Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 140 hard to start

I got some of the kinks out of the motor. But today i had a real hard time starting it. Which usually it fires up right away. I tried starting it for about five min and gave up when i saw all the fuel on top of the water. Waited about 10 min and tried starting it again without choke and it fired right up. Flooded yea, but even when i shut it off after driving it awhile and try to start it five or ten min later its very hard to start again. Usually if i run it once and go out again that same day it would fire right up without choke. And now its a pain every time. And last week it was a little harder to start then normal and when it did start it smoked like crazy for a sec but thats the only time its done that. The only things i did before i took it out today was changed the plugs and changed prop. Also if i crank it for awhile it will stop itself from cranking and it will sound like something is winding down. Any sugg.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the needles and seats then the float levels.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have excess fuel/oil collecting at the bottom of the airbox. This will get sucked into the lower cylinder and may make for hard starting, smoking. Leaky carbs will cause this. Pull the airbox cover off before you start it next time and see what is there. Forkin's suggestion to look at the carbs should resolve this potential problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you do get it running consistently, don't use fuel with ethanol in it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the winding down sound is because your batteries going dead

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for everyones advice. Im going to check it out tommorrow. I do see a pretty good amount of fuel always sitting under the carbs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had a 77 140... don't tell anyone i had a white motor!!!LOL
    what trim angle is the motor when you are cranking it????

the fuel laying in the bottom of the air box will run right it those bottom carbs when it is trimmed down..

you could have weak a power pack too.. check spark when cranking it over when it won't start..
    93 xr 2001 drag with a 15" drag
    92 xb 2002 comp with a 15" drag
    R.I.P. Phil "rpm racing" Watch over the rest of us my friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually i have it trimmed all the way down. Also i want to run it on the muffs but it has the bottom water pickups what can i use to temp seal up the pickups. Also with a 17 pitch im only getting about 40-43 mph trimmed all the way down at 5500 rpms and with my 23 pitch i get about 55-60 at about 5000 rpms using alittle trim on a 75' 16ft switzer super hugger then it starts getting out of control. What would be the best pitch to get somewhat good mph but still be able to pull a skier without putting to much load on the motor,a 19pitch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had my 140 on a 17' norris craft bass boat.... it would run 63 mph at 6200..
    i ran the old sst prop.. i had it tweaked a little.. i think it was a 22p not sure though could have been a 23p... i did some carb work to it.. some head work.. i only blew it up 3 times LOL...... don't spin it over 6000 rpm's!!!!!!! in 1977 that was the first year for the 140hp.. it still had the small crankshaft in them.. in 78 they put the bigger crank in them... the crank is the same as the 135, and the 115.... i broke one straight through the counter weight... you could have put a straght edge on it!!!!!!

any way they are torq monsters for a 4 banger.. prop it right, and don't over spin it....
    make sure your steering is tight and maybe some solid motor mounts would help!!!!!

roy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had the some issue on my omc, its the rubber needles in the seats. some time by tapping the side got the carb it will free them up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its got more if i want it, i can push 6000 easy with the 17pitch, and 4500 with the 23 without trim but i would rather play it safe for now. It has mounts of a 235. I worked out some of the bugs like the hesitation when accelerating but it still stalls sometimes in N' and most all the time when i put it from N' back into gear. It has a hard time in the no wake zones. I just dont have the time. Hopefully i can look at this week.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white motors do not like idling in the trimmed down position. I've had a few V 6's and they would flood out if idled in the trimmed down position too long. (hard starting and hestitation due to fouled plugs) Also they will flood the carbs if you try to start them trimmed down, worse if you have another problem. Remjove the air box as suggested and trim the motor up some and see if a carb is flooding. This can be checked w/o the motor running and just pumping the primer bulb. If not you need to check your voltage at the power pack as it needs a full 11 volts or more to fire all the plugs when cranking over.. Weak batteries or a dragging starter will lower the voltage to the power pack. I think a yellow wire feeeds the volts to the pack during start up. hope this helps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldn't run the air box anyway!!!!!!!!!!!! make sure your rich enough on the big end, but it will run better getting more air...... just make sure it doesn't lean out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i remember those rubber neddle and seats!!!!! they suck!!!! they get a little ring around them, so they start leaking!!!!! alway run a great fuel filter too!!!!! those carbs don't like any dirt!!!!! they clog easy and will burn pistons!!!! done that too.. more than once

good luck
    Last edited by YELLOWSS; 08-18-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just changed the plugs last weekend any way your right if i trim up when idling and when in no wake it does seem to run better. Im pretty new to the boat scene and this might seem like a dumb ? but what do you mean by white motor. Do u mean the 77' 140 gold and white motor if so i have the 140s blue motor. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no!!!!! just a johnson being a white motor... not a black merc motor!!!!LOL

roy