Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a Berkeley 12-JF Pump Style OK?

I have an opportunity to buy a boat that has the F style rigging, with the cleanout port outside the hull and the jet-o-vator, steering and reverse cables all coming out at the bottom right side of the transom. Is this rig good? bad? ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This setup is great! it sets the pump and motor farther back makes the running surface of the boat less! check and see if its got a ride plate. it makes ride surface futher back. I have the ledgend set back pump and it seems better especially with the ride plate. and I dont have a place diverter yet. my boat is a 21' cheetah mini-day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a 78' Glastron-Carlson CVX 20 w BBF (not running), and Berk. pump, and it is set up exactly as just mentioned, ride plate controls on the Starboard side, has reverse drop down thing and a skeg, a site hole throgh the top of the pump, but I'm told it has no trim and I'm not eqipped to make a huge rooster tail, but tell me what that part is called so I can get one to spray the beach at the NW rally.

What is a jet o vator?
    What is a place diverter?
    How do I know what model pump this is?

Thanks
    Evan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its called a Place Diverter. Depending on the pump, some may even take a wedge that will further boost the hight of your rooster tail! I buy my pump parts @ GT boats in cordielia, calif. Dave there has the most exp. in this area... congrats on the boat!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jet o vater is made by berkeley! and was a factory option, I have never seen a manual unit. dont know if there is one! place diverters are manual or hydrolic. they also have tunable nozzles. the best! there was another company called the bushwacker, dont know if their still around!
    look up the place diverter on line. You can also see jetboats in action on youtube.com check out kenji1 run at taco tuesdays!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Dregsz,
    To answer your questions:
    Jetovator was Berkeley's name for trim control option (I think...)
    Place Diverter is another brand of trim control - sort of aftermarket for Berkeley and other makes of pump. To me, it always sounds like a generic name as if there was something on the pump called a "place" and we were trying to "divert" it. But actually it is a dude's last name.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard a rumor that this model had trouble with leaks where all the cables come through the transom. Seeing as how they are all usually below water line - have you had any trouble?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought it and got it home today but noticed there is A LOT of 5200 piled up around the cables and drive.
    I'll be making sure the bilge pump works good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Place makes the best diverter and that drop down section you mentioned is called a {droop snoot}.That helps lower your exit point to the diverter again freeing the hull more. Some are tapered to allow higher pressure for more speed an over sized bowl will also help create more pressure. American turbine has all the parts you'll need for freshing up a Berkley pump like seals bowls impellers,high performance grates etc.. theres a new type of seal thats supost to stop the leaky point at the transon if I remember corectly also from AT. Place makes a FNR diverter that has enterchangable sleeves that change the exit orface size from smaller for more top end to larger for better holeshot hydrolic units. They sure have come a long way in making pumps more effitiant! I love the acceleration of a jet boat a buddy races in the world jet boat river races and goes about 100mph in his!! What a rush. They have a long tappered snoot that some call a stove pipe from a very large oversized bowl. Cant control the roost but sure makes for inpressive top speeds!
    Last edited by whipper; 07-21-2008 at 04:15 AM.