices of clean diesel powered vehicles....I think they'll show hybrid technology to be complex and inferrior.

Wayne

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast