Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2009 E-Tec: 175 or 200?? About to pull the trigger

Hello all and thanks for an AMAZING website!! This is my first post.

I am the original owner of a PRISTINE 1985 Outrage 18. Boat was fully restored in 2004 and we have been running an '04 Yamaha 150 HPDI 2-stroke with a top-speed of 47 MPH on GPS.

The Yamaha has been 100% FLAWLESS from day one but.....well; you know how it goes....

Top speed is my main priority on this hull.

The 150, 175, and 200 E-Tecs all weigh the same 433 lbs, just a few pounds more than the current Yamaha 150 I have now. So I can't see the 200HP's 433lb weight being an issue.

The HO's come in 20-inch only so they are not an option

I saw a similar mid-80's Outrage 20 on a whaler site that was turning 60 MPH with an older Evinrude 200hp. My boat weighs about 700lbs LESS.

I am hoping for AT LEAST 60 MPH. If a 2,000 lb hull with an older Evinrude 200 is turning 60 MPH, I am confident my 1250-lb 18-footer will do better than 60+ with an E-TEC 200hp bolted-on the transom

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2009 25-inch 200hp E-TEC weighing 433 lbs.....

Questions:

Is the new grey version available now?

Do you think the 200 is a bad idea? Over-powered? (is there such a thing?)

Should I stick with the 175?

I am very interested in hearing your opinions on weight, speed, jack-plates(?), trim tabs(?), prop recommendations, etc.

I have 2 other classic whalers (1985 Montauk 17/1979 Sport 13) and 3 classic Donzis (16,18,22) also on the dock, but this boat is my pride and joy!! It needs to be FAST.

Thanking you all in advance!! I look forward to your comments, knowledge, and insight.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go 4 it

There nice-quiet-n 1 hell of a warrenty,they do perform good,u can get a v-60 or a v-90,i like the v-90 butperformance should b the same,n yes i think u can order a new 1 grey.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 200 HO with the 3.3L 90° block greatly out performs the smaller 60° 2.6L block. The torque difference alone is amazing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
    the 200 HO with the 3.3L 90° block greatly out performs the smaller 60° 2.6L block. The torque difference alone is amazing.
    thats exactly what i wanted to hear !!

Thanks!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just had a similar delima and went for the 90 degree 200ho for a twins setup. if you can it's the engine to get
    Eat less move more!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a well-respected whaler expert has told me this on another forum:

QUOTE:

"Thirdly, if you really want to go fast, you want to go BLACK. HP for HP, there isn't an E-tec made that will run with an Optimax or Merc EFI, or get better fuel economy. Merc makes a lightweight 2.5 liter 175 ProXS Optimax (close to a 200 HP engine) that will easily run with the small bore Evinrude 200, or better. They cost about $11,700. If you want a really strong 200, get the plain old vanilla 200 Opti, but it's a big 3.0 liter block and FAST, and lighter in weight than the big bore Evinrude HO's."

END OF QUOTE

comments? I would prefer the E-TEC, (havent had great experiences with MERC's) but in the end I want the MOST POWER AVAILABLE at this weight (stock engine: 400-450lbs)

thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He lied to you. A 200 H.O. will flat out smoke a merc opti 175XS. So will the small bore 2.6 200. The 175 will be close and on some boats the 150 H.O. will outrun the opti also.

A 3.3 200 H.O. will also outrun the 200 opti.

On lighter boats the merc opti 200XS (2.5 ltr.) will be a better choice but it isn't made anymore.

So, if you want the fastest motor for that particular boat then it is the Etec 200 H.O. But this motor is heavier than the small bore it weighs 505lbs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO---he was talking about the regular E TEC 200hp....NOT the 200 HO.....the 200 HO is too heavy for my boat at 510lbs plus I need a 25-inch shaft and Evinrude does not offer 25 inches in any of their HO models.....THATS the problem with the HO's

So you are saying that the 200 E-TEC will smoke a 175XS?

I need the fastest motor with a 25-inch shaft that weighs around 430 lbs or so.....what do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by neveredge View Post
    He lied to you. A 200 H.O. will flat out smoke a merc opti 175XS. So will the small bore 2.6 200. The 175 will be close and on some boats the 150 H.O. will outrun the opti also.

A 3.3 200 H.O. will also outrun the 200 opti.

On lighter boats the merc opti 200XS (2.5 ltr.) will be a better choice but it isn't made anymore.

So, if you want the fastest motor for that particular boat then it is the Etec 200 H.O. But this motor is heavier than the small bore it weighs 505lbs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The small bore Ho E-tecs only come in a 20inch shaft while the 3.3l comes with either a 20inch or 25inch. in your case its hard to say which would be faster the 200 e-tec small block or the 175xs merc my guess is that they would be very close. Merc xs' like the Ho rudes usually out out a lil more than the rated hp. the 200 e-tec non HO is said to be on the weaker side of 200. even still the plus side on this perticular merc model to the minus side on the rude should be close in hp numbers. Its up to you on what you want hung on your transon black or white. I dont know what marinas are in your area service quality is something to consider.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 175XS is only showing about a 2 mph difference in speed over a Rude 150 H.O. on the bass hulls they have been tested on.

So I would assume that the 200 small bore would have no problem utrunning the 175XS.

I also think that you can order the 200H.O. in 25" shaft.

If you are overpowering your hull anyway, why not opt for the 250H.O. or if you really want to fly hang a 300XS on it. Rude doesn't have an answer for the 300XS yet. It is the king of the hill right now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVEREDGE, I agree completly
    Last edited by Paramount 21 2007; 09-25-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a heavy enough boat that it should be able to handle the weight of the 200 HO. The extra torque will help with the weight. The Rude brochure lists a 25" 200 HO.

There is no 25" 175XS.

On a heavy boat, go for displacement. 3.3L is much bigger than the 2.5 of the 175XS or the small block Etec.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I am a rude guy, I'm going to stick my neck out here....the small block 200 will not outrun the 175 ProXs. Sorry, but that's fact. The 200 is a little on the weak side. Now the 200HO, totally different story...lol

Some engines perform better on certain hulls. On the Stratos boats (like mine), a Rude will almost always be faster than a Merc due to gearcase design. My 225HO runs faster than a 250XS or 250ProXS on the same hull. On a Triton, the Merc will almost always be faster....So there are more differences than just "This motor is faster"...all depends on hull, setup, gearcase selection, and prop selection.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good thread with not the usual ford chevy thing.

get as much hp as you can, you will always want more. Heavy hull, go with more displacement too )over the 2.5's). If you could hang a 300xs on there, it would take a plastic surgeon to remove the smile from your face. the 200H.O. from everything I have heard is an awesome motor, and BRP seems to be really taking care of their customers as well as making a good motor.

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks so much for weighing in everybody.!!

i would LOVE a 300 or 250 or even a 200 H.O......problem is anything past the 450-lb mark and my boat (hull weight btwn 1250-1500) is that its just too heavy.......plus I will be adding jack-plates and that adds another 40 (or so?) pounds.

This old-school whaler is no bass-boat, and definitely was not designed for anything that heavy. 500+lbs is just not in the cards on this hull.

of course now I am more confused than when I got here

looks like the rude 200 at the moment.......I dig the 175xs-- but if given the choice-- I would prolly take the rude.

i really appreciate you guys helping me out!!! keep em coming

who makes the best and lightest electric jack-plate??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast