Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smartcraft help wanted..

I have an GPS anntena how should i connect it to mine speedometer?
    or any sugestion on plug and play gps antenna..?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what you need is a gps not an antenna. they can look alike. the SC need gps that send a 2 digit accuracy speed nmea sentence. so far i have only been able to use a garmin 45 and a mono garmin streetpolit. the gps needs to be set to nmea 2.0 out put.

i have tried garmin 12, 12+, 35 & 18 [used by the gps speedo units], v, v+, and all the rest of the street pilot series. if you buy a gps be sure you can return it if it does work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Garmin 3210 with GPS-17 antenna.

I am able to hook my GPS up to my SC5000 System View and it works fine (white w/blue tracer and blue w/white tracer leads).

I hook that same GPS lead up to my SC1000 System Speedo and nadda. I bridge the two together; the SC5000 works and SC1000 still nadda. I deleted all inputs from other sources (PITOT tube and paddle wheel) speedo stays on 0MPH.

I called Merc at 920-929-5040, option 3 for outboards and spoke with Joe. He said the white with blue tracer and blue with white tracer were the correct GPS leads. I have done a master reset on the gauge and still nadda.

?????

Def SC1000?

GPS is set to NEMA IN/OUT, other option is "garmin data trasfer" and NEMA hi-speed I think?

Twin 300XS boat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dass.jpg   dss.jpg   dasss.jpg  
    Last edited by MarylandMark; 05-12-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Hey guys remember that all Garmin units come set up the same way..

In order to interface and have your Garmin talk with any other nmea devise, you need go to the comm ports and switch them on, as they are factory preset to speak the Garmin proprietary language.
    On the now older Smartcraft Sytem View displays are interfaced with nmea in only two wire operation mainly to give the unit heading.
    The new Smartcraft Vessel View display comes with nmea in and out and it's own harness w/mercury plug........plugs right on to the Mercury Junction block. The technology is sweet Ive equipped close to fifty new boats with these Garmin 5212 or 5215 units since they been out a little over a year now. They are more durable than any other Garmin models from previous years which had moisture problems........BTW if your unit ever does this and your not under warranty....pull out your chip.....fire it up with the little door open and the heat of the unit and the ventilation will cause the condensation to go away.
    The only Nav units that are compatible with Smartcraft systems are Northstar and you need a gateway(special module w/harnessand it's not just plug and play either there is a special number sequence you must punch in to access a menu/window which will enable you to program the system to talk.
    I love this *****. There's alot of stuff the manuals won't tell ya........hahaha
    And call tech support........some of those monkeys are reading a script....lmao called the other day and had to tell the kid who answered, son....how long you been outta school cause you obviously have no time in the field.....let me talk to your father.....lmfao
    Good Luck all,
    FIG OUT!
    Last edited by Fast Fig; 05-12-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fig View Post
    In order to interface and have your Garmin talk with any other nmea devise, you need go to the comm ports and switch them on, as they are factory preset to speak the Garmin proprietary language.
    Yep- did that. I can go to advanced and there is a list of about 25 things that can be in the NEMA sentances;left that at default for now.
    On the now older Smartcraft Sytem View displays are interfaced with nmea in only two wire operation mainly to give the unit heading.
    That being the white/blue & blue/white lead I speak of. They give the SC5000 heading and MPH which is fine, I want to get the MPH to my SC1000 as well. That's all I want- the speed to show up on the SC1000 speedo- if I can get the speed and headnig on the SC5000 as well even better. I would guess my NEMA sentances and language is setup correctly if it is working on the SC5000 right; which points me to def SC1000?

Garmin 5212 or 5215 units
    I wish I had one of these but space is an issue- 3210 was the biggest I could put in that was available (ordered boat 12/06 & delivery 3/07)

pull out your chip.....fire it up with the little door open and the heat of the unit and the ventilation will cause the condensation to go away.
    Good tip- THANKS!

And call tech support
    Been there; done that- why I am here to talk to the real professionals!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread dig instead of starting a new one.

I’m looking to replace my sun damaged SC5000 with a new display, either a vessel view, simrad or Lowrance.

Being completely new to the mercury stuff, does anyone have knowledge if:

1. A brand new vessel view 703 is a direct plug in?
    2. A brand new vessel view link (required for Simrad/Lowrance MFD?) will directly plug in?

Boat is a Australian Bullet 2100 with a 2010 Mercury 250XS

appreciate any help at all, thanks!
    Last edited by VGP; 12-23-2022 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are "direct plugin" however software version issues often pop up when upgrading only part of the smartcraft system. But, you never know if you will have comm issues due to different versions till you plug in and find out. For example: when I'm rigging a new 4stroke on a boat that already have full smartcraft from an older optimax I still recommend new gauges and harnesses to customers so all the stuff stays the same version. I've seen some WEIRD issues when combining smartcraft version 4.0 and 5.0 parts with version 8.0 and 9.0 gauges/displays.

That being said the Smartcraft Connect Module is a nice new tool that allows you to get vessel view on a mfd without having a stand alone vessel view display to run through. However: they are still working out kinks in the Smartcraft Connect. This module is different than a Smartcraft=NMEA gateway which just translates the smarcraft engine data to NMEA. The Smartcraft Connect Module gets the full Vessel View data onto your MFD (but it must be Garmin or Raymarine). Your engine (2010) is new enough that it should have no issues talking to the newest smartcraft stuff (whether it be a 703 or a vv, or a Smartcraft Connect). I mostly see comm issues with 2002-2005 engines.

8. Likes VGP liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been offered a vesselview multi engine link box, but will it work on a single engine?
    I don’t know if it will try to display 2 sets of engine data and I lose half my screen usage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, possibly going in a new direction.

Will a vesselview 4 display also output the same data as a vesselview link box so I can also see all the data on a GO9 Simrad or similar Lowrance screen?

Or is a separate Vesselview link required?

Thanks to the brains trust here ��