Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry 455 help

ive had boats before ive never owned anything with a 455 olds.i have a 21ft jet boat with a 455.i just installed a aluminum intake and carb not saying what the names the parts are.or where i got the parts ,not pointing fingers what i need help with is timing i was told rev the engine to 3k rpm and set the timing to 36 degrees advanced then set idle.the engine is stock no go fast parts,hei ignition.ngk spark plugs b7s. i was told to set at 0.35.my boat shakes,at idle,hard to start and sounds ok but not running on all 8 plugs i checked spark i have spark all 8 cylinder and have the corect firing order on the wires.im not a dumb redneck i know how to work on boats,cars but this olds is a headache.im running no thermostate and harding marine logs and snails.any help or advice would be greatly apreciated.im ready to sell this boat fast to get away from it. never buy another jet boat.ill go back to i/o
    when i orderd parts they told me set timing at 36degrees then gap plugs and set timing.and i couldnt get the engine running right so i called today.where i got the parts they called a stupid idiot.then they told me -i have to raise engine rpm to 3k then set timing.they never told me that in the first place.to set timing.and for me to take the boat to a boat shop for repair since i cant comprehend how to make it run.
    Last edited by moose5150; 06-20-2008 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try setting the timing about 8 deg idle then check it at 3000 to see what it is.If its not 36 then you may need to modify the dist, or be happy. I used to set my timimg like that when i had a locked out vacume advance dist now i got a mallory. It may not want that much advance with the gas today. remember an engine is an engine no matter who made it. By the way keep the rpm down and dont spin it fast for long or you will lose a rod bearing. the oil system needs modified to turn rpms. good luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yea ,check for vacume leaks. I have learned with my 68 Cutlass

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i doubled check everything i have only one vacum line to the hei distributor.i got a hei rebuild kit with coil.cap,rotor.ignition module and vacum advance thats adjustable.ill set the timing at 8 degrees at idle and go from there.the only thing i havent changed yet.is the plug wires thanks for the imfo.im not sure what cam i have my family says,sounds like a rv cam
    or similar cam.because the idles ruff.but it didnt idle ruff with the olds auto intake and quadrajet carb.i left the distributor where it was befor.removing intake and adding the aluminum intake.and tried to set timing and set idle
    Last edited by moose5150; 06-21-2008 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like the carb may need tweeked.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i thaught that too the company i got the intake and carb from.the carb was already bolted to the intake,they said carbs dialed in just adjust the idle im thinking the timings 180 out.im going to do tdc and set timing at number one and go from there it it doesnt work for sale shel be

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had a girlfriends car with the dist in 180 out and the roter on backwards, found it because it wouldnt advance. it was late so i put it together till tomorrow and it wouldnt run at all. Checked it again and noticed the square peg looked liked it was scraped up ,so i put it on backwards again and it worked. Fixed it the next night. You need to run felprow-mr gasket type gackets too not that mettel pan that is stock. Just checking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im done im going to get rid of the boat cheap and quick ill never own a jet boat ever again.i tried to run the boat today it starts and idles but i have no throttle if.i throttle up it spits sputters and blows flames out the carb wich was a new carb acouple days ago.blew the air cleaner right off the carb at the dock.im taking the boat to a boat yard tomarrow monday and watch em take a chainsaw to the boat .to make me feal better im cutting my loses.im going to go look for a inboard/outboard boat.somthing easier to work on.i tried to set the timing acouple times.i tried tdc and reinstalling the distributor and i had a.friend try to set the timing we cant get it to run right.and i got a new problem.when i put gas in the boat yesterday both tanks full.165 bucks anyhow,when im towing when i first take off or stop the boats fuel tanks are puking fuel outa both side vents, all over the ground trailer and boat.ive never seen a boat do this.it was still puking fuel today while towing it,and i siphoned 5 gals outa both tanks last night and its still puking fuel.
    thanks for all the input and advice.moose
    Last edited by moose5150; 06-22-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you in cali? Im a service tech here in the delta! Bethel Island if your close I may be able to help! I'll watch for a response! marceldawson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    walnut grove,area
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG2527.JPG  
    Last edited by moose5150; 07-04-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up 455 olds

moose, you can get that 455 running right, first get that god-forsaken hei off of it, find a normal point style dist. or a mallory. sounds like that the ignition curve is way off. you being in calif. instead of wisconsin, you should be able to find a good guy to help you with this instead of cutting it up!! good luck triple j

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got the chainsaw ready haha.my first and last jet boat yeah youre the second person to tell me get rid of the hei.id like to get it running right now and sell it fast to get away from it,i dont want to invest alot more money and have the boat still run like it is now.ill never own a jet boat again ill go back to outboard engines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surrender.gif  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I've struggled with some OLDS issues also in a '67 442 I'm doing with a hot rod 455 in it. I found this forum: http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/index.php (it's called RealOldsPower.com)

There's a wealth of knowledge there. I found a guy, Terry who calls himself FDR Performance and he put me on the right track. I'd give those guys a shot at some suggestions before you give up on it.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got the boat running decent enuff today to sell.3,900 rpm at wot, starts runs and floats.now ill sell it to get away from it quick thanks for all the advice and help.

new electric fuel pump,new spark plug wires,new fuel lines.from the fuel tank selector to the carb,set the timing at 9 degrees at idle.
    Last edited by moose5150; 07-05-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very sad that you want to get away from it When right they are such fun powerplants in cars and boats. Its just a 455 olds. And HEI isnt evil. And points are not the cure all for everything. Most people forget there is the mechanical advance under the rotor as well as the vacuum.

i can understand your frustration, i have felt the same way in trying to locate useable 455 parts. I have threatened it verbally with dismemberment (selling off the pump and trailer and all my 455 parts) on numerous occassions but i can not bring myself to do it. Kinda like the guys that mess with old brit bikes, no matter how many times you end up pushing it home, how many times it blows up, burns you, bursts into flames, throws you off for no really understandable reason, falls over and bends or breaks some brand new bit of kit straight from the UK or just simply wont start. You can never pry your heart away from it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast