Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

olds 455 help - Glastron CVX

I recently picked up a fixer-upper '75 Glastron with a 455 olds.

I am looking to put this boat together for sub-5000 rpm. I want a boat that'll just be fun...not crazy fast.

The boat has no carb. Can someone recommend an economical carb choice? Think reliable and easy to use....not high-perf. Is 650 cfm enough? I see that the Edelbrock carbs are bunch less expensive than Holley. Are they any good? Anyone know a reliable rebuild shop that sells used marine carbs?

Also, the exhaust logs are the square type. I need to purchase new gaskets (for the end caps). The previous owner "aluminized" them so I have not been able to find any markings that indicate who built them. Can someone suggest who built them? If not, what material should I use to make some gaskets?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on this boat. The oil pan is only the original 5 qt. Will this suffice at sub-5000 rpms? If not, what's the most straightforward and cost effective oil pan to purchase?

found this one used.....anyone know if it would fit on a CVX-21?
    ff8e_1.JPG

Finally, I bought the boat in the middle of someone else's rebuild effort. I have a lot of the original Pack-a-Jet parts that all look good. It sure would be nice to have pictures of an intact motor with all the accessories mounted. Does anyone know where I could find pictures or a manual?

Thank you very much and sorry to ask so many questions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ff8e_1.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by broomeju View Post

Finally, I bought the boat in the middle of someone else's rebuild effort. I have a lot of the original Pack-a-Jet parts that all look good. It sure would be nice to have pictures of an intact motor with all the accessories mounted. Does anyone know where I could find pictures or a manual?
    What kind of original Pack-a-Jet parts are you talking about. The original "Pack-a-Jet" exhaust manifolds that I have seen were very compact, rectangular, and difficult to install/remove. The only place I have seen them for sale is here http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=3316 They look like the original to me.

Any auto supply store should have exhaust gasket material for making your own gaskets for the end caps.

The original carb was most likely a Quadrajet. An Edelbrock carb would work fine.....I would go with a 750 cfm. Don't worry about spending money to make this boat go crazy fast. It takes a lot more hp than you are gonna get from that 455 (no matter how much $$$).

The oil pan would be good if it will fit under the motor without hitting anything. The "oil issue" is not how much the pan holds. It's getting the oil from the overheads back down to the pan to lube the bearings before they run out of oil.

I have a copy of an original Pack-a-Jet owners manual. It's not in great condition and the pics are not the best. If I knew what you were looking for, I might be able to help.

I've owned several Olds powered jet boats. Here's a pic of one of them......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

455 pics

here are a couple of pics, I will try to get some more today and post them later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jet boat 005.jpg   jet boat 006.jpg   jet boat 004.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 76youngblood View Post
    here are a couple of pics, I will try to get some more today and post them later.
    That is one clean original looking boat. Very cool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 76youngblood View Post
    Thats one sweet looking boat!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See the carb thread for info, call me for OLDS INFO. 1timinator 623-877-8553

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got into outboards but as a old 442(69-72) guy i love the look of that olds dam if that would have been in my 69 4 speed 3.91
    90 Vegas 89 200 78mph

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have built quite a few 75-80 mph Olds jet boats, not too difficult to do for a true Olds engine guy. For that speed it is cheaper than an engine swap. Above 80 its probably cheaper to do the FORD or CHEVY. It is cheaper to build a 532 or 557 Ford than an equal sized Chevy. We build and like all of them. Let the Chevy screamers begin their rants. (I will settle the ranting wih solid info after the most interesting ones). 1TIMINATOR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

olds fever

i think a few of the readers here are still feeling sick from oldsmobile but others seem very satisfied. Very very satisfying for me would be a combo that isnt big dollar hungry. i plan on buying pistons and the options are a joke. i once saw a post here mentioning a chevy 396 .060 over piston or something. i know that a creative person with time to invest can configure an engine to make more power than ever imagined just by knowing a certain stroke with a certain rod and piston creates some real juice!!!!

speed secrets

does the flat top w/ valve relief piston make much more power than the small dish one? does it still run on pump gas with c- heads?

who knows the real combo?

obviously the oil thing must be addresses but wheres the power?

how much power?

70 mph would be so excellent and i might be there this time?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only If I could finnd the june 2006 Issue of Hotboat It has the Info to make a Olds Live 1TIMINATOR wrote it and He is to come out with a DVD on the OLDS engine the.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get on realoldspower.com and ask the peeps for a reprint of the article. i will post as I have time. 1TIMINATOR