Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a 1999 200 with about 100 hours on it with no problems AFTER it was rebuilt around 65 hours. I did not own it before it was rebuilt so I don't know why it ate a piston. I do know that there is a fix for the early ones through DFI Technologies for around $600. I talked to someone there and they told me that there was about 20 different things wrong with the computer. They range from cold soldier joints to wrong resisters all together. Thanks OMC! I took my chances with NOT doing the fix. So far so good!

Brad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the 02-up ficht motors were BRP motors. I was not a fan of the early 96/97-01 Ficht motors. I was previously employed by a BRP/OMC dealer. Yes the early computers were junk. If one broke out of warantee...you're screwed. I have heard better things about the 02-up ficht motors but I got out of the marine service industry just after the newer motors started showing up.

NNT, you can still use the same system check guages with the newer DI motor too. I'm pretty sure even the tach is the same.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you think the part throttle fuel burn of say a 200-250 BRP DFI would be better then a carbed 150 rude? Also if the DFI motors got the smaller V6 gear case and this accounts for the top end advantage, is this also a weak area on them? The hull this hypothetical motor would be mounted on is a 1978 21 Whaler hull, about 1200-1500 lbs and easily planed with a single 60 hp motor.
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 225 Ficht Ram would have the lightning case, the 225 and 250 Ficht would have the magnum case. The magnum (looks like a traditional Merc Torqemaster case) is very strong and bulletproof, while the Lightning L1 case has smaller internals and isn't nearly as strong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only gripe with these motors is the the lower unit (gearbox). all of the 115 i know all blew the bearing carriers. we found that they were not secure enough and eventually started moving so we pinned them in place straight away.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNT View Post
    Do you think the part throttle fuel burn of say a 200-250 BRP DFI would be better then a carbed 150 rude? Also if the DFI motors got the smaller V6 gear case and this accounts for the top end advantage, is this also a weak area on them? The hull this hypothetical motor would be mounted on is a 1978 21 Whaler hull, about 1200-1500 lbs and easily planed with a single 60 hp motor.
    I have an 08 225HO E-TEC and on a larger ski boat doing heavier work it uses less fuel than my old 150 carby Yamaha which was an economical motor for its time.

On average your fuel burn will be less. At part throttle it could be a lot less. Stratified combustion is your friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet

There doing good things,no-doubt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2