Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy NOS 1999 225 ProMax won't start

Hi,<O</O
    <O</O

My name is Gary Maffei and I am a newbie to this board. I am also a member of the AOMCI (Antique Outboard Motor Club) as well. <O</O
    <O</O

I have an Eliminator 19' Daytona that has been a project of mine for a long time now. I purchased a new 1999 ProMax 225 for the boat and it has never seen water. I started it for the first time two years ago to see if it would run and it did and I ran it for a few minutes to circulate oil through it. I tried running it again last weekend and it wouldn't start. I had no spark which I learned was due to having the tether connection closed. I straightened out that and now am not getting fuel. Mercury sent me a 2002 service manual instead of the 1999 but the motors seem to be similar enough that I think I understand what might be wrong. I opened the drain to the VST and there is gas coming out. When I open the high pressure valve (Schrader Valve on top of the VST) there was no gas. When I turn on the key there was a thump thump thump sound coming from the VST. I disassembled the VST and removed the pump and connected it to a 12V DC power supply. The pump seemed to run fine. I connected it up to the motor and turned on the key and it seems to run fine there now too. I have not reassembled the VST yet as the O-ring is stretched and I need to order a new one. There was no sludge in the VST and I don't know what was up with the pump. Has anyone had problems with these pumps? Hopefully, when I get this together it will work unless the injectors are gummed up.<O</O
    <O</O

Gary Maffei<O</O

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I fixed a similar problem on a neighbor's bassboat, but it's been several years and my memory is foggy (as usual). It had some type of float system in the fuel reservoir that was plugged and not letting the fuel pump get a fuel supply. His had been sitting too. Your problem could very well be the same. I can't remember how the thing looked, but I didn't have a service manual and it was obvious to me when I took it apart, so I think it'd be easy to find. I actually diagnosed it at the time by taking the hoses off in series beginning with the input from the fuel tank and pumping the bulb (which his boat had) and finding where there was no longer any fuel squirting.

I think you're right about the O ring. From what I've heard, if you remove the top you're gonna have to replace the O Ring because they expand when gas hits em. I tried for an hour to get his back in before I called Halffast and he told me to buy one.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks... The float seems okay. That O-Ring sure is bigger. Where can I get it online?

Gary Maffei

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you have a bad fuel issue and may need to go through the system and at least replace your filter. That o-ring will swell but it is actually due to the ethenol in the fuel and not the fuel itself. Run the motor on a different tank and see how that works.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pistonpumper View Post
    Thanks... The float seems okay. That O-Ring sure is bigger. Where can I get it online?

Gary Maffei
    It wasn't the float itself that was an issue in the engine I was working on, but rather whatever the float controlled. I just can't remember it now. Maybe there's a needle or something tdown there??????

If you pump a bulb and start removing hoses starting with the inlet you can find a logical path through it and search for the blockage.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php