Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinion wanted, VKing or Vector

So I am looking at getting a winter project and I have come across a 1980 Hydrostream Vector or 1980 Hydrostream V-King and not sure what one would be the one to get. I have been out of the boating scene for so long and have got the bug again big time and the last boat I had was a 70's Hustler Wildcat that got sold in the early 90's and I miss it big time!

I dont have pictures right now of the 2 streams but I will soon I hope but I will fill you in the best I can on both of them.

1890 Hydrostream Vector, The boat needs new carpet and seats. Guy was told the floor may be rotted, so he cut out a test section and said the floor looks excellent. The parts where the seats were molded in, need repair, but otherwise is very solid. Has a 135 HP johnson that runs excellent. All of the controls are present and work, minus the trim and tilt. The motor and cylinders for it need work or replacement. There are new rollers and guides for the trailer but need to be installed. The boat itself has a decent cover so it's nice and dry. The 22 pitch prop is excellent too. No ,it's not stainless and he wants $1500 for it.

1980 Hydrostream V-King, Guy says its a solid boat with good transom and floor. Says its ready for a motor, seats and a battery and it is a very solid boat. Wants a $1000. They guy selling this boat has it listed here somewhere as well I believe. No motor with this one though. EDIT: Found the post... http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=110458

I am aware that both may need work and that is ok. I am just looking for something to start with and am really lost. I dont want to end up paying to much for something and end up getting in over my head.

Just looking for some input from others that know a whole lot more than I do right now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Per the Vector roller trailers and hydrostreams are a huge no no. Automatically assume the core is bad untill you have been 100% shown that it is not. Same per the V-king. It's a pretty big undertaking to re-core a stream.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The core is the number one issue with the streams, make sure that you know what the condition of the core is before you purchase anything.

What are planning on doing with the boat? If your looking for all around performance/ good handling go with the Viking but if your looking for strictly top end numbers the Vector should be a little bit faster.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vector vs VKing

I have owned both boats, if you just want to straight line drag then the Vector is better. If you want an all purpose family type Hi Perf boat the V-King is much better, it is more forgiving and a little bit longer, the pad is also different. Good luck with what ever you decide

Rick
    "Conklin Racing" M/E 0494
    Sponsers,Conklin Racing, Speed-N-Sport Marine

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    Per the Vector roller trailers and hydrostreams are a huge no no. Automatically assume the core is bad untill you have been 100% shown that it is not. Same per the V-king. It's a pretty big undertaking to re-core a stream.
    I own what I thought was a pristine example of a surviving 1976 Viper and did not find anything wrong until I was rigging it with a XR2 V6 and my knee found a soft spot which turned into a wet core from the floor section down to the pad. Mine would have survived had I kept the V4 on it and run it @ 60mph but thats not why I bought this boat. If you are serious about this/these boats, as Capt.Insane-o said, roller trailers are bad bad bad bad bad. Did I mention that rollers are bad? Rollers = pressure points which distort the hull over time and can cause stress cracks which lead to bad things at high speeds. Some 'Streams are resin deprived on the inside allowing moisture to penetrate the core and once there, it has nowhere to go but fore and aft.

I am by far the expert but I've learned alot the hard way in the last few months....just food for thought...be prepared for major surgery but hope for the best!!

Jeff
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Either way, plan on doing a recore! Unless you get lucky and get a decent built boat then the core is wet!

Alan

Power Marine 650 Offshore Race, Yamaha 130 Pro-V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never owned a Vector, but I have a V-King and loved the way it drove. Once it was on the pad and set, you could almost lock the steering wheel and go sit in the back seat. It never felt like it was going to do anything strange. If it blew out you could jerk the steering to the left, and get it back on the pad. It never hooked, and they can be made to run into the 115mph range with proper setup, and big power.

I wouldn't trust any Hydrostream core on any of them made back in the Pipcorn era. They were good boats, but the cores only last so long, even after being redone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for everyones input. Hopefully when I get back in town in a few weeks from work I am going to be going to look at both of these boats. Is there anything to looks for or a way to go over it as much as possible? I might have a guy go with me that does boat repair for a living to help me out but its not a done deal yet if he can make it.

Hopefully they are not to bad. Heck, I might end up dragging both of them home if they are not to bad. One for me and one for the girlfriend or both for me. lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If they have been sitting then they are most likely rotten... my brother thought he had an awsome vegas that was is immaculate condition, all original until it delaminated on him, thank god he wasn't goin fast enought to really hurt himself.
    best info i can give you is make sure they are not rotten... go through them top to bottom...
    Mirage RR
    Lake Tarpon Boyz!!!