Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isnt jim cotzen in NV now not TN

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 150aintenuff View Post
    isnt jim cotzen in NV now not TN
    I thought it was Tenn. but I will ask Phil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know he was in TN but i thought the hydrostream plant and jim moved to NV.. but could be wrong.. their contact info is Lost wages NV

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeBit View Post
    If you think these boats are built cheap you better check your facts!!! Pound for pound!!! they are as good as anything out there for the price!!! You can pay alot more but you are not going to get alot better -- You can pay double the price!!!! but is it worth it!!
    No I only know of two hydrostreams being built by Jim in Tennessee and by Jonh Spaeth in Cananda. Georgia Stream is now buying the hulls from Jim just like Randy does with Liberator. He then does all the rigging wiring and finishing touches himself.
    You are a complete fool.

First, you owe David an apology. He had his facts straight, you were shooting your yappy keyboard off again. You need to get yours straight. The boats David was speaking of are these. http://www.minxpowerboats.com/

And if you can buy one for $20k with a motor, you bet they are cheap. He wasn't talking about a Contzen or Speath boat, and much like everyone else on here, knows way more than you.

All you do is spew off at the mouth and insult people, at least you aren't typing your profane crap anymore but, I remind you. You add NOTHING to this site except a target, for others to mock.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all I can say is I loved my Checkmate I beat that thing for years with a 115 on it then a 2.4 200 ..it chine walked anything above 70 was a blast to drive and would catch air you could clock with a sun dial off ***** I wouldn't think of taking a light lay up boat out in...and it was light enough to tow even with a 1380lb car with manual steering a straight axle and manual brakes
    There's alot of days I wish I had kept that setup for reliable second boat....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HeeHee

I take it ya don't like snake.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XSive View Post
    You are a complete fool.

First, you owe David an apology. He had his facts straight, you were shooting your yappy keyboard off again. You need to get yours straight. The boats David was speaking of are these. http://www.minxpowerboats.com/

And if you can buy one for $20k with a motor, you bet they are cheap. He wasn't talking about a Contzen or Speath boat, and much like everyone else on here, knows way more than you.

All you do is spew off at the mouth and insult people, at least you aren't typing your profane crap anymore but, I remind you. You add NOTHING to this site except a target, for others to mock.
    Thats why I answered him NO did you read that or do you read what you wanted to read. Like I said all I know of is two people that build hydrostreams end of story. Why do I owe him an apology because he might know someone else who is building a Knock off. And how does that concern me?? I dont know what he was talking about that is why I answered him the way I did. Get over pal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do I owe him an apology because he might know someone else who is building a Knock off.
    You owe him an apology because you answer him in a disrespectful manner. You told him to check his facts when he was right. David isn't one of the people on here who gets into the crap. He is a nice guy and contributes where he can. He asks good questions and answers stuff where he can. The exact opposite of YOU!! People like you are the reason people like him stop posting and go away forever. You are like "people repellant". You have no respect for anyone elses comments or opinions.

So back to my question a few weeks ago.... If I get enough money to refund your VIP membership, will you go away? Besides PYRO, I don't think a sole would miss you.

I was bombarded by PM's from people the last time wanting to contribute.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a different note, Checkmate did a lot better job of evolving with the market than Hydrostream. Checkmate went big, and is still around, with no breaks for bankruptcy.

I doubt that any Checkmate is the fastest of its size, but as I noted above, not everyone needs the fastest boat. I certainly don't think Checkmates are bad in any way. But personally, I might need (and have) the fastest boat with 150 HP.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2 Cents

Looking at the side profile of a Stream it's A Big boat on a small bottom. Lots of front over hang. Gives lift with out drag. The Ck Mate has more boat per deck, more boat to read the water. Two different boats and useage. All shapes have results. Sorry for the simplicty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XSive View Post
    You owe him an apology because you answer him in a disrespectful manner. You told him to check his facts when he was right. David isn't one of the people on here who gets into the crap. He is a nice guy and contributes where he can. He asks good questions and answers stuff where he can. The exact opposite of YOU!! People like you are the reason people like him stop posting and go away forever. You are like "people repellant". You have no respect for anyone elses comments or opinions.

So back to my question a few weeks ago.... If I get enough money to refund your VIP membership, will you go away? Besides PYRO, I don't think a sole would miss you.

I was bombarded by PM's from people the last time wanting to contribute.
    If you have a personal issue with snake, settle it in PMs. All your doing is clogging this guys thread with bull****. U see anyone else feeding in ? Make your post on how you feel about both boats.. No one asked anyone who builds the better hull. People like you are the reason why some choose not to post on this forum. Who gives a sh*t about an apology. If the guy wanted one he would get on here himself and post. He obviously doesn't give a sh*t. It not like some nobody on here is going to destroy a solid reputation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In flat water without a doubt the Hydrostream will run a much higher speed with the same power. However things change dramatically when you start to run through the chop. The Checkmate will have the advantage the rougher the water gets.
    David

2000 Powerplay Sportdeck

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPAJAY View Post
    If you have a personal issue with snake, settle it in PMs. All your doing is clogging this guys thread with bull****. U see anyone else feeding in ? Make your post on how you feel about both boats..
    I've been watching this thread with interest from the start but wasn't going to reply knowing it would turn to a bash fest like they always do.

I have some observations that may be of interest (any many on here know).

First off as already stated, in the day Checkmates were race boats. They held pretty much every O/B Vee bottom record in oval course sprint races and Marathon OPC racing. This was in the 60's and 70's.
    They are NOT as fast as a Hydrostream or Allison etc.
    They are different boats designed for different uses. You are comparing a AMG Mercedes to a Viper.
    On Mates, I've owned them, seen them raced, restored them, tried to break them, been through the factory multiple times, sold them, etc.
    What you'll see is, if you take your 90+ MPH Stream or Alli to your local pond on a Sat/Sun afternoon 10 times when it's busy you'll be able to run 70/80 MPH 2 or 3 times and it will be a handful to do.
    Do the same thing w/a similar size Mate and you can do it every time while listening to the stereo and drinking a soda

A well sorted Mate w/enough power is as much fun to drive as anything else. 10 MPH slower in perfect conditions but how often do you see that?

I've spent a lot of time/money playing with very fast, very light boats and I'm burned out. To get the max from them you must run them as race boats.
    This means boating when there is no traffic, wind, waves, law etc, etc.
    So everything you do revolves around giving the boat what "IT" wants instead of what you want. This is one of the main reasons I am selling my STV. Even when I cater to the boats requirements we still end up limited to 80 or less in most instances.
    This eliminates a lot of the fun aspect for me.
    Ironically, I am now looking at old school Vee bottoms including Checkmates.
    I figure for a couple grand I can end up w/a 18' - 20', 100% balsa cored boat that with my motor should run probably .....high 90's maybe (no worries of delamination) when the conditions allow????? And mid 70's almost every day and be a ball doing it.
    Room for my stereo and drink holders
    I figure for anyone picking on me......, we can launch from my house in the Intracoastal and race to Melbourne and back (about 40 mls) on a Saturday afternoon and see who gets back first Hell, who gets back

I restored a '1969 16' Checkmate that sat outside, un-covered in Ohio it's entire life. It needed paint and seats ONLY!! Core, floor, stringers and transom were perfect. W/a 140 cross flow w/the low compression head gskts it ran 60 w/a 24" Raker and absolutely no set up and was one of the most fun boats to drive that I ever owned. W/a 22" Raker it was a killer slalom boat even with 4 adults in the boat! (try that in the other boats)
    I restored a '77 Vector that had been stored inside most of it's life and covered all it's life. The core was shot as was everything else, very poorly built and I would have been smarter to burn it!
    Bottom line....different boats intended for different uses. Those that pick on Checkmates simply have no clue what they're talking about.
    With the lighter/faster boats you can go to the local lake when it's hopping/fun and tell people how fast it would be if it was calm or you can have your 65 MPH Mate and take the scantly clad young ladies for rides. Huuummmhhhhh....

Bwormer, if you already have a Mate, rig it and run until it gets boring. When it does, then buy a $10K Alli or Stream Hull and see how long it takes you to have as much fun. (if you ever do)

Gary
    Last edited by Instigator; 01-18-2009 at 07:50 AM.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bworner View Post
    Hey Guys,some of you have seen some of the 'tarded posts and questions that Ive posted, Sorry Im a newbie......I sell boats for a living and have for years, All the guys I chat with here run Hydrostreams, and they all say that my Little 16 1/2 ft Checkmate Enticer is way too heavy to go fast, well today at the local Boat Show they had a 09 Checkmate 1600 Pulsare,exact same boat as mine,just 25 yrs newer,and I mean the same!!! Also a guy was talking about Minx Power boats, a guy out of Fla that has a Original V King mold is making a old Stream made modern,no wood core all Nida board or Omni Board some crap, but it weighed 50lbs more than mine,granted its 15inches longer, but why is my Checkmate too heavy to go fast,I figured speed had to do with the narrow pad and hull design,it kicks ass in rough water,but is not fast......sorry for the elaborate post but I wanted to be clear....
    I think fast is a relative term. The boat below was a handful at 70mph, chine walk, big smile and lots of fun. Instigator has made an excellent point. So run what you want and have fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    and you could always add more hp!!
    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. –Aristotle

Quinten

86' Hydrostream Vking YT, 2.4 Bridgeport EFI
    (Rigging and interior in the works)
    88' Hydrostream Voyager, 2.4 200 Merc
    Boat of The Month Feb. 2009
    resto here, http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=144414
    Dedicated to you Dad, I miss you! 1935-2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to keep my nonsense in the lounge. In the GBD I can only offer my opinion on what is limited knowlege I have in performance boating. My general rule when it come to real boating discussion is to defer to the others on this site who have far more expierence.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast