Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up 3M Imperial Compounding and Finishing

Went into West Marine to get some of 3M's Restorer and Wax like they've had for years. Figured I'd try a rubbing compound before getting risky with wet sanding since the gel on this boat is pretty thin in some spots. The guy in the store said, "Don't even waste your time, try this. It's more money but one of the local dealers is buying it by the case. You won't believe it."

Took some pictures partway through the job to show what the boat was starting to look like right next to what it now looks like. Better than the day I bought it 10 years ago. Well worth the $45. The salesman said it would last 3-4 years. I'm thinking it should last longer since I keep it in the garage and don't drag a cover on and off of it all the time. So far I've just put spray-on Turtle Wax on it since he recommended against rubbing dried wax off because the dust actually creates scratches? Never had that problem...going to see how the spray on stuff works but might eventually put a good coat of Black Magic liquid wax on it to get a good coating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0151.1.JPG   100_0152.1.JPG  
    Ron V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how did you apply this? how course is it? i am using the superduty compound right now and then some lighter stuff after. one step would be great.
    Boatless at the moment. Looking for a 24-25' V

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Application

Not sure on how coarse it is, but there is a blurb about it on 3M's website. Bottle says it removes P600-P800 dual action or P1000-P1200 sand scratches. I applied it by hand at first and it looked good but took a lot of effort and I could tell it wasn't getting deep enough, so I borrowed my dad's buffer with a 100% lamb's wool pad. You use medium pressure at first and then lighten it up and let it finish. It stays gritty for awhile and then suddenly liquifies and burns off into a haze. I stopped with the buffer after it got to a thin haze and then just buffed it off with an old sock. One of the things I liked about it is that it is advertised to be a swirl-free compound and it lived up to it. Have not found any evidence of swirl marks and I've looked at it at numerous angles in various lights.
    Ron V