I am looking at buying a 1976 Sleekcraft Kuaui 19' jet boat that has an Olds 455 (out of the boat and needing a rebuild). I would rather just put in a regular GM big block, since I just read about some issues with the olds motor. Where would I go about finding a crate motor for a resonable price? Do I need to get a 'marine' one, or would I be able to get a regular autmotive motor?

It has a Jacuzzi pump, and I have no idea what kind of condition it is in (I haven't been to see the boat yet). From what I have already read on here, I will probably just replace it with one already built with the energizer kit.

From what I can tell in the pics, the hull will need to be refinished; what's the best way to do that? Can it be painted (with the proper primer of course), or would re-gelcoating it be better? If I went the gelcoat direction, how hard would it be to do myself? I do have some experience working with fiberglass, and painting cars, so I feel comfortable taking on the prep work, but I'm not sure about the gelcoat process.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd really like to get the boat and I need to have an educated guess as to what kind of money pit it will be before my girlfriend will give the OK to buy it.

Thanks!!

p.s. in case you can't tell, I'm totally new to the jet boat scene.
<!-- / message -->