Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difference between sportmaster toquemaster fleetmaster and "stock"

I am sick of rebuilding my spurtmaster so I am moving to a stock gearcase.Lets hear everyones opinions.I know the sporty was never the ideal case for my boat but it came with the motor when I got it.What are the dimensional and internal differences in these units.I think I will eventually put a bobs nosecone on the stock unit.
    Merc should be embarassed at the poor performance of the sportmaster in salt water.Shafts rust and pit, seals blow out in a few hours of run time.Its not like I neglect the maintenance but it has gotten stupid now.My driveshaft is barely 12 months old w/@15-20 hrs of use.The boat sits out of the water on an airdock.I am disgusted.
    Progression 24LD Optimax 250XS
    USA Hockey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stock

First off how fast is your boat running with that motor unless you are running in the upper 70;s to 80;s i would run a stock case meaning stock no nose cone and with stainless shafts unless you go out in the rough and do alot of wave jumping in and out of the water you would be better off with a stock case because in the saltwater you will constntly have problems with the shafts rusting and takeing out seals. They are alot tougher inside than a stok case but if you have a normal boat running around and you are not brutal on it a stock case will hold up fine. Keys Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boat runs 73-74,and I don't really beat on it. I'll run in the ocean a half dozen times a season. I try to keep it sane.Thanks
    Progression 24LD Optimax 250XS
    USA Hockey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At those speeds a torquemaster of "stock" fleetmaster would be better. The cases are the same size and being narrower than the sportmaster you may see a couple mph increase. But as stated in the previous post you'll still have issues with pitting unless you have s/s shafts. The torquemaster uses the same internals as the sportmaster so if you can find just a case you could swap everything over. There is one now for sale by graynester for $500. But even a fleetmaster would hold up as long as you don't beat on it too much. I ran a stock fleetmaster on my 22 Velocity with a 300pm for 3 years with absolutely no issues. I now run a torquemaster and still have the fleetmaster as a spare, and wouldn't hesitate to use it at any time.
    Last edited by amityray; 02-05-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My machinist will turn down and plasma spray those shafts with a nickle alloy that won't corrode and will be better than new. The seal problems will be over. Call Robert Saunders @713-771-0095. $200+ freight.