Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about blowing that STV over, you have to do something really bad for that boat to go over, not that it's heavy, just well setup!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by y2kstang View Post

Although I still agree with driver awareness being the most realistic method of blowover prevention.
    Ding, Ding, Ding..................we have a winner.

I was young and bashful back then.
    Today,...I'd just knock on her door,..hand her the crab dope, and say, "Rub summa this on ya booger. I'll be back day after tomorrow".
    -Bristo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea thats the truth u can rig a boat with all the safty stuff u want but really its all about the driver over pushing the boat and himselph and agree with sompthing that cuts out the power to prevent a blowover can also be undisired efect and turn ur flying boat in to a sub. the morle is.. spend time with ur boat in gusty situations and get a feel for it and what it wants to do in thows situation at lower speeds and then start bringing up ur speeds and see how the the boat reacts untill u fell completly cunfertable with it and what it will do in big or small wind gust and wave situations even a smaller dux dingy has thes reactons too and it took me a cuple times figureing out its pirsonality in less then ideal wether

you dont instantly have big balls u haft to grow them!
    Last edited by aguywithabucket; 07-09-2009 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can attest to the fact that the STV is an extremely stable, forgiving. and flat running boat. I had a '91 STV Pro-Comp and out of all the performance boats I have ever had it was by far, I repeat, by far the most stable and had that "stuck to the water" feel I have ever had. It really inspired my trust in that hull where as many of my previous & post boats have not. Much more squirrelly than that STV. Some things are just designed right out of either luck, skill, or both and this is one of those hulls. I did eventually "stuff" my STV and destroyed the boat and just about myself as well. However, that had nothing to do with the boat itself. It had to do with my stupidity, speed, and most importantly my excessive alcohol intake. I currently own an '02 Canadian Hydrostream Vegas XT and while it is a fast boat, it certainly is no STV. I will eventually put another STV back in my stable. That thing was amazing. No need for a jackplate and I barely had to play with the trim either. I had friends with other boats with similar HP and they screwed around for a long time with set-up, added HP, props, etc and never could match what that STV hull could do. With speed comes danger, I pushed it too far and experienced how hard a hull like that can bite once things go wrong. I still have pieces of the hull hanging in my garage to remind me of this...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My STV is very flat running as well. It is the Mod VP. Funny thing about it is the stern lift I get when it packs air feels spooky. It almost feels like the sponsons are going to go submarine on me and that is with about 3-4 degrees of trim. Hard to bring myself to trim it down when it does it but it definitely performs better when I do.
    1996 Summerford Mod VP
    Merc 260 Drag 15" Mid
    Stock 200 lower with LWP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all this talk about stv's and how well they handle just makes me want one even more! funny how the wife dusent thow lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aguywithabucket View Post
    all this talk about stv's and how well they handle just makes me want one even more! funny how the wife dusent thow lol
    Two words for that arguement "Euro Ski" of course that must be followed by "Honey, it is a skit boat, think of the fun we can have skiing and hydro-sliding around the lake" Of course you know that means with her you put in a throttle stop and never exceed 50mph. But when she isn't in the boat throttle stop removed and the fun begins. The throttle stop is for the utter lack of self control I have often been seen to have in the past. Something about the wife screaming in terror is just funny too me but the beating that ensues after said event of terror is....... welll....... not so funny. To be only 4'11" and 100lbs she sure can punch like Mike Tyson.
    1996 Summerford Mod VP
    Merc 260 Drag 15" Mid
    Stock 200 lower with LWP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got off the water with my Vegas XT. Again, it's nice boat but certainly no STV.

Robb

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rpm racing

Intresting post. My stv sponson walks when i get out of the throttle. But with the power down it feels great, on a string nice set flat running additude.@ 8000 rpm 14.5X26 BBlades et 3 blade sportmaster 1:87 gears. Maybe a little more trim? Settle down better? it is a 2000 EURO i know this is not the big mph ###s but what u think.
    JJ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sounds pretty normal to me. The STV is a very well balanced boat as designed and built. At high speeds, any "change" to the operating conditions - including just backing out of throttle a bit - will slightly disturb the dynamic balance, and require a bit of compensation to return to stability.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimboat

Ok thanks.
    JJ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air entrapment hull + to much trim button = BAD DAY !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I can attest to the fact that the STV is an extremely stable, forgiving. and flat running boat. No need for a jackplate and I barely had to play with the trim either"

You hit it right on the head. Zero - 110, 115 MPH (with a little 260hp), barely 3-4 degrees of trim change. Not sure why some guys run the jack plates. Maybe they want another couple MPH out of her but its way more stress on the transom. No need to mess with it for most of us, keep it simple. Enough other stuff to worry about at those speeds. It has to be the easiest boat to drive at speed. More stable that my Mirage was. Guys if you have not driven one, I highly suggest it. Bang for the buck? cant be beat IMHO.
    Last edited by F14; 02-03-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gearcase View Post
    Intresting post. My stv sponson walks when i get out of the throttle. But with the power down it feels great, on a string nice set flat running additude.@ 8000 rpm 14.5X26 BBlades et 3 blade sportmaster 1:87 gears. Maybe a little more trim? Settle down better? it is a 2000 EURO i know this is not the big mph ###s but what u think.
    What motor you running? What speeds are you seeing? That 26 seems a bit light for any big speed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    F14, is that Wakkers old boat...came out of the Parker, AZ Moovalya keys?

And I run a jack plate for a few reasons:
    - to trim the motor way up at the sandbar
    - adjustment for playing with top speed vs carrying weight (4 people + cooler vs. just me)
    - setback adds bowlift
    - setback adds clearance to air deflector
    Keith-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast