User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, don't listen to others Jeffy, it took me three years to get my setup right and to run the way I wanted. Most of the setup advice I got didn't work for me, I just said thank you and tried things on my own. My first attempt at top end was 56 and my best was 80.5. That's a big spread.

Get used to the way the thing feels before you try for the big numbers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Jeff,

You sure have one awesome boat there, definetely the nicest original finish Viper I have ever seen. To me that is what makes it so awesome. Nothing like a period correct original stream. You have come a long way with this boat and we are very proud and glad that you are a member of the HydroStream Owners Group. You are a class act and I hope to be boating with you for a long time.

Mark
    In reference to the Hydrostream Power Tour:

Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    This is seriously one of the best threads on this site ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sorry I offended so many I was just fooling around with the sarge here. didn't mean any harm. it was supposed to be funny and get deleted anyway. so I did and sent sarge an oppoligy Look I can't even spell.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE View Post
    sorry I offended so many I was just fooling around with the sarge here. didn't mean any harm. it was supposed to be funny and get deleted anyway. so I did and sent sarge an oppoligy Look I can't even spell.
    You can't spell anyway

Boat looks great, BUT, the cowl is still ugly!!

Jeff, get yourself some seat time, then we all need to get together and tear up somebody's lake
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your boat looks very nice Jeff. Wise decision to keep the original interior, not many of these left. I have a twin to yours in blue flake...mine is a 76. Though I love my inline 150 ss, an older V6 is what mine needs too (I'm just too used to the punch and top end of a V6, and the inline is just slow comparatively). What would be a cool setup and period correct would be an older 2-liter or 2.4 with carbs or old downdraft EFI, with a TIIX/1750XS centersection, with 1500XS gearcase. Guys did this back in the day...and it made for a great combo. Getting myself all revved up about it!

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hey john I just happen to have most of that stuff you like. with little love and $ would be really cool

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I know this thread has gotten severely derailed along the way during the months between progress so in an effort to try and tie it all together, I'll attempt to reestablish a timeline with all the photos and documentation I've collected post-recore. I know I can't hold a candle to some of you guys concerning ability, determination, and sheer talent but hopefully this mess can serve to benefit someone at some point once I get everything back on track. Without S&F, I would most likely have never met quite a few guys I now consider my good friends. And conversely, you guys wouldn't have had to listen to me ask some really stupid questions and ramble on about some horrible ideas for the better part of two years. So....the list.....not necessarily in order of importance (except Ronnie...I put you there intentionally ).....

1. Ron (older brother) - What can I say about this guy? He's the one that sold me the boat that started this whole mess. He's the one that felt bad enough when we realized it needed a recore that he gave me a chunk of cash back to fund the project. He's the one that constantly harassed me about not turning this project into an endless $$ pit. He's also the one that was convinced a V6 on a Viper would get me hurt (until he rode in it last weekend at which point he said, "this thing could use another 50 HP"). I love it when the older, "wiser" sibling admits he's wrong.

2. Randy (Rock) - I could fill up this whole thread with stuff this guy has done for me since this project started. I wouldn't have 1/2 the boat I have (actually I WOULD have 1/2 a boat) without his help, fabrication, parts scrounging ability, and advice. He saved me time and countless dollars by talking me out of silly ideas along the way. I owe ya buddy!

3. Lynn Mack Jr.(Capt. Insane-O) - While I had the determination, I realized that I didn't want to learn how NOT to core a boat with an original gel piece like this one. After harassing Lynn for quite some time, he agreed to lay the new core in. The most important thing for me was to find someone to do the work that not only had the capability, but felt the same way I did about our beloved Hydrostreams. Lynn did a great job and even 6 months later after bringing it home, I still kept finding little things he did that I had missed previously e.g.(reinforcement in the beaching area of the bow). I hope to get down to Jasper this year so you can see your work in the water! (Even if you can't find the van!)

4. Brian Carhart (hydrostreamvking4m) - Brian, not knowing me from adam, offered me a ride at the 1st 2010 Hydrostream Power Tour stop in Lake Koshkonong, WI knowing my boat still wasn't done. He also offered to finish up the interior glass work just to get me on the water asap (knowing my time constraints and limited ability). Brian glassed in the seatbox, front bulkhead and airbox, hotfoot shelf, battery tray, fuel tank shelf, and transom knees and even did a top coat over it all in a matter of 4 days. He also gave big props to Lynn for his outstanding core work. Brian owns 2 Vking YT's and eats, sleeps, and breathes Hydrostreams and would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. I can't say enough about this guy. Thanks Brian!!

