Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin, I know the boat you own and the previous owner, Lars is a great guy.

Welcome to the AllisonOwners board, I'm an admin there and live not far from you in Napa.

Check out this link I have already thrown you to the wolves....

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showt...?t=6122&page=4

I also own the same model you have and with the same motor. Have had it since 2000 and have gotten into plenty of trouble with it. Would be happy to help out if you like.

Lou

PS your 2.5 280 Merc weighs in at around 375-400 lbs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KDAWG what was the "cocky" remark for? Ya know it seems when a young guy that asks a honest question, and it pertains to Johnnyrudes a select # of Merc Guys have to jump down your throat, when all I was doing was asking a honest question.....I dont get the issue with a question......I guess if your not a know it all here your not invited? I mean the guy wanted to put a fricking 4 stroke on a Allison,which Ive seen a Honda on their site, and we all know Honda doesnt offer a Sportmaster, so how does that boat even run? I mean without a sportsmaster the damn thing might sink? How can honda do it,and omc with the ficht,yet a Etec with a L2 is a No No, I think some of you DONT KNOW and are talking out of your Stuck in the 80's Asses. I will not ask anymore serious questions because of the assaults of stupidity.......Have a great night guys and I hope the Original Question gets answered and the Poor guy gets what he wants vs. what you guys want? think about it..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4mom View Post
    Kevin, I know the boat you own and the previous owner, Lars is a great guy.

Welcome to the AllisonOwners board, I'm an admin there and live not far from you in Napa.

Check out this link I have already thrown you to the wolves....

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showt...?t=6122&page=4

I also own the same model you have and with the same motor. Have had it since 2000 and have gotten into plenty of trouble with it. Would be happy to help out if you like.

Lou

PS your 2.5 280 Merc weighs in at around 375-400 lbs.

Thanks Lou,,,

I think I threw myself to the wolves when I combined the words "Allison" and "Four Stroke" in the same thread... LOL I enjoy the hell out of the response I've gotten though...
    Put on a Happy Face...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bworner View Post
    KDAWG what was the "cocky" remark for? Ya know it seems when a young guy that asks a honest question, and it pertains to Johnnyrudes a select # of Merc Guys have to jump down your throat, when all I was doing was asking a honest question.....I dont get the issue with a question......I guess if your not a know it all here your not invited? I mean the guy wanted to put a fricking 4 stroke on a Allison,which Ive seen a Honda on their site, and we all know Honda doesnt offer a Sportmaster, so how does that boat even run? I mean without a sportsmaster the damn thing might sink? How can honda do it,and omc with the ficht,yet a Etec with a L2 is a No No, I think some of you DONT KNOW and are talking out of your Stuck in the 80's Asses. I will not ask anymore serious questions because of the assaults of stupidity.......Have a great night guys and I hope the Original Question gets answered and the Poor guy gets what he wants vs. what you guys want? think about it..

Dude you need to take a pill. I was assuming you knew the answer. I dont. I wasnt try'in to be a smart A$$. I have heard the gearcases were junk I dont know! I thought maybe you did by your post. I never said he couldnt put an Etec on it. I know it was tried but, couldnt get the motor high enough to stop some handling issues. I suppose if you were planning on not running over around 75, 80 it really wouldnt matter what you put on the back. But, if a boat is capable of 100 mph you cant say you will never try it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can run a non coned gearcase 2" below the pad, and have acceptable handling, if you stay below 80. So a BRP or even a 4 stroke gearcase could work, if you didn't want to go real fast. Of course most Allison owners want to go fast.

I run my XR4 that low most of the time to save stress on the gearbox. It does require more steering than with the engine higher.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs to ask this question on A owners. Lots more experience with the XB 2003 over there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry Dude

KDawg I sincerely apologize for my "cocky" response.....I really thought because of how you worded it, that it was another BRP Attack....Your 100% right, you must have read Todd's posts on BBC....and to answer the original consumers question, the 2.6 liter etec does not seem to be modable like the 2.5 Merc,not even close....For some reason BRP has decided not to focus on that motor,even though as all remember that motor really put out some power in the Hey Day, but this is now....Id do alot of research, like KDawg said check the Ally owner area, but dont get discouraged and get what you dont want...Ivan or Rick the bosses at Bass Cat Boats has had a terrific relationship with Suzuki, and have used the 250SS on the Puma hull in years past, and gotten terrific results, but as was posted they had to turn I think a 30p prop, John from BBC was probably the tester on that one....If you want torque,power,and ease of use and most importantly to most ez maintenance shop the Etec, if you want clean,quieter than the old ones,and great on fluids, but not as user friendly for maintenance, but you have the advantage for a Ally because of the huge amount of testing,setups, and MERC RACING helps...I have a very similar client that has a newer Hydrostream Vegas, its a Canadian version I believe, he wanted something different,quiet,torquey and EZ, and he is getting this spring a 225HO in white, and If im correct a 'Stream and a Ally are both Ultra High Performance hulls, granted they are totally different.....The Bullet Crowd down south has been really achieving great #'s with stock 250 HO's, one guy on here even had a company put their nose cone on, but after testing and talking to "gurus" like Liquidnirvana and Etec1, the Lightning 2 may have been faster and easier for handling....I personally have been after BRP to finally bring out a 175 HO ETEC, simply to give the High Performance 2.5 PRODUCTION Mercs a run for their money, and supposedly this project may happen....See the 2.6 liter goes from 150 ETEC, 150 HO ETEC,175 ETEC, and 200 ETEC, the 150HO is faster in most testing than the 175, but they may be tuned the same for HP and torque, yet the HO has the low restriction gear case, so the 175HO could be 194.44 HP at the prop legally (10% Rule), and then with the Lightning lower unit you would have a nice and reliable Bullet style lower unit with lower than normal water intakes.......I'd seriously call Todd Morgan at C&O marine,this should link you to his tests??? http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/281011 let me know if this helps and works, their used to be pics of it, it looked cool as hell to me????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Aren't the new optimaxes 3.0 liters? Per Allison, the 3 liter is a no no. I thought Mercury doesn't sell the 2.5 anymore?
    In reference to the Hydrostream Power Tour:

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    This is seriously one of the best threads on this site ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlowMaxx View Post
    Aren't the new optimaxes 3.0 liters? Per Allison, the 3 liter is a no no. I thought Mercury doesn't sell the 2.5 anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Allisonboats.com
    The use of an overweight engine on the Allison XB-2003 ProSport could swamp the boat and/or cause severe handling problems at high speeds resulting in an accident with injury or death. DO NOT INSTALL an engine of 3-liters and up, nor any engine weighing more than 440 pounds, regardless of its horsepower. Allison Boats will absolutely NOT be responsible nor support any such activity in any way.
    With that weight warning, it leaves you at 200 hp (not HO) or less with E-tec. It also looks like you are limited to 175 hp with the Mercs (OptiMax and ProXS). Anything over that is a 3.0L.
    '86 Valero YT, 2.5 200

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Can the sportmaster be ordered on the 175xs? What RPM is it limited to?
    In reference to the Hydrostream Power Tour:

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    This is seriously one of the best threads on this site ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5500-6000 And at 431# claimed weight, it's the only Opti that will "work" on an Allison XB-2003.

Ló fasz racing
    Joe Horvath

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a 200xs ...........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a guy @ c/o marine(todd i think) that has ran etech on a 02 allison.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alxb2003 View Post
    there is a guy @ c/o marine(todd i think) that has ran etech on a 02 allison.
    Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    An Etec would be nice if they made a lower unit you could cone and surface without worring about it breaking. Follow ths link to read about a Dealer who put a 200 Etec on a XB 2002. Should be a good comparison to what you would face. http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/281011 As you read this thread you will see they were having extremme handleing issue because of fear a coned case would not hold up.
    Yea, I figured if he read that he would think about looking for a nice used promax or a 200xs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    225X 200XS promax 225 ect.. no 3.0 unless you want to live with the consequence of no support from factory especially valuable if someone gets hurt... your better of leaving the 280 and mixing 40:1 alysin oil and getting a set of 200XS opti stickers for it.

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast