Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senderofan View Post
    My Kicker uses remote throttle and steering. It also has electric trim and tilt. One bad design of my motor, that I've noticed, is...tilted up...the gas drains out of the carb. I may eventually remove the motor...to reduce the weight on the transom...We like the idea of having it around when we're fishing in remote areas and should the main motor fail...we'd have something to limp home with. But it is such a drag to get the thing to idle for the first minute or two.

Wayne
    that is ONE of the reasons i strayed from black motors.... atleast with your remote you arent stuck trying to fight the fact you have no cold idle advancement...

your new Etec should bbe a TKS motor everytime... optis sometimes are... others you have to crank quite a while to get the pressure and its candles lit... if the fuel is fresh, injectors clean then they are reliable.. get dirty though.. ugh,, they can be as stubburn as any old carb motor..
    Last edited by 150aintenuff; 02-26-2009 at 08:43 PM.

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    senderofan, I would simply do this for your older 15 4 banger.....If your able or not, get the motor professionally tuned, carbs cleaned, new plugs, and have all setting checked....I personally in Northern Wisconsin have never had a issue with a Merc-amaha, or a Merc-hatsu, they are all carbed and I would run Evinrude 2+4 in every tank simply because the crappy gas these days goes stale in like 10days, also run the best gas possible, I run no Ethanol, heck 93 octane doesn't cost that much for us recreational boaters, now a charter boat is different...Also have the carbs cleaned and a carb kit installed, correctly.....I have run ALL brands in 20 degreee weather and the start up is the most important and Easiest to screw up, simply push key in to choke, once started put in a slower idle and let he warm up, pretty simple, but alot of us are impatient....The 15 Merc Big foot Yammie power head was a great motor, and heck they Just now for 2009 changed to the Tohatsu powerhead on the 15 and 20hp, so yours and a 2007 is the exact same as far as a sales standpoint......now if you have a 175 E-tec, Id trade that Merc-amaha in, when the 9.9 E-TEC Kicker comes out, hopefully in 2010, damn thing has been needed for like 6 years, that way guys can stop painting their Yamaha T-8s Dark blue and putting E-TEC stickers on them, dont ask how I know that,,,,,,,Call me anytime if you want any "Inside" info......920-295-2069 Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesomebullet:

Thank you for the advice...I greatly appreciate it. I used to have easy access to non-ethanol premium gas. Now I think there is only one gas station that handles it...so I will try and use that as much as I can...along with the 2x4 fuel additive.

Thanks Again,

Wayne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What pitch is the Fury? I just bought a 24 that has been B&B'd by Croxton. Waiting to run it.

My boat, which is heavier, and has a carb Johnny 150 has GPS'd 68.9, and I am shooting for the 70 MPH mark too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top speed has been 70 mph on the GPS with Raker II 25P Prop. Key factors are cold weather, motor height, trimming as high as possible without compromising water pressure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is absolutely nothing wrong with the ethanol fuels... you just find out how dirty your existing system is... and you hve to jet for it.... especially if on the ragged edge...

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethanol sux. Don't want it in my boat, truck, or lawnmower either.

Attracts to much water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not if you run yer chit like yer supposed 2... if its parked with the gas cap off in the rain for 6 months then anything will have issues....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by misr12@mac.com View Post
    My top speed has been 70 mph on the GPS with Raker II 25P Prop. Key factors are cold weather, motor height, trimming as high as possible without compromising water pressure.
    if your trimming as high as possible you need more setback..................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 150aintenuff View Post
    not if you run yer chit like yer supposed 2... if its parked with the gas cap off in the rain for 6 months then anything will have issues....
    My boat tank is vented, so when it sits, with enthanol fuel, then it attracts water. Since water doesn't compress to well, I prefer not to run the risk of having it in my fuel, or have a fuel that is proven to attract it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    150, he cant get a diff set back, his boat has the only TRUE Transferable Lifetime Warranty in all of the marine biz, its cool, everyone that buys it gets a lifetime,deck,stringer,Transom,floor, so you cant mod it, or it voids that, which would suck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 150aintenuff View Post
    if your trimming as high as possible you need more setback..................
    Is this true for center console boats as well? The motor on my Key West 19' 2" center console is as high as I can set it on the transom and I can trim it to full trim without ventilating the prop. So, do you recommend a jackplate and more setback?

Regards,

Melvin
    If you can't run with the big dogs, just stay on the porch.
    Model E150DPLIIB, Serial 05311818

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4