Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes I have to agree that fuel & oil issues with low hour outboards are a problem but is is almost always setup related. A good fully accredited dealer who has the passionto do it right, is a must. We have put together a "must do" setup guide which together with following the factory installation guide "to the letter" will pretty well make all new purchasers very satisfied. Another really serious shortfall with many dealers is overpropping, that is not allowing the motor to reach its ideal or optimum RPM. Most spec sheets list an "operating range" for their motors. For instance a 175hp E-Tec "operating range is 4850 to 5850rpm. Most dealers read this as it being OK to prop this motor to run WOT at anything between 4850 to 5850rpm & will quote thes figures when told that the motor is running at say 5000rpm at WOT. Facts are that the ideal RPM or optimal RPM is 5500 to 5600. So what is happening here. The motor is Lugging its heart out not only of full throttle but all through the RPM range from the time it is put into gear through mid range to top speed. You end up drinking more fuel & oil, losing holeshot, reducing longevity of your motor, the list goes on. I amazed that all manufacturers don't make what I'm saying "crystal clear" to all their dealers. At least BRP have the ideal RPM's in print. Twins are the safest way to go I reckon.

Check out the link below.

http://forums.etecownersgroup.com/to...ost?id=2955934

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always carried 4 spare props, when out of sight of land. one with appropriate pitch for each rotation direction for single engine running and one for each rotation direction to cater for prop damage.

Ended up going for twin 250's...now just waiting on boat delivery so it can be setup.
    Eat less move more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2