Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to take care of possible water in gas for a 2 stroke?

Can a dry gas additive be used to treat possible water in the gas on a two stroke?

I have a new large canister type water separator between the tank and fuel pump already, but think I may be getting water in the fuel to the engine still. Any ideas to treat it short of draining a 25 gal tank?
    Boatless as of right now

I don't suffer from insanity - I'm enjoying every minute of it!

My wife says I'm obsessing over this boat thing, but I tell her EVERY day after I'm on this website for hours - I'm NOT OBSESSING!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if it was mine i'd empty the tank that way you know it is out of there and it doesn't ruin your engine.you can always use it in your lawn mower.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt take the risk, pump that junk fuel into your pick up truck and get new fuel for the boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pull the fuel sender and take a copper tube with some fuel hose and a primer bulb jack the nose of the boat way up, all the water will goto the back corner of the tank put the tube down to the back corner of the tank (where all the water is) and pump it out till you get clean fuel.

I use the copper tube through the sender hole since the fuel pickup on most tanks is 1/2- 1 in off the bottom so it is the only way to get all the water out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm24tx View Post
    pull the fuel sender and take a copper tube with some fuel hose and a primer bulb jack the nose of the boat way up, all the water will goto the back corner of the tank put the tube down to the back corner of the tank (where all the water is) and pump it out till you get clean fuel.

I use the copper tube through the sender hole since the fuel pickup on most tanks is 1/2- 1 in off the bottom so it is the only way to get all the water out.

This is the best way in my opinion also.

Lee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never heard of this but I like the idea.

Alternatively, not sure what you have in your area, but down here there are a few companies that will come to you and treat your fuel. They have huge racor fuel filters and a big pump, put a hose in the tank and a returnline. They suck your old fuel out, run it through the filters, and return good clean gas with no water, removesany algae that might build up due to the water and other crap too.

I have done this a few times with my center console and it works great. Might check the yellow pages or ask some marinas if they know anyone in the area that does it.

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mattm has it

Gasoline is lighter than water, so it floats on top. Pump it into a glass jar, or one of those perfectly clear 1 gallon bottled water jugs--you can see that water on the bottom of the jug. When the level of water stops rising, you've got it. Been dong this since I was 6. Sorry I have to, but......

When you crank the nose up, let the fuel settle down for a while before you pump.

And, depending on how much water you want in your new water separator, and how long the lines are, think about whether you have to backflush the line from the tank to the separator.

I am just setting up to do this for the second time in three years on my Eliminator--fuel tank flip tops are only about 3" above the water at idle and apparently aren't sealing--rusted the inside of my pump even though it is after the separator.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it! I like it! Sounds like a great idea and should work perfect!

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Boatless as of right now

I don't suffer from insanity - I'm enjoying every minute of it!

My wife says I'm obsessing over this boat thing, but I tell her EVERY day after I'm on this website for hours - I'm NOT OBSESSING!