User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    Damn, I shouldn't have responded to this post. Now I'm all itchy.
    Oh man.. I hear you there. If I look at these types of threads too long I start to twitch. I've ate enough dust fixing these things to **** one. That is going to be a sweet ride when finished though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Jeff,

I may have missed it in your thread but how did you pull the core out of the pad area? since mine has a concave pad, i'm thinking it might be a little tricky to prep the area properly. Its just kinda of a tight area and can see its going to be a pain in the arse...
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I initially wasn't going to even go in there. I was advised strongly to, so I cut a small hole and it was full of water. I cut the entire skin out at once using a thin zip disc on an angle grinder. You can get really close to the edge that way. then dig the core out as per usual!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime you have to lay core over a convex surface, lay it with the scrim side down and it will follow the contour. Then after you pull the bag off fill the spaces between the blocks of core with the ATC core-bond.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    Jeff,

I may have missed it in your thread but how did you pull the core out of the pad area? since mine has a concave pad, i'm thinking it might be a little tricky to prep the area properly. Its just kinda of a tight area and can see its going to be a pain in the arse...
    Mine was so resin starved, I just started it by tapping the corner by the stringer with a chisel, then just pulled it out with my hands. The pad usually comes apart the easiest, lowest point in the hull will be the most rotten.

Pete
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one nice looking viper you have there. I think I'm in the same boat as you,I just bought one and am setting up my shop for the same work. My gelcoat is bad though. Good luck.
    Chet Olson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff, keep us local guys posted if you need help with the boat or just drinkin. I'd like to come by and check out the progress and get a better idea of what the pictures mean with my own two eyes. BTW, my jon transom is up to snuff now and I've been fishing out of it!!

DIK
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njj502 View Post
    Jeff, keep us local guys posted if you need help with the boat or just drinkin. I'd like to come by and check out the progress and get a better idea of what the pictures mean with my own two eyes. BTW, my jon transom is up to snuff now and I've been fishing out of it!!

DIK
    Nick,

Get my # from Rock and give me a call sometime. You're more than welcome to make a trip out any time you feel the need to lend a hand or drink a beer, not necessarily in that order

Jeff
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ok....need some input

Several weeks ago I started removing core from my boat to find it needs some TLC. I was debating building a jig with casters and getting it off the trailer so it would be lower to the ground and easier to get in and out of. Instead, I mooched some channel and angle iron from Rock ( thanks buddy, I owe you!!) and decided to just add 5 more bunks to the trailer. It turned out pretty well (pics below). I spent a few hours adjusting the bunks to get everything square and I think it will suffice.

What I want to know is..... will what I've done support the hull sufficiently when the entire core is removed? Do I have to worry about any deflection in the hull that may have an effect on the bottom once the new core is laid into place? I'm not splitting the boat so I understand that makes things easier. Are there any tips or tricks involved with keeping everything straight and square prior to an entire demo above and beyond what I've already done? I might be over-analyzing/engineering this but I'm willing to spend the time prior if it will make things easier in the end. The innermost bunks run right up to the front edge of the seatbox.

Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful boat. Nice work so far.
    David

2000 Powerplay Sportdeck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    What I want to know is..... will what I've done support the hull sufficiently when the entire core is removed?
    Looks good to me. I didn't support mine that well and it was fine. Mine did have some deformation from sitting on a roller trailer that I had to fill later.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sonic, I did mine on 4 bunks with the deck removed and it held it's shape pretty well. I used 2X2's to hold the gunnels together with the deck removed. The glass has a fair 'memory' as long as the supports follow the contours of the hull, and my bunks had shaped themselves to the hull for years before I took it apart.
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, Let the air out of the trailer tires....gets you about 4 in. closer to the ground....makes a diff when you have to get in and out as much as you are going to....and BE CAREFUL WITH THAT GELCOAT! It's WAY too pretty and rare to mess up! Might want to get some fender aprons or something before you start mixing resin. If you slop some on the gel, it will break your heart. (Mine too...)
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskier View Post
    BTW, Let the air out of the trailer tires....gets you about 4 in. closer to the ground....makes a diff when you have to get in and out as much as you are going to....and BE CAREFUL WITH THAT GELCOAT! It's WAY too pretty and rare to mess up! Might want to get some fender aprons or something before you start mixing resin. If you slop some on the gel, it will break your heart. (Mine too...)
    Already working on a solution for that Bernie. I was going to remove the tires and fabricate a plate with casters to bolt in place of the wheels so the trailer is only an inch or so off the ground. As for the gel, I'm planning on digging up some thick construction poly and tape everything in place until the project is done.
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wierd

U now that thig had 2 get wet somhow,stored outside 4 some time,mine did the same (by the tank),so i cut te floor completely out (in fear a what i might find n the core looked pefect,nowin what i know now i woulda just fixed the spots that were saturated,ton a sandin n prep,a complete botton inspection 4 chips, n things were good.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast