Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harley Davidson FrankenDeuce Progress

I finally got around to building a template to adapt dual headlights. The first attempt had them too far forward. I like the way it moved visual mass forward without a lot of weight. When I added the dual front disk and reduced the front wheel to 18" it threw a lot of the balance to the back but I think this will make a nice addition.
    <o>
    </o>Here's a shot of my template. It's scrap from work. It had my saber saw blade glowing and even the band saw struggled. It drilled easy enough and sanded well but stunk. I'll probably get lung cancer. Clearly, the first attempt projects the headlamps too far forward. Once I get the dimensions correct, I'll have someone with more talent repeat it in aluminum and chrome it. No grief on the RK takeoff brake lines; they were free and gone when I'm more flush with cash.
    <o></o>
    I did some searching for wiring sources and found this person. Take a look at his site. The guy understands quality:
    <o></o>
    http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html
    <!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->Rather than do a marginal job with the gear I have or buying the proper tools and hardware and having a bunch of stuff left over that I no longer have a use for, I'm going to have him build me the harness. I've decided to give both headlight's high and low beam it's own fused line. The existing harness will be pulled back below the tank. I'll use it to control the two relays that'll switch both headlamps high/lows.
    <o></o>
    Also, I'll be putting the horn on a relay with two outputs: one to the horn; the other will have a diode and trigger the both high beams. That way, when I honk the horn using low beams, it'll activate ALL four light sources (the reason both headlamps will get their own fuse) which should get the "stoplight creeping and I'm looking through you car" driver's attention more than my feeble horn.
    <o></o>
    Sure, there's weight involved in adding a second brake but the performance benefit is greater. Further, the 18" wheel/tire has a 50 percent increase in footprint. Headlamps have a bunch of chrome on 'em but really are pretty light weight compared to everything else on the bike that's chromed.
    <o></o>
    Sorry for the crappy phone photo but it shows the final location of the dual headlights. When I moved the bracket back toward the trees an inch, I had to go with allen bolts from below the bracket to clearance them on the lower tree. There's actually enough harness now to make it rideable not that it matters - it's too cold and the harness will get replaced.
    <o></o>
    I may be the only Harley owner working hard to hide the customizing. Most folks don’t even notice the dual front disks or 18” wheel. Sure handles better, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00007.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	160608   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00008.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	160609   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00015.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	160610  
    19 JBX mystery hull/2000 225 promax 8 Livingston/8 merc - my workhorse