Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'77 Glastron Carlson - rebuild transom & floor

Appreciate comments on a project I am considering. Have a chance to get a '77 Glastron Carlson 16' with Johnson 115. Boat has been in the family since '79 and hasn't seen much use the last 10 years or so. I'm a fish boat guy but thought it would be a fun project and good for skiing. The boat is in good shape cosmetically, but there are some soft spots in the floor. I put a new battery in the other day and punched through the floor glass in the bilge area. I am guessing the wood floor is completely gone in this area. Thumping around on the transom doesn't sound good either. Doesn't seem to be a lot of flex when pushing/pulling on the engine, but I am guessing it is shot. One of the engine bolts was loose, there is a crack in the top of the transom, and its old.....the transom has never been replaced.

Question....done some glass work but never a project of this size. I am assuming a bunch of labor and $1,000 or so in materials. Also assume if I paid someone to do the work, I'd have $3,000 or so in cost. Sound about right?

I did fire up the engine with muffs on, but I think the impeller is gone. Saw little bits of the impeller around the foot and the engine got hot really fast. The boat was used several times last year so I thought the impeller would be fine, but I think it's gone. I did check the compression after the engine was hot and got the following:

port upper 138, port lower 120
    starbd upper 131, starbd lower 125

Seems like I've read the lower port cylinder is the first one to go on these motors. This engine has been a tank and has never really had any work done to it except some routine maintenance. It is difficult to get started and keep at idle. Aside from the pump, I am guessing some carb work and plugs. Didn't want to put a lot in it, just want it to run decent.

Appreciate any comments.....do it, walk or run away? This sounds like a ton of work but hate to see it go without exploring the options.

Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a CV or a CVX?

Pretty sure that boat has a "shoebox" deck, should be fairly easy to pop the deck off to change the transom.

Don't run the motor any more until the impeller is changed!! Drop the gearcase (don't forget the shift rod screw under the lower carb) and put a water pump kit in it, very easy. Advertise in the wanted section for a factory manual for that motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if your going to do it BUY all the materials first..to many people including myself start these but never seem to get them done because we needed this or that and it gets pushed to the side....at least if you have everything first once you start you can get it done before the mood or something else changes.......

as far as the motor get the manual take off the carbs for a good cleaning change the water pump and gear lube then run it........
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    I'd slam my d*** in a car door before I'd comment on this thread.
    This almost beats cheesey!!!