User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Bernie,

I'm not sure how well my pics show it, but there is most certainly a bottom to the seatbox and glassed-in concave drains along the floor register on both sides. I cut, ground, and pried....but man, was that foam resilient. I almost wish mine came apart that easy considering it's all being removed anyway.

My stringers are bedded to the hull as well with core laid in between as yours was.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, mine was a deathtrap but it was easy to get the remains of the wood out!
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not weighed it, I should. I'm going with a light weight battery next year, that will drop it about 19 pounds. I didn't go super light with the layup as it really is a runabout not a racer.

I put the stringers on top of the core as it made for easier bagging. In hindsight I believe it was the right way strengthwise, although I have argued the other way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    I put the stringers on top of the core as it made for easier bagging. In hindsight I believe it was the right way strengthwise, although I have argued the other way.
    Now you have me curious. I'll be getting into more of the pad core and stringers after I remove the rest of the seatbox but, is it possible to tell just by looking at it whether or not the stringers are on top of the core or bedded to the pad? My stringers cant be more than 2-2.5 inches above the inner skin of the core ( measuring up from between the stringers ). And by that measurement, one would think that if it were on top, a stringer that short(height-wise) couldn't possibly offer much in the way of structural rigidity. I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

Jeff
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    although I have argued the other way.
    Say it aint so

Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    Now you have me curious. I'll be getting into more of the pad core and stringers after I remove the rest of the seatbox but, is it possible to tell just by looking at it whether or not the stringers are on top of the core or bedded to the pad? My stringers cant be more than 2-2.5 inches above the inner skin of the core ( measuring up from between the stringers ). And by that measurement, one would think that if it were on top, a stringer that short(height-wise) couldn't possibly offer much in the way of structural rigidity. I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

Jeff
    On the rebuild, we opted to put the stringers in first. Mine actually came with the stringers in second (on toop of the core) but the way it all fell together, we beefed up the hull where the stringers set, with some extra glass and kevlar in a fashion where it spread the load out. Additionally, since we used the Michigan board foam, we made them 1" wide. Gotta go,
    I'll be back
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    and you could always add more hp!!
    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. –Aristotle

Quinten

86' Hydrostream Vking YT, 2.4 Bridgeport EFI
    (Rigging and interior in the works)
    88' Hydrostream Voyager, 2.4 200 Merc
    Boat of The Month Feb. 2009
    resto here, http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=144414
    Dedicated to you Dad, I miss you! 1935-2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post

Jeff
    Those stringers will not be on top of the core
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    Those stringers will not be on top of the core
    Mine were not. JS puts them on top of the core on his rebuilds.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Haven't gotten a whole lot done lately due to other miscellaneous obligations but I finally finished getting the rest of the seatbox out and started cutting along the floor registers up close to the forward bulkhead. I got sick of climbing in and out of the boat really quick so Randy a.k.a.'Rock' scrounged me a pair of dollies to make my life easier....as always, thanks Randy, I owe you. I'm now down to around 10" off the floor which makes for easy in and outs. I know i'm moving slow on this but I'm more comfortable taking my time. Once I get the grinder at it, I'm sure I'll make up some time.

Before I get scolded again, I know I still haven't gotten the pads out yet...

the 'borrowed' dollies

1st cut along the floor register under the seatbox.

Still some rot here but it is dry.

Same deal here further up on the starboard side...rot along the floor register.

Passenger side more of the same.....haven't gotten the wheels to get serious with it yet.

Cut a few more feet of floor out and found that the test cut in the forward pad area was dry and solid along with port side outer core.
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff, Hard to believe such a beautiful boat still had rot that far forward. Keep at it, no boat rides until spring now anyway!
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskier View Post
    Jeff, Hard to believe such a beautiful boat still had rot that far forward. Keep at it,

Quote Originally Posted by oldskier View Post
    no boat rides until spring now anyway!
    dig in!
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In hindsight, I realized that the damage looks worse than it really is if you're not paying attention. All the sections I removed I laid next to the cuts for the sake of documentation. I looked at some of the stuff I posted previously and at first glance, it looked like it was rotten from the floor register to the outer edge....this is not the case. the boat still has alot of good core in it but I suppose its a moot point as its coming out anyway.

I'm leaving for Sarasota Florida on Monday Dec 15th and will have an empty hitch as well...more than willing to help out....

Jeff
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep it going!! cant wait to buy a house up in the cities and get the boat up here from lacrosse to start working!!

RJ
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!! I finally got around to reading this whole thread. You've got WAY more ambition than I do, Jeff! LOL. It's gonna be awesome once that boat is good as new, and you did it yourself!

My Stream was pretty clean and solid, but seeing your pics makes me wonder what the real deal was under the floor...
    2002 Sunsation 288
    1990 Hydrostream Vassarette YT - Sold
    1975 CeeBee Avenger Jet - LSx Swap - Sold

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
    My Stream was pretty clean and solid, but seeing your pics makes me wonder what the real deal was under the floor...
    I always wondered too. Were the newer Streams, Like Jeff's 90 Vasseret, prone to the rot like the ones built in the 70's?
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
    Wow!! I finally got around to reading this whole thread. You've got WAY more ambition than I do, Jeff! LOL. It's gonna be awesome once that boat is good as new, and you did it yourself!

You have reached the voice mail for Jeff, I can't come to the computer right now as I'm drinking fu-fu drinks on Siesta Key Beach enjoying 80 degree weather. Please leave your name, number, and a brief hateful, jealous, and spiteful message after the beep and I'll do my best to get back to you in a week or so....but don't count on it.........BEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast