Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1996 Stratos 295 PRO XL Set Up Help

I have a '96 295 with a 200hp '96 Evinrude with a 4" jackplate. I am currently running a 25" renagade 4" below pad 61mph GPS at 5500 rpm's. From reading forums and other info I think this boat can hit 70. I think my rooster tail is a little high when looking back. How do I adjust my set up?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 inches below the pad is too low, start out @ 2.5 below the pad and take it up a quarter inch at a time until you start to get low on water pressure and loose speed then go Back down a quarter. I'd try more set back too, 4 inches aint enough, I'd try 8 inches or maybe even 10. I'm not sure about what prop would be best with your set up, one of my best buddys has the same boat as you (his is a year newer) with a 200 johnson that has had a little work done to it, heads have been shaved, carbs re-jetted and carbon fiber reeds but other than that its stock, he's got a 8 inch slidemaster jack plate on his, and he is running in the low to mid 70s. I know he running a lab finished turbo prop. I'm not sure on the pitch, but I know he's turning around 5,800 rpms. And its a good boat to fish out of, plenty of room up front for two guys and rides good in the rough stuff. Good luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try a srx 27 or 29 with prop shaft even with pad or dail in rpm with engine height.i have a eliminator liberty ski boat(tank)with 200 evinrude srx 29 pitch it hits 71 gps at 6000 rpm.yout boat is lighter.your rpm should be 5800-6000.must use a prop that over the hub exaust

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Renegade can't run well at 2.5" below the pad. It's not the best prop for you boat. Like Skeeter say's first you need more setback than 4". Find a hydrodynamics setback plate or some other that will add 4". Or just find an 8" plate. All bassboats are heavy up front and need the setback. Once you get the engine back farther then you can come up on the engine height. I think if you just move your plate up your slip will increase with no speed gain.

As for props you need a better four blade like a Trophy. I think a 25P is the best pitch to start out with. With the setback you can raise up the motor so start at 3" below the pad and move up till you lose pressure. I think you will like what the setback does. I think you can hit 70 with at light load.

Never buy an overhub prop for a bassboat. It's a waste of money. And you'll never run even with the pad on a stratos.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replys. I am looking at getting an 8" plate and a 26 Raker II. I have read in other forums that people with similar Stratos boats are running in the 70's with the 26 Raker set 8" back. Looks like ebay for the renegade.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my eliminator liberty is heavier than that bass boat.with my 23p renegade it will hit 64 gps.my 29p srx will hit 71gps(over hub exhaust)1.5 below pad.6000 rpm.but has terrible hole shot.but its fastest ski boat on my lake.for speed nothing like a stream.for quality checkmate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is good site that does prop tests.

http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1083529

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm setting up that same kinda boat now.
    replaced the 6" plate with a 10" rapid jack magnum, and now it has the bow lift it needs. with a 3 sec. hole shot. no steering torque.
    at 4" below pad now it ran 63... gonna start working with fine tuning engine height. with a 24p raker now. ( prop tuning next)
    looking to end up around 67ish at 5700.
    that's about all a stock motor is capable of running with this boat.
    98 XR2001 Drag w/pro stock mota