5. All of you guys on S@F - Pete (Transomstand), Jeff (Riverman), Bernie (oldskier), John (JWTjr.), Nick(njj502), and yes even RONNIE, and many others have contributed so much insight, opinion, and experience to this build, I couldn't have done it right the first time without all of you guys keeping me pointed in the right direction.

I'll try and fill in the blanks as time permits....but for now...its time to run it!! Thanks guys!!

Jeff
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well....

I'll be down in LI sometime later this summer or in early September. We can visit and discuss.

It will be good to see you.

JT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    He's also the one that was convinced a V6 on a Viper would get me hurt (until he rode in it last weekend at which point he said, "this thing could use another 50 HP")
    Ya really need to smack him
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWTjr. View Post
    well....

I'll be down in LI sometime later this summer or in early September. We can visit and discuss.

It will be good to see you.

JT
    come on down bring the boat with you and we'll have a look
    Last edited by RONNIE; 07-22-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    man I get thrown to the wolves and then put to the end of the line too geezz! I remember someone asking all sorts of stupid questions and even expected the answers to be bad and I'm still trown away. ohh well I'm over it.. wait mabey not. ohh now i'm over it that was ruff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey hey hey! I did'nt lose the van this year! That cowl looks awesome! Great find. That boat was easily one of the more difficult recores I've done. The skin coat lay up from the dash back, especially the stbd side was fricking horrible. I've never had to grind one that thin. Great to see that is back on the water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff, I would help (what did I really do anyway?) with anything ya need anytime. Glad to meet some more guys with outstanding talents during Jeff's rebuild.

Cheers to you all for some outstanding work and a sheer desire to restore an ole classic!!!!!!!!
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just think Jeff, the next one will be all downhill!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    and you could always add more hp!!
    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. –Aristotle

Quinten

86' Hydrostream Vking YT, 2.4 Bridgeport EFI
    (Rigging and interior in the works)
    88' Hydrostream Voyager, 2.4 200 Merc
    Boat of The Month Feb. 2009
    resto here, http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=144414
    Dedicated to you Dad, I miss you! 1935-2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'm going to wrap this thread up shortly with added build pictures and info to fill in the blanks as I said before but for now....tonights news....

Today was a good day gents....3rd time in the water since the rebuild Its a great feeling when all the work and time spent finally pays off and you have an opportunity to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Monday I took the boat for a run with a passenger and saw an ill-handling 75.7mph. I shifted weight around in the boat and saw no noticable improvement. I got home from work today, rechecked every nut and bolt and did some measuring and found I was 2-2 1/8" below the pad...(I knew I was low but didn't realize it was THAT low) so I raised it 2" today (motor in center holes...jackplate maxed out) which put the propshaft just a smidge under even with the pad @ 2.5" setback and went for a run....MAN...what a difference! Its a whole different animal now and muuuuuuuch easier to handle.

Everything I had learned up to this point about driving and the boats demeanor was out the window with the height change....complete night and day difference. 20lb toolbag + battery in the port rear balanced the boat perfectly with a little lean towards the center of the boat. 8 passes up and down river got me a pretty good feel for what the boat needed from me......so one final hard run netted my best # yet. I can't lie, I got a little uncomfortable near the end of the run and lifted...it was close to done but I still think it had 1 or 2 mph left in it. More setup and seat time will tell the tale I'm sure. I set out today with a goal, met it, and put it on the trailer.

I know that without this board and the great guys I have met along the way, I would never be where I am now and have nothing but gratitude for everyone that took the time to share their knowledge and advice.

14.5 x 26 DAH worked MACH chopper....coned 1.87 200 case....6350rpm @ 81.4mph. I imagine with another 50-75hp things would get really interesting. I know prop calculators leave alot to be desired but these #'s put me at 3% slip....I just don't see how that's remotely realistic??

Last edited by Sonik; 08-11-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: typos.....
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast