Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing (2006) 225XS Pro - can't fog it in?

I don't exactly understand what the difference is - fogging it in vs pull the spark plugs and try to squirt about 1 oz of oil in each hole and turn it over by hand. Does 'left over' oil protect the crank and bearings?

Maybe I am over simplifying it but it seems like more work to acomplish the same thing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

????

Thats a question I was hoping would pop up this fall.....I was always told that you squirt the DFI oil in the cylinders, I mentioned this to a tech buddy of mine and he swore on FICHTS,HPDI's and OPTIS that you stabilize and gear oil and thats it???? My old marina did it your way,but he said it can kill your plugs or injectors????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Optis, fogging the motor will get the oil in the air injectors and can plug them. By putting an teaspoon of oil directly in each cylinder, then rotating it by hand with the plugs out, you distribute the oil on the cylinder walls but don't get any into the air injectors. The crankshaft and bearings have a forced oiling system similar to a car and will always be coated in a thin film of oil since the fuel never passes over the bearings to wash it off....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you want to stabalize fuel and run to cycle fuel thru the fuel rail's, after this is done and you will not be running the motor anymore.. if you have a ddt run thru a oil pump prime or with the key on shift the motor fwd to neutral 5 times in 10 sec this will activate the oil pump prime as well. if done properly you will here the fuel pump start and the oil pump start clicking.. i hope this help's.. later rick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merctech5591 View Post
    if you have a ddt run thru a oil pump prime or with the key on shift the motor fwd to neutral 5 times in 10 sec this will activate the oil pump prime as well. if done properly you will here the fuel pump start and the oil pump start clicking.. i hope this help's.. later rick
    Why would you want it back in breakin mode for two hours? This is not Mercury's recommendation, your perhaps, not Mercury's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XSive View Post
    Why would you want it back in breakin mode for two hours? This is not Mercury's recommendation, your perhaps, not Mercury's.
    if you read the post he is asking what need to be done to winterize a motor.. if he does not have a ddt that is what need's to be done, have you read a service manual lately.. yes the motor will be put into breakin but if someone is doing it them selves im sure they do not have a ddt.. what's going to happen?were talking about extra oil here. after a motor sit's for 5-6 mont's with out running the extra oil is a blessing.. take it as you want this forum is about helping people out..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merctech5591 View Post
    if you read the post he is asking what need to be done to winterize a motor.. if he does not have a ddt that is what need's to be done, have you read a service manual lately.. yes the motor will be put into breakin but if someone is doing it them selves im sure they do not have a ddt.. what's going to happen?were talking about extra oil here. after a motor sit's for 5-6 mont's with out running the extra oil is a blessing.. take it as you want this forum is about helping people out..
    Yes actually I have read a service manual lately, and I do understand what he is trying to do...prepare a motor for long term storage. (i.e. winterize) I am looking at the 225ProXS service manual right now, section 1B, pages 15-17 to be exact. manual part# 90-841916R01. Here's what it says in regards to this...

Protecting Internal Engine Components
    NOTE: Make sure the fuel system has been prepared for storage. Refer to Fuel System, preceeding.
    IMPORTANT: Refer to Spark Plug Inspection and Replacement for correct procedure for
    removing spark plug leads.
    1. Remove the spark plugs and add approximately 30 ml (1 oz.) of engine oil into each spark plug hole.
    2. Rotate the flywheel manually several times to distribute the oil in the cylinders.
    3. Re‑install spark plugs.

I don't see any recommendation from Mercury to do what you are saying. Perhaps I am wrong. This forum is about helping people out I agree.
    Last edited by XSive; 11-02-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does 'break in mode do'?

I ran stabalizer and Merc fuel cleaner the last tank of gas so that was done.
    I drained the fuel filter and vapor seperator on the side of the motor.
    Then I pulled the plugs, tipped it up and squirted oil in the cyls. Used a ratchet and turned it over a few times with the plugs still out. Then put the plugs back in.

Moving the throttle back and forth did make it start clicking, the book said it will 'prime' the system if I read it right. Does that also put it in break in mode?

Will it act any different?

Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

????

Honest question, why doesn't every other brand do what BRP does for winterizing, what you guys described sounds like alot of work for any customer that I have sold too....Now if a tech or gear head owns 1 fine, but 99.9% of owners are just regular folk and will never do that stuff to a $10,000 motor, heck alot of my guys bring the damn etecs for me to click the key for $100 what a weird world we live in, I even tell them what to do, and they say,"if I wanted to be a mechanic I would have went to school for that"....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have heard people say that fogging (or using Seafoam) through the air plenum runs the oil through you air injectors but that isnt right. The air for the compressor which feeds the air injectors is brought in through the air filter in the air box....or am I mising something?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, the air for the injectors is routed from the compressor and doesn't actually get the fogging oil through it. The combustion process ends up getting residual fogging oil onto the injector tips and "can" or "may" cause issues. It's not that the problem occurs right away, it's that the residual fogging oil will sit on the injector nozzles all winter and can form a "gel" on the tips, causing a slight restriction.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its an oil injected motor right. just take the fuel water seperator off and add an ounce or 2 of 2 stroke oil and put it back on and start it up. cant get any easier than that...
    Helmut
    slow boats