Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A strange one

I've been meaning to post this for a while but here ya go. This 1750XS is the way it left Mercury (yeah I know all the Mercury gurus are gonna are say it isn't but it is). Hopefully it will be mounted of a period correct boat soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1750XS.jpg   1750XS2.jpg   1750XS3.jpg  
    Last edited by Chummy; 09-18-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mid and lower are from an Inline, never saw a production V6 like that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an inline mid with the factory race trim. What does the adaptor look like to mount it? I think Mercury did a lot of stuff that some people say didn't happen! The only other short mid they would have had in those years would have been the T2X mid that the 1750XS came with and it was a 12" mid. Your only other choice would have been a 20" mid. Pretty cool!
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see if I can get a picture of the adapter plate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A strange one..

I NEED one of those! I'll look forward to seeing what period correct vessel this goes on. Very neat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool motor
    22' Activator w/ 250xs Merc Opti, back home again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Brad, where is this motor?

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chummy View Post
    This 1750XS is the way it left Mercury (yeah I know all the Mercury gurus are gonna are say it isn't but it is
    What is the evidence? Can you post it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I do see strange on it, is the transom clamps have the T handles. I think those went away in about 75?
    2005 APR FORMULA 2 ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    Brad, where is this motor?
    Its at a shop of a friend of mine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by largecar91 View Post
    One thing I do see strange on it, is the transom clamps have the T handles. I think those went away in about 75?
    You would think it would have the 1500XS lower unit on it too. So would this motor be a 1975 or ?
    Mark N

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    It would be very easy to say I doubt it for several reasons.

I had a friend who's Dad ran Sarasota proving grounds in the '60's and they were all still pretty well connected in the early/mid 70's, so when we went to the races we'd get to see the stuff in the truck, etc, etc., and my main focus beginning in '75 was the new V6 stuff that was at the APBA Nationals in Miami that year.

When the '76 production 1750 came out (first chance the public had at the new V6 Mercs) I bought the first one my local dealer could get (same guys as above) and made a jig and whacked 5 inches out of it. I stopped by the Merc booth at the local boat show in Jan of '77 and was chattin' with the Merc guys. As a joke, I asked them why they didn't have one of the new shortshaft V6's displayed along with the 20" one that was there. The Merc guys said that Merc wasn't going to build a shortshaft version. I said, yeah they are, I've got one. He said you must have a T3. I said NOPE, 15" V6 and it's on a 15' Allison at my house. They all hooped and hollered and said I was BS'n em, so I bet em dinner and went home and got it. The way I cut the housing was right across the top of the bottom plate where the high perf mid has holes drilled, to the back of the lower mounts, up the back and across the top of the mount box. It was welded there, and ground and filled, and you couldn't see the seams. So it fooled the guys and they got on the phone and called somebody's boss at Merc in Wisconsin at home, and when he declared BS, and they told him they were lookin' at one.

Anyhow, I quit long ago sayin' "they didn't" on most anything, 'cause who knows what somebody did as a one off toy or experiment at company expense, but there're a couple of things I'd want to see to believe it's a Merc piece, and there seem to be contradictions in what the picture shows. I don't believe Merc ever used head studs on anything they did. Over the years I've heard a bunch of reasons that various people there thought they were a bad idea, although I've usually used em myself in my non-stock engines. Since the T3/1750XS race engine didn't have an air box or flywheel cover, it seems odd that that engine would have been equiped with em in spite of the fact that it appears to have an enrichening primer. I also can't figure why even a prototype engine would have T bolts on the transom brackets when NO '75 and newer inline had em, and I'm not even sure that they were used on the shortshaft '74 engines, especially after the change to louvered cowls and J blocks. It also seems strange that they'd fit it with a '75 or older model gearcase, and even stranger that they'd give it the same 1750XS marking and designation that the champ length race motor had. Definately some details that are hard to figure the "why" part of.

There're a couple of things that would make it hard to write off as somebody's backyard work though. The adapter plate would have to be AT LEAST as thick as the top plate on an inline to re-route the exhaust since it's WAY out of position with the stock lower. The picture seems to show that the lower plate has the Merc V6 bolt pattern, so there's obviously something between it and the powerhead inside the lower pan of the cowl. If it's a casting, rather than machined it would seem more likely that Merc did it. The other thing is the lower pan for the cowl. It's obvious from the picture that it has a belly in it, coming down below the upper plate. If that pan is in fact shaped that way, and it's plastic like they use in cowls still, rather than fiberglass, it'd be hard to think somebody pulled that off as a backyard project.

I'd sure like to see it firsthand. Y'all boyz ain't photo choppin us now iz you? I'd be willin' to bet that if it's real that it is 1 of 1 ever built.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unicorns

Raceman, drive over and see it. It's still in Georgia! C'mon, it'll only cost about, um let's see, $500.00 to go check it out in person..I'll help. I can solicit funds from the members, tell them what's going on, and I am SURE everyone would help out! No? Not such a great idea? Maybe we'll rest a while and think about it. Still an interesting excersise, regardless of it's provenance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I'd probably go look at it IF the owner is willing to show it and it's within reasonable driving distance, ESPECIALLY if it could be bought (assumin' it's authentic).

I'd also LOVE to hear the history.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting Merc V-6 Mod motor in the background of photo #1.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast