User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jeff, are you running 5" setback on your plate?
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    Jeff, are you running 5" setback on your plate?
    Nope......2.5 right now.....the boat was really unhappy below about 40 and even with the motor tucked it still wanted to hop a bit at slow/med speeds....as was to be expected. But I'm sure with 120lbs of fuel and battery in the rear, a cooler, and a passenger were all contributing factors to that.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    Pete, I refer you to exhibit A...... I ran out of time before the run to pull the powerhead and get it on.....

This looks nasty.Dont put it on the boat.Bring it to my house!

Realy the look is cool.I think this is the coolest hood merc ever made..Now ya need a mod vp powerhead and i know a guy selling one for like 3500.00. No not mind...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    You're killin' me Q!!! I know In the beginning I tried to document as much of this as I could but as time stretched on I spent more time trying to get it done and less time talking about it so as far as a start to finish thread I didn't really do a very good job keeping with a timeline, pictures, or descriptions of what I was doing. I'll most likely edit some provious posts a bit with some more pics to fill in pieces later.

This weekend the boat hit the water for the first time with an apprehensive foot. It still needs dialed in but for the first time out, it ran really well and was MUCH easier to drive with a passenger....so much for thinking I had it close to balanced. The water was a little snotty in the afternoon and combined with my limited seat time I took it relatively easy......but the few short blasts I made with 2 in the boat saw 6100 with a 26 and it was still pulling. So overall it was a good weekend. More to come...
    Thats great news Jeff! I'm glad to hear it. Mines ready to go and I was'nt out this weekend. I wonder what my excuse is?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    and you could always add more hp!!
    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. –Aristotle

Quinten

86' Hydrostream Vking YT, 2.4 Bridgeport EFI
    (Rigging and interior in the works)
    88' Hydrostream Voyager, 2.4 200 Merc
    Boat of The Month Feb. 2009
    resto here, http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=144414
    Dedicated to you Dad, I miss you! 1935-2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the time I spent working on that thing and riding in a truck from here to there ya think I'd get a call for a ride.......BUT NOOOOOO I didn't get jack. What a punk!! Just kiddin Jeff, Lookin good and can't wait to get a ride.
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njj502 View Post
    All the time I spent working on that thing and riding in a truck from here to there ya think I'd get a call for a ride.......BUT NOOOOOO I didn't get jack. What a punk!!

He sucks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They ALL do it, I read it here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE View Post
    sounds like another ill handleing viper with the jack plate installed the wrong way and the motor too low!!
    freaking long shafts are for fishing boats!!
    For some reason I bet it handles much better than the 25" V4 washin machine that used to be out back.
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE View Post
    sounds like another ill handleing viper with the jack plate installed the wrong way and the motor too low!!
    freaking long shafts are for fishing boats!!
    1. I said nothing about ill handling....only a little hop...which it had with the V4....in fact from 40-70ish with a passenger it was cake to drive.

2. If all I wanted to do was run top end all the time I might consider running it @ 5" but wanted to experiment.

3. My transom is 1.25 inches taller than yours was and figured 1.5 under was a good starting point.

4. Who says I don't plan on fishing off it??? I might even throw a trolling motor and swivel seat on the deck just in case.
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an old butt pad off the Allison you can use. Decent foot op troller too.
    Rock

BTW Rig looks good and your exhaust gaskets were here the whole time. Turns out we had a new UPS guy and he decided to put pakage in generater compartment and no delivery notice. Could of been in there for months.
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    EDIT : In light of several conversations and after much thought, I've decided to remove my previous post. We all come from different walks of life, carry ourselves, and interact differently. While I'm not one to get my panties in a wad easily, a chord was struck which was the original reason for my post. I hold no ill will towards anyone here and sometimes forget to take things for nothing more than what they are....words on an internet board. While I have always been one to wear my emotions on my sleeve and pretty much call it how I see it, in hindsight, I probably should have handled this somewhat differently. And before someone jumps to conclusions in assuming I am/was pressured by admins, my retraction was for no other reason than to finish my resto thread on a positive note. And as always, I appreciate the support and insight from my fellow board members here @ S&F.

Jeff
    Last edited by Sonik; 07-21-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: see above.....
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no dogs in any fights here.However i will say. And must say.That i am most proud of all the you have done with your viper.I dont think speed is needed for you with this hull, However being cool in a old Hydrostream Viper that you built for 2 long year and learned along the way. Its just that to why im proud of you.
    I dont fully understand this post and realy careless what it wright's out.

With all that said.Jeff hats off to you! I am so glad to have come to know you! And am proud to have been one of many that found it realy fun working with you on this hull...And thank you for waiting out for a Hydrostream Power Tour stop for its first run. Thats all i have to say about that!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Jeff and I, for one, agree. I have been around this project pretty much from the beginning and what you chose to do is indeed an exceptional accomplishment. You took a classic and turned into something that will be around for you and many to enjoy for many years to come. Your concern from the beginning was to truly restore the old Stream to original, or better, condition. Everything was done correctly and with a lot of thought and your end result is somehting to be proud of. There are very, very few people, on this board or anywhere else for that matter that would spend the time and/or money to do this project the way you did and at no point was speed a major priority, only correctness.
    Enjoy your ride and the many people you have met and had the opportunity to work with. Continue to take your time to get to know your boat and get the set-up where you want it and it feels comfortable to you. See ya soon.
    Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it's about time!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OBTW, just my taste, I LIKE the stock cowl....

when it's pushin 90, THEN put the race stuff on...or not.... I like sleepers.

I'd prolly sell the race cowl and buy a set of TRIM TABS! BWAH HAW HAW!
    OK, I got down off the porch and ran with the big dogs....kinda sore now....think I'll just lay here in the flowerbed for a while...

1976 Hydrodyne 18 I-O
    1969 Allison 15R, 1973 Merc 1500 (project)
    1995 Harris toon

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast