Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

needing some help

I just picked up a 1975 Schuster Tahiti 18 foot. Not really sure what model it is, it looks like a Torino or a Sidewinder with the windsheild. Well I bought it in a basketcase form sort of, brought it home and thought the floor was way to soft, so ripped it apart and did it right this time, even added a+b marine foam under the new floor. The boat has an Olds 455 with Harbin marine stuff on it. The problem I have is that none of the water hoses are on the engine. I found one that has a tee in it going to the feed line off the berk jet, looks like a garden hose can screw on. The guy really did not tell me much, said something about opening this valve up all the way if the water is hot outside and keeping it more closed when the is cooled, is there any truth to this, is there a way so it does it itself with no manual help. Also there is no thermostat in this engine, should there be? I would like to see pictures of how the water lines are hooked up and ran. Thanks for any help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the standard cooling diagram for your boat.

The hose connection goes right after the hand valve. I recommend a thermostat. It's important to get the engine warm enough to get rid of condensation in the crankcase. I also recommend a relief valve to control water pressure in the motor. The jet pump can produce up to 300 psi. Trying to control it with a hand valve has lead to water in the oil for lots of folks.

My thermostat set-up

You can get the water valve here.....

http://www.hi-techperformance.com/im...t_DCP_0726.jpg

Good Luck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help. need to inspect mine and see if that is the set up I have. I cant wait to get this puppy going!