User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    Already working on a solution for that Bernie. I was going to remove the tires and fabricate a plate with casters to bolt in place of the wheels so the trailer is only an inch or so off the ground. As for the gel, I'm planning on digging up some thick construction poly and tape everything in place until the project is done.

Good ideas Jeff.
    You are going to be VERY proud of yourself, your work and your boat. I was obsessed for the whole year I worked on mine. I'm sure Jeff (Riverman) was the same way for THREE years, and anyone else who has rebuilt a classic and saved it's life. (and maybe their own...)

How 'bout that fine workmanship on those factory stringers? Cut a notch 3/4 through it and slap it in....
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, too bad we're all so far apart. It would be a blast to go smokin' down a river together somewhere....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I daydream that stuff too...if you could just trailer it to Jasper next year....and you boahs ease up on th' gas so's I could keep up!
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskier View Post
    Yeah, I daydream that stuff too...if you could just trailer it to Jasper next year....and you boahs ease up on th' gas so's I could keep up!
    Sonik, you hearin' this? You have a good trailer?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, if it happened, could I be an honorary 'Jeff'?

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yessir,

My trailer looks like an erector set but it certainly road worthy. I'm already obligating myself for several events next year and thus far, I'm planning on hitting the Romp and River Ranch for sure...guess one more won't hurt
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys gotta give this a thought. We have Streams in Canada and Tennessee and Sonik lives right tween the two of ya. We will be setting a date, eventually, for this years Annual Illinois River Run. I provide the beach, and a grill, and we certainly like tearing up the water. We had 39 boats last run and it's gotten bigger every year so come up/down and join us.
    Trailer looks like it could use a few more bunks Jeff. Of course I have no idea where else you could put them. Mark thought you were going to take the two he pulled off his boat. Looks like you did a good job supporting the hull. I think you have done more than most and you will be fine. Let me know if you need help with the casters and be sure to get with me before you buy anything. I may have a set you can use. Street rod buddy of mine has a set he said I can have. If they will support a car your boat should not be an issue.
    You might also want to rethink the poly. Plastic can scratch your finish and the finish is what has you doing this project. If the boat had been ugly you probably would have scrapped it. There is a heavy paper product contractors use over finished hardwood floors to protect them during the final stages of a build. It does a great job protecting a finish softer than your gel. Something to look into.
    Project is looking good so far. We need to get samples of this glass I have to someone that knows the trade to see if it will work for your application. Also need to determine the length of the other steering cable so I can get this one exchanged. I know we discussed it but I am old and my memory isn't so good. Talk to ya soon.
    Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

protection

Great project, I've been following since you first posted.

As far as protection of that awesome finish, I'm not sure the paper would be any better than plastic. I would recommend some movers blankets with some 4 or 6 mil. plastic wrapped over that. Tape it up securely to an area of the trailer or some other part that doesn't have that great finish on it. The tape, even the non marking type will leave a mark if left on long enough. You could possibly wedge the blanket and plastic up under the gunnels with some scrap ply or cardboard and tape the other end to the trailer. Securing it would not be as much of an issue on the front and back where you are not climbing in and out.

The support bunks look more than adequate.

Sounds like you are going to pull the trailer wheels right off, that should get you where you want to be height wise.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    You guys gotta give this a thought. We have Streams in Canada and Tennessee and Sonik lives right tween the two of ya. We will be setting a date, eventually, for this years Annual Illinois River Run. I provide the beach, and a grill, and we certainly like tearing up the water. We had 39 boats last run and it's gotten bigger every year so come up/down and join us.
    Well,

Jeff and Bernie...Rock certainly has a point. Not to mention, it would be pretty cool having 3 Vipers together @ the same run. If you two would even consider such and endeavor, I'm sure I could put you guys up....I've got plenty of bedroom space...and mama makes a pretty mean biscuits-n-gravy I might add!!! And aside from the relentless razzing I got for my super secret squirrel offshore tree trunk OMC at that run, we had a blast for sure. Would be really nice to pull in more people from further away....good times for sure.

Jeff
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=cc1000;1520840]As far as protection of that awesome finish, I'm not sure the paper would be any better than plastic. QUOTE]

The paper I speak of is designed soley for the purpose of not scratching a finish. Incredibly
    durable. I have seen it hold up for weeks of extreme traffic on many different construction projects. Abuse above and beyond anything you might put it thru working on a boat.
    Rock
    Team Junk

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    The paper I speak of is designed soley for the purpose of not scratching a finish. Incredibly
    durable. I have seen it hold up for weeks of extreme traffic on many different construction projects. Abuse above and beyond anything you might put it thru working on a boat.
    Rock

Randy,

I'm assuming you are referring to the type that has some kind of adhesive backing or adhesive strips along the outer edges???
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Yeah, too bad we're all so far apart. It would be a blast to go smokin' down a river together somewhere....
    Geez, if it happened, could I be an honorary 'Jeff'?

Yes Bernie,

You can be an honorary Jeff for the weekend!!!
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff has an almost felt like finish on one side. As far as I know it comes in a roll and is about 3' wide. Always seen it taped down to floor and therefore assume it has no adhesive. I will make a couple calls and see if i can find some. Won't need much so maybe I can con someone out of a piece. I'll see what I can do.
    Rock
    Team Junk

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got those dollies today and they are nice. Give me a call.
    Rock
    Team Junk

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me too!

ok, i am not even done with my vking yet (now i am moving from lacrosse, wi back up to minneapolis so that puts me back even further) but i am going to get a viper tonight!!! 300 bones and i will have another project to work on next winter not even near done itching with this one but it can sit and wait for me. the cap is already off, they guy said it is a comp hull, light cap and i think it should have exposed stringers. he said he use to work for hydrostream in the late 80's to when they closed in the 90's. seems to know alot about the construction of them. he said that every one is built different, just depended on who was the one doing the work. he also told me that they did use a copper gun to put down the glass once the gel was in the mold not sure if that was true but i would think they may have to save some time, lay the gel, spray the glass, insert balsa and glass over balsa??? but anyways, i will have a viper too, may take afew years but i took the next step kinda excited all over again.

good work so far sonik!!

RJ
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast