Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

School me on Diesel trucks

Im looking at a 2007 Dodge ram 2500 with the new 6.7l motor. Truck has 5800 miles and the truck looks mint. What maint needs to be done and stuff i can do to the truck. Truck has 8yr/80,000 mile warranty and the sales guy was saying something about cummins has there own warranty also. i gotta find out more details about that. This will be my first diesel truck. People tell me to stay away from ford b/c there always breaking down?. Any info i would really appreciate.
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a very angry GMC Duramax. Lifted 6" with 35's that gets about 18 mpg on the highway and tortures little rice burning cars off the line.. My truck is a road queen and afraid of Dirt, but a mean little Beotch at the boat ramps..

Not sure about Dodge but I have been told to change the engine, Tranny, and Diff oil regularly and watch the EGT's if you are going to improve the performance with chips, intakes, and exhaust mods..

My truck has 35k on it and just now feels like it is broken in.. Love my truck, I plan on driving it to the ground..Not had a single issue.

Future mods will be Stacks. I love that look. Like the truck on Transformers..

I recommend mods, they improve the trucks on many levels..
    I love my job,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are going to get people pushing you in every direction. It's more what truck do you like. I would lean more towards a 5.9 Cummins. I don't know a ton about how the new motors compare, but the 5.9 is tried and true, and pretty much the standard in light truck diesels. Many complain about the quality of the Dodge truck though. I would rate the Duramax/Allison combo real close to the Cummins.

If mileage is a concern to you, take a look at what people are actually getting with each combo (calculated numbers, not computer numbers).
    '86 Valero YT, 2.5 200

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not a picky person and this dodge is a SLT exterior blue with grey cloth interior. There selling this one for $23000 and there giving me about $2700 for my vehicle and the car has about 133000 miles. The truck needs some money dumped into it which seriously its not worth it. Hopefully I can negotiate on the price on the dodge. The only thing i didnt like what bothered me was when it was on idle and the motor was cold the battery gauge will flutuate from lets say 14 to 11.5. Thats one thing im gonna ask about. I just want a truck that i could have for a while. i had my truck which was a 1999 infiniti qx4 which is basically a pathfinder and i gotta say it was a very very good truck. i bought with 40,000miles and the only mechanical parts that broke on me was the distributor and A/C. Now its giving me some problems like i have an oil leak somewhere and i dont feel like fixing it and i believe its one the main seal by the tranny.
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I think you are getting screwed on trade in on the Infiniti. I would sell outright or at least get a second opinion on trade in.
    '86 Valero YT, 2.5 200

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluecheckmate View Post
    This will be my first diesel truck. People tell me to stay away from ford b/c there always breaking down?. Any info i would really appreciate.

My Ford has over 275,000 and the only thing that has broke has been a rocker arm bolt. Easy fix and still runnin strong.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kartracer View Post
    Honestly, I think you are getting screwed on trade in on the Infiniti. I would sell outright or at least get a second opinion on trade in.
    i looked at the kbb and its only worth about 3200. It's an old infiniti. 1999 3.3l v6.
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    My Ford has over 275,000 and the only thing that has broke has been a rocker arm bolt. Easy fix and still runnin strong.

Rock
    What year is your ford?
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what about maint on these trucks. Like oil change and i think i heard something about water seperator? Also, replacing brakes. Is it expensive or samething like any other vehicle.
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i looked at the kbb and its only worth about 3200. It's an old infiniti. 1999 3.3l v6.
    Like I said, I would look around. Don't just trust one source for price. Different sites are saying different things. I am finding them for sale for around $5000 or so.
    '86 Valero YT, 2.5 200

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2001 Ford Excusion with the 7.3. Great truck!!!!!! Stock around here we were getting about 20 and 23 highway. Diesel are great for longevity. Oil changes for our truck are costly(takes 15 qts and a monster of a filter), water separator need s draining every oil change and replacing every 15 to 20000 miles. Brakes are no different then any other truck. I installed a microprocessor, increased mileage about 10 to 15% with a big increase of power. Around here diesel is about 30 to 40 cents higher then reg fuel. We have a 44 gallon tank so fillups are more costly also. Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    We have a 2001 Ford Excusion with the 7.3. Great truck!!!!!! Stock around here we were getting about 20 and 23 highway. Diesel are great for longevity. Oil changes for our truck are costly(takes 15 qts and a monster of a filter), water separator need s draining every oil change and replacing every 15 to 20000 miles. Brakes are no different then any other truck. I installed a microprocessor, increased mileage about 10 to 15% with a big increase of power. Around here diesel is about 30 to 40 cents higher then reg fuel. We have a 44 gallon tank so fillups are more costly also. Chuck
    15qts!!!! wow but you said every 15 to 20000 miles. So basically once a year if your doing 15k a year.
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

15qts!!!! wow but you said every 15 to 20000 miles. So basically once a year if your doing 15k a year.
    The water separator is every 15 to 20000, I change the oil every 5000, so for us it's about every 3 months. Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much am i looking at for an oil change doing it myself and also which oil to use on the 6.7l
    Reaction 19ft

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U need a diesel to tow your Action?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast