Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

overheated volvo

I dont know if this is the right place for this thread, but i need a little help.

Ive got a 22 foot larson ski boat with a volvo penta 5.oL. this winter i had someone winterize it and change fluids. they left the cap off of the end of a water tube that is located on the left side of the engine. Ran for a while before i looked at engine temp and man was she hott. Water was filling up my hull rather than cooling the engine.

as i noticed the temp gauge and started to shut motor down it stalled and died. I let motor cool for a long time. I plugged the hose, and started motor. It ran ok for about a min or two, so i decided to take a little circle around the marina to get a feel for things. temp gauge was ok, but oil pressure was extremely high. (as it was not that high all day before I overheated the motor).

pulled boat into slip and she died, and did not start back.

OK, there is also some more information i should tell you. When I noticed that the temp was high and shut the motor down, a storm blew into the lake. I could not start motor to avoid the storm and encountered some 3 ft or more swells. It was a really bad on the lake. Having water in the hull and bouncing around might have got water into the fuel.

It wont start, but cranks over. Which could be water in fuel. Could be something else. but why after i overheated the engine that the oil pressure went so high. All symptoms does not = a rational problem.

any feedback is welcome.

thanks
    Last edited by river_ratj40; 05-27-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: wrong title
    You're a daisy if you do!