Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or maybe....... I dont need all new pistons? only one has the dings in the top.... Should I just be thinking rings and bearings? or do I even need to change all the bearings? Am I way off track with thinking I need to put all new parts?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you NEED to do is take out the one piston and replace the piston & rings. And the wrist pin bearing IF it's blued. You don't even have to take the power head off. It's about an hour job. Some pictures of the piston would help.

Ló fasz racing
    Joe Horvath

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you only got 1 bad piston, only replace the bad one. Like previously stated, you don't even have to remove the powerhead(one less gasket to buy). All you should need is 1 piston and a set of rings. One cylinder head gasket (you can re-use the old one but I tend to play it safe). and the two gaskets for the intake.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    All you NEED to do is take out the one piston and replace the piston & rings. And the wrist pin bearing IF it's blued. You don't even have to take the power head off. It's about an hour job. Some pictures of the piston would help.
    this is how phil does his rebuilds

kiddin.. ive done this numerous times and im on the way out to my friends boat to yank 2 pistons out o his naggers no big deal just go through the carbs so u dont stick it again

kevin
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds a lot easier and cheaper! Sounds like I should have done some posting on here before removing the powerhead huh!! Oh well, I have the gaskets.... Gives me a chance to clean things up a bit anyway. Still have to get the broken head bolts outl........ the shop said the ones with a 1/4" or so hanging out should be no major problem, but the one that snapped about flush could be a challenge. Will applying heat to the stud hurt the block? they havent started on it yet.... but dont want them to if they are risking damage to the block. its a reputable shop, but they do car engines not boats as a rule. anyway, Guys I certainly appreciate the advice! If I was to keep listening to the guys around here I would have spent a ton of cash on this project. Now I can get this fixed and still try to pick up the powerhead that is on ebay
    Oh by the way, the piston is not "blued" would have talen a picture tonight but of course when you need the camera the batteries are dead! from what I can see through the " backside" the rods are all golden colored and the pistons tops have some minor carbin build up, just a little flaking... but not to the point of some of the pics I have seen on here. Now my compression was on the low 90's on all cylinders but the one where the head gasket blew. Is that average for this motor? or should I consider a re-ring job on all the others? or just leave it alone and hope to win the auction.....LOL and have a spare when the time comes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    almost forgot to ask...... Is break in the same? Double oil? low rpm runs?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally re ring all 6 cylinders. Make sure the bore on the new piston has correct clearance. Hone all 6 and run it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, break-in should be the same. Double oil and very the revs for a few hours. the heat from the torch won't hurt anything as long as your tech knows what he's doing. For future reference: I use gsc(gasket sealing compound) on all my bolts to keep corrosion away from the threads. This way next time (and there will be a next time) the bolts will come out easier and you won't break em off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I guess I have a better "Plan" now..... I think the re-ring on all 6 is a good idea. I have it apart, and should be able to do the work fairly easily. knowing my luck if I just do the one, after getting it broken in another would fail! So where do you guts get parts? We dont have much around here as far as parts dealers. they all can order it for me, and I have to wait and pay a premium so they can make the money that they wont make doing the work! I think a lot of the places I have been on the web are more geared toward cheap kits! hehe , there has to be some places that sell quality parts at a fair price, and most of all have stuff in stock.
    Last edited by 93hydrasport; 08-06-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Sam Jenkins at his shop. 904.730.3332. He is a supporting vendor here (jenksam) and can get you whatever you need.

Ló fasz racing
    Joe Horvath

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess who just got a new powerhead??? LOL won the auction Instigator had on ebay today....So once I get it here and ready to roll I can start tinkering with the old PH. Cant wait! going to see just what I can do to geat a little more out of it. Thanks to all of the stuff I have read here I think I have found a new hobby! Looking for a set of 2.7 heads and going to bid on Instigators 225 carbs, so what next? Dont know much about porting or grinding.....but am willing to listen and see what I can learn, maybe someone could do some block work??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about parts

I;m a pro marine dealer if you need some parts let me know what all you need and I can help you out on the price not tring to steal noones parts sell just tring to help if I can

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    tell gator to open it up to 250 spec before he sends it to you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, its too late for that. It was put on a truck this afternoon........ Guess I should have written in before I made shipping plans. oh well, I still have the other powerhead to play with!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    there ya go make that one a badd ass motor and leave the other one incase u pop it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